show of hands... 2009 Election

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Who wants another federal election in 2009?

I want it
No votes
I don't want it
100%
undecided
No votes

Total votes: 9

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

show of hands... 2009 Election

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:49 am

no bias, just a simple question, and if you feel like it, explain why below or what you want to see happen.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Re: show of hands... 2009 Election

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:26 am

I'm not a Canadian citizen, nor do I live in Canada, so I cant vote, so my opinion doesn't matter, but as one that plans on moving up in a few years, I do have some advice and a view on what I want to see happen.

imho, I don't want to see a federal Canadian election in 2009. I don't like Harper and like to see him hit the road, but anyone that tries to get him out by an election this year will either lose, or will gain little from it (sure Harper is gone, but you only get a minority). It doesn't seem worth the cost and with the Global and Canadian economy slowly recovering so I hear, it be a very bad time for it, possibility worse than in 2008. If the Liberals are so keen on overthrowing Harper now, I suggest they try to do what they did last winter, and try and form a coalition with the NDP and Bloc, who likely are still upset over being abandoned. If they cant do that, they need to wait it out, but I cant see the NDP turning a chance to get into any type of government down.

If the Liberals cant get a majority, whats the point? and worse, there is a very real danger that this election could give Harper the majority government he has for so long be trying to accomplish as ticked off voters mite decide to put an end to any left parties attempts, and give the Tories full power. So any election can prove to be disastrous.

NDP has been a real disappointment to me, who likes that party, this year. They were upset over the Liberals leaving them when imho they should have joined the liberals, and keep any kind of alliance intact, but instead they acted like soiled brats. They said they would oppose Harper at every opportunity. But now, they have a real opportunity to get rid of Harper, and all of a sudden, cuz there numbers are down, they are reluctant to join the Liberals. That imo, is doing them more damage than help, cuz if they want people to vote for them, they have to be able to back up their words, and they aren't doing it. Makes one wonder how good they can be in government if they cant make the decision to push the button in a time of crisis.

Bloc is the only other party to come out of the coalition debacle with any positives, but now imho they have make there first big mistake by standing by Harper, for now. One imagines that not many Quebecois voters like Harper after he called them secessionists, etc etc etc. This could cause them to vote for Liberal if there is a 2009 election and not Bloc, but time will tell.

The Greens, on a liter note, mite get one or a few seats, which is good as one believes they need a voice in parliament, no matter how small or atm it being the senate or commons. One prefers it via a by election than a federal one for this year. Lets hope this time they can hold onto there gains.

What I suggest is unless there is a coalition, there should be no election in 2009. All non Tory parties need to want it out, and keep Harper on his toes until at least 2010 or 2011. When an election does come, to achieve a majority it would best for the Liberals and NDP to run under the same ticket in a coalition, as they would be able to keep most of the seats they have won, and win more seats together than separated. What the bloc's role will be in that set up is unknown, but the coalition will not leave Quebec to them. No matter what, if the Liberal-NDP coalition does well, as I am sure it will, they will be somewhat supportive of it. In any case, the only way imho the Liberals can get a majority is with a coalition with the NDP, nothing more or less will do, but any election before 2010 will just hurt their chances than help them.

Liberals and NDP need to spend the rest of the year trying to find someway the two can form a coalition either this year, or in 2010, and come to some agreement when they can force and election, and run together on the same ticket in order to obtain a majority.

PS

heck for the hell of it, the Liberals and NDP should add the small Progressive Canadian (PC) party into the mix, every vote counts now.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 am

Simple economics and selfish need for power

- The Liberals need to have the election before the economy recovers

- The NDP want no election because the Liberals will take their seats back

- The Bloq doesn't want to lose seats to the Libs either

- The Conservatives do not want an election until the economy recovers. When that happens ... HARPER will force and election we don't want. He'll use some lame excuse like "I can't work with these guys" and call an election.

Basically. 4 reasons that sum up why Canadians have turned off politics. Nothing but self serving asses that could give a crap for the people and will flip flop on everything as long as the result serves their purpose.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Ron wrote:Simple economics and selfish need for power

- The Liberals need to have the election before the economy recovers

- The NDP want no election because the Liberals will take their seats back

- The Bloq doesn't want to lose seats to the Libs either

- The Conservatives do not want an election until the economy recovers. When that happens ... HARPER will force and election we don't want. He'll use some lame excuse like "I can't work with these guys" and call an election.

Basically. 4 reasons that sum up why Canadians have turned off politics. Nothing but self serving asses that could give a crap for the people and will flip flop on everything as long as the result serves their purpose.
one would think that with the economy in the rough, and with that crisis last winter, Canadians would be more involved with politics by telling Ottawa that they don't want an election until 2012.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:19 pm

http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/

this is a fascinating website that does it's homework.

Since Iggy made his speech 3 weeks ago, this graph that sounds who would get what seats if an election were held on a selected day, shows the conservatives would still have the most seats, and have for the last few weeks.

http://www.electionalmanac.com/canada/projections.php

One projection shows Tories with a 150 majority, there highest number. The highest the Liberals got is a 128, NDP, for better or worse, is 42, Bloc is 53, and the poor Greens, and I hope they finally get this number, is just 1.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?