After Elizabeth II: Monarchy in Peril

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

What should Canada be after Queen Liz the 2nd?

Monarchy
20%
Republic
50%
don't care
30%

Total votes: 10

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

After Elizabeth II: Monarchy in Peril

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHXa2hz5JLY

I haven't seen this doc yet, but when I get the chance I will, mite even get it on DVD.

Did anyone here see it on CBC? and what did you think of it?

great how this was on telly so soon after the royal vist. :beauty:

I wish Tony Benn had been UK PM. :?

IMHO, Canada should be a republic once Lizzy passes on. We have, assuming she lives as long as her mom, about 19 years to decide on what form that republic will be. I have said in the past pretty much what I'd like Canada to be, but what are some of your ideas?
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Re: After Elizabeth II: Monarchy in Peril

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm

two posters voted for monarchy, I'd like to know why they did if they want to say anything.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm

It's just a ceremonial post these days, and Canadian taxpayers pay nothing except when any of those Germans are here for a visit. But if there was a referendum I might vote to abolish the monarchy, or more likely I wouldn't be bothered to vote.

At least we changed our flag 40+ years ago, which I think is far more relevant. Don't know what countries like Australia and New Zealand are waiting for. It's funny how they kiss British butt more than Canada even though Canada is much closer geographically.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 am

argolio wrote:It's just a ceremonial post these days, and Canadian taxpayers pay nothing except when any of those Germans are here for a visit. But if there was a referendum I might vote to abolish the monarchy, or more likely I wouldn't be bothered to vote.

At least we changed our flag 40+ years ago, which I think is far more relevant. Don't know what countries like Australia and New Zealand are waiting for. It's funny how they kiss British butt more than Canada even though Canada is much closer geographically.
The Aussies and Kiwis will change their flag someday, it's just a matter of time, but I think we are too divided on what to do to come up with an effective consensus. As an Aussie, I'm sorry to say, the Kiwis will likely be the first to change their flag as they system works faster than ours, but they have a lot more pro monarchy people than Australia does in terms of %s.

IMHO, becoming a republic or uniting with New Zealand (in either a way like Canada did with Newfoundland, having them be a state but with significant autonomy, or more likely a EU union) are more important pressing issues than changing the flag, and if Australia does unite with NZ, though would require a new flag, and that's when the debate should happen, which would IMHO result in a new flag, which I see to be like that of South Africa's current flag.

IMHO, it's the whole concept of the perception of being under the UK's thumb, and having a system with a role of HOS that a person is born into (or chooses the HOS of another nation), hurts our images as an independent nation. The whole symbol of it just doesn't work if you want your country to be seen by the world as a truly independent sovereign nation. In the end, I think our systems should have control over the whole process of picking a HOS, and we should cut this last remaining imperial tie with the UK for good. That's why I favor a republic. The taxpayers still pay for the GG, and it would be better if their officials or the people had more say in how that person is chosen.

Someday, a vote is coming, and if we have a model of a republic that the majority of people agree to, we should do it. Those that don;t like it can always try to fix it later. So when the day comes, say YES to republic! and NO to Monarchy and Imperialism!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?