Canada should stay in Afgahnistan until the job is done

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Canada should stay in Afgahnistan until the job is done

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm

we should not only remain there, but we should stay as a fighting military force. If we pull out, we will get a reputation for being wimps and pussies, not to mention quiters.
Don't confuse me with facts

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Re: Canada should stay in Afgahnistan until the job is done

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Disagree with you on this one.

I actually know a couple of people who have been deployed over there and the general opinion is that it could take a generation or more to move the Afghans into a system that is fair and not based on bribes, drugs, assassination and so on. When the current leadership is involved in that up to it's neck (this is pretty much a direct opinion from soldiers who have been in the field), then it becomes another attempt in a long line of attempts to make that country something different than it is and has always been. That being a poor country, marred by sectarian and non-sectarian violence (sometimes it is hard to tell the difference) where you have a groups of "Haves and Have Nothing'. The former being pretty much willing to do anything to keep it that way.

WWII was 6 years, we have already been in Afghanistan for going on 9 years.
This is a NATO operation being run with the blessing of the UN. Where are some of the other NATO countries? How many soldiers have they put in the field and lost over the last 8 years. Some have pulled their weight, others, not so much. If the UN and NATO really wants to maintain the commitment long enough to complete the makeover, then others need to chip in. I don't mind if Canada leaves and then rotates back in somewhere down the line but to stay until the job is done might mean 30 years of ongoing military commitments to a country that seems to empower unscrupulous, greedy leadership. Canada doesn't owe that much blood IMO to Afghanistan. This is an old nation with old ways and while change is possible, I think it is going to take a lot longer than politicians suggest.
Lest We Forget!

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm

You make a lot of good points sir P. However, I beleive the job needs to be done, for the good of the world. I beleive its needs to be finished. If it is not, then all Canadian Soldiers who died there basically died for nothing. Just like Americans in Viet Nam.
Don't confuse me with facts

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm

You don't need to convince me that it would be a good thing to accomplish. I agree with you on that. Where I need convincing is that Canada needs to commit to what I honestly believe will be at least 20 years of blood letting while other countries that supposedly agree offer token or no assistance at all. All I am really arguing is that everybody take a fair share of the job.
Lest We Forget!