Voting should be mandatory

Nothing seems to rile up the masses more than these two topics. As a result you can only talk about either in here. this forum will not be moderated, however if it gets really ugly you can report a post

Moderator: Referees

Pakalolo
Starter
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Voting should be mandatory

Post by Pakalolo » Sun May 26, 2013 7:54 pm

If you don't vote, you should be fined.
People should be teaching their kids to be interested in politics. I believe in majority rules, but not when over 50 percent of our population are too fat and lazy to go out and mark a ballot.
I don't know if it's because of too much immigration or wat have you, but having so many people not caring who runs our Gov't is disturbing to me. IMO. They do it in Australia, so why not here.
Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional...

T-Bone
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Voting should be mandatory

Post by T-Bone » Wed May 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Pakalolo wrote:If you don't vote, you should be fined.
People should be teaching their kids to be interested in politics. I believe in majority rules, but not when over 50 percent of our population are too fat and lazy to go out and mark a ballot.
I don't know if it's because of too much immigration or wat have you, but having so many people not caring who runs our Gov't is disturbing to me. IMO. They do it in Australia, so why not here.
So force people to participate in a democracy. Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

|||The decline of people voting and using their right to vote is on the decline. Experts can only guess why. Forcing people to vote might only make people mark a misinformed choice. But the reason is to allow the younger generation to become more informed. Some older generations have become lazy. 50 to 60 percent voter turnout is abysmal. Democracy should be more represented.Voter turnout should be higher. A free pint would be my idea.
Using the word oxymoron is not much of an argument.
It was my "mad wisdom".
If it was any kind of argument it had a 'deafening silence" on me.
Thanks
Any response will be met with the "sounds of silence". :beer:

T-Bone
Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by T-Bone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 am

Pakalolo wrote:|||The decline of people voting and using their right to vote is on the decline. Experts can only guess why. Forcing people to vote might only make people mark a misinformed choice. But the reason is to allow the younger generation to become more informed. Some older generations have become lazy. 50 to 60 percent voter turnout is abysmal. Democracy should be more represented.Voter turnout should be higher. A free pint would be my idea.
Using the word oxymoron is not much of an argument.
It was my "mad wisdom".
If it was any kind of argument it had a 'deafening silence" on me.
Thanks
Any response will be met with the "sounds of silence". :beer:
Ok. I don't believe forcing people to vote by threatening them with fines is the best approach to improving voter turn out. Making basic politics a mandatory course in high school would be better in my opinion. I also feel that basic criminal code should be taught at a high school level as well as basic finance. How many people actually know their rights as citizens of Canada under the law and how many are in credit card debt? If you teach the importance of these things to youth they are far more likely to care about them in the future. I think that would be far more effective than people going into a both putting an X in a box because they don't want to pay a fine.

greatmysticbushape
Playground Scrub

Post by greatmysticbushape » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am

maybe the new Canadians will show us the way.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I should think incentives would work better in this regard in the form of a tax credit. People may not care about democracy but they will often do anything to save a buck. It would be a once every 4 year thing so not too costly. Provinces could choose to emulate as well on the Provincial side of taxes.
Lest We Forget!

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:I should think incentives would work better in this regard in the form of a tax credit. People may not care about democracy but they will often do anything to save a buck. It would be a once every 4 year thing so not too costly. Provinces could choose to emulate as well on the Provincial side of taxes.
Definitely an innovative brain type thinker. You must have pulsating veins in your head. Great idea.
I have a sixteen year old. She could care less. Her friends as well. But an incentive??? And I know for a fact , BC politics was discussed.
Thats why they put the Sir in Purrcival. Solutions as opposed to bitching.
:D

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by prairiedog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Voting should be boycotted. People who don't vote should be commended. We should all get together on election day and raise a glass to NOT voting. Let the world know loud and clear that NONE of these crooked trough slobberers are fit to lead us.

We should rely more on ourselves our close friends and family and our neighbors rather than the delegation of a small corrupted group with basically ZERO incentive to act in the best interest of the common man.

Voting is a validation and affirmation of a system that lets crooked old cronies take half your money (hard earned sweat) and gives it to banks and other large faceless corporations that literally cause the very problems around you that you ask the government to solve.

The more that we rely on ourselves than on the government and other gross institutions the less need there is for government and in this way we have far greater influence on changing how we are led than we ever have by voting for crook A or liar B. Voting merely perpetuates the spiral we have now.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Fast forward a couple of years and it seems voting is a big deal on this election. 3.6 million voters in the advance polls alone out of an estimated 26 million illegible voters . Maybe that is the answer. A few years of a lack of openness and democracy and what do you know. Suddenly, people seem motivated..
Lest We Forget!