We Need More Canadian Coaches

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

ilovetheriders
Playground Hero

We Need More Canadian Coaches

Post by ilovetheriders » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:46 pm

Does anyone know why CFL teams the majority of the time hire American coaches? I know there are some Canadians coaches with teams in co-ordinator and other positions but still not alot overall. I know some people will argue they pick the most talented people and if they're American then so be it. It would be nice to see more Canadian coaches. Further to that it would be nice if it wasn't the same rotation of head coaches, that is starting to slowly change.

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

better football training is likely the reason why we use american coaches. no offense to the canadian guys but the require longer development even at the coaching ranks to really stand a chance in the CFL.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

OVDB
Superstar

Post by OVDB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 pm

Cause it's such a "radical" league?

Joepritch2
Champion

Post by Joepritch2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:39 pm

More football training is one thing, but I can tell you for a fact that American coaches don't spend a lot of time with twelve man football, the larger field, or the rouge possibilities. I'd think a guy that had played the CFL game and went on to the US to coach would be a much better option than someone that's never dealt with the game before.

Bosco
Rookie
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Bosco » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 pm

The key for franchises that hire head coaches with no previous CFL experience is to surround them with assistants that do have an extensive CFL background.

American vs Canadian is not as much as an issue as experience with the CFL game.
The Lions retool...never rebuild!

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:08 pm

Joepritch2 wrote:More football training is one thing, but I can tell you for a fact that American coaches don't spend a lot of time with twelve man football, the larger field, or the rouge possibilities. I'd think a guy that had played the CFL game and went on to the US to coach would be a much better option than someone that's never dealt with the game before.
when it comes to some of the canadian rules I agree the american coaches aren't prepared. But when it comes to the training and thus the training they can pass on to their players they are miles ahead. Blocking is blocking in both leagues, running is running, atc, many of the fundamentals of the game are the same for both. so as long as the american coach has a few canadians in the assistant ranks to help with the rules the american provides better skills knowledge.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Joepritch2
Champion

Post by Joepritch2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:19 pm

And see, my thought process tells me that it'd be just fine to have an American (that is, one not knowledgeable on the CFL game) as a position coach to teach skills, but the one I'd want running the ship is someone that's been there and done that with the CFL rules and strategies, even if it was just a couple of years of playing the game. The less experience the head coach has in the game, the more he has to delegate authority and trust his coordinators to help make the right call. Both ways, however, can work if done right.

jaxon
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by jaxon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Joepritch2 wrote:And see, my thought process tells me that it'd be just fine to have an American (that is, one not knowledgeable on the CFL game) as a position coach to teach skills, but the one I'd want running the ship is someone that's been there and done that with the CFL rules and strategies, even if it was just a couple of years of playing the game. The less experience the head coach has in the game, the more he has to delegate authority and trust his coordinators to help make the right call. Both ways, however, can work if done right.
There is quite a difference at all of the positions. Take a QB coach for example. A significant, heck, the most significant attribute of a QB is his ability to read a defence. There are a hundred kids a year coming out of college who can throw a ball, and two hundred that can hand one off. What takes them to the next level is leadship ability and knowledge. In the Canadian Game, you see significantly different formations in the defence than you see in the US. The offence is doing things differently as well. This is due to several factors:

1. Wider Field.
Our field size makes certain plays operate in different fashions. A sideline pattern can be a much different throw here than in the US. A sweep to the outside is a longer run.

2. Wider Hashmarks.
In the US, the hashmarks are much closer to each other. Their "strong side" is not as pronounced as ours.

3. 12 men
I could ramble on ad nauseum about the difference that this makes, but I think most fans understand it.

4. Motion.
This is the least understood difference. This is incredibly more complex in our game. Having multiple people in motion creates multiple reads. An offence often uses motion to get a pre-snap read on the defence. They have a couple of seconds to try to figure out if the defence is in a man or a zone. Is it cover 0, cover 1, cover 2, or cover 3. If it's cover 3, is it a "cut" or a "hold", or a variation?

The QB coach needs to be an expert on these in order to instruct the QB on what to look for. Is the safety cheating? Is the LB going with the RB that you've sent to the flats? All of these situations are different here than they are in the US. A QB coach isn't just about the throwing technique.

I think that in general, Canadian coaches are undervalued, especially as co-ordinators. Like all jobs, however, good candidates learn constantly. A good coach's basic skill set involves being an excellent communicator. If I were the head coach, the most important thing to me is having a co-ordinator that I communicate well with. We have to be on the same wave-length so to speak. If we communicate well, and they are dedicated to their job, they can learn the rest.
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 pm

There are a lot more Canadian coaches in the CFL now than there were even 10 or 15 years ago. That is a trend that I see continuing. I suspect that one of the inspirations for this thread is Montreal's pending hiring of Marc Trestman but that sort of hiring (i.e. a mostly NFL coach with no CFL experience) is quite rare these days although much more common twenty or thirty years ago.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Once I see Canadian qbs playing in the CFL then I'll know we are finally on the right track.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

ghosttiger
Rookie

Re: We Need More Canadian Coaches

Post by ghosttiger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 am

ilovetheriders wrote:Does anyone know why CFL teams the majority of the time hire American coaches? I...
Actually, many of the 'American' coaches in this league played in the CFL.

Aside from that, the nationality of a coach should be insignificant. What counts is their ability to improve your team and athletes. And down the road, that improves the quality of your home-grown coaches.
Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.
-Honore de Balzac

hgtff
Champion

Post by hgtff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 am

couple seasons ago there were quite a number of canadian head coaches, about half I think, but now things have swung back.

alawishus
Rookie

Post by alawishus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:18 am

Nothing wrong with having a Canadian coach if his name is Wally Buono.