Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Terencius1
All Star
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: Noise Pollution... Just Say No

Post by Terencius1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Solar Max wrote:
Terencius1 wrote:In BC, they are a little more subtle, it's the canned noise or crowd cheering, passed through the PA system.

Nothing subtle about it; they only do it for games against Regina. That ain't subtle.

SHHHH, Now every other teams knows. :tease: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

And your right, it AIN'T subtle. THey got caught! :tease: :yahoo:

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Terencius1 wrote:
Solar Max wrote:
Terencius1 wrote:In BC, they are a little more subtle, it's the canned noise or crowd cheering, passed through the PA system.

Nothing subtle about it; they only do it for games against Regina. That ain't subtle.

Well, when Carm Carteri is the Noise cop, Lions don't worry about doing any time. :wink:

Anything that riles Rider fans in BC Place (especially the more conspiracy theory oriented Rider fans) is awesome. Watching you guys psyche yourselves out over that is worth the price of admission alone.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Terencius1
All Star

Post by Terencius1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Solar Max wrote:
Terencius1 wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

Well, when Carm Carteri is the Noise cop, Lions don't worry about doing any time. :wink:

Anything that riles Rider fans in BC Place (especially the more conspiracy theory oriented Rider fans) is awesome. Watching you guys psyche yourselves out over that is worth the price of admission alone.

Yea, we pyched ourselves out last year........NOT :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously though, it is bad form for anything BUT FAN reaction. I am ALL FOR fans screaming their lungs out, Trying to disrupt the opposition Offense, un-prompted, without canned noise, that's part of what being a fan is all about. The Noise level at Mosaic stadia is LOUD, the Stands are FULL of Green jerseys. It's an intimidating place to play in, as it should be, thoughout the league, whether it be in BC place or Ivor wynn in Hamilton, or the Renegades.

Freak
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Freak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Winnipeg and Regina are both awesome to go to games at. The crowds know football, the PA guys know that, and the atmosphere is unbeatable anywhere in the league because of it, IMO. And sacrilege for me to say or not, Regina's that little extra bit crazy and fun compared to here.

Freak
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Freak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Further, I've never seen a "make some noise" graphic in either city, at least not that one that has any impact whatsoever. The crowd knows.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Freak wrote: BC Sucks.

:beer:

:fishin:
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by prairiedog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Actually, they got a sideline PA announcer here in BC that likes to growl his head off Come on letsss rrrrripp the rrrrooooofff offf this plaaaace!" that I find annoying. Not because I root for the visiting Riders but just because I'm kinda old school and it sounds so juvenile.

Don;t get me wrong, it's in the Lions right to do it, and I'm not against it per se, I could just do without it in any stadium.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!

heh

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by prairiedog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Terencius1 wrote:In Mosaic Stadia at Taylor Field, the Announcer is NOT a cheerleader. And the Fans know, when to cheer and when to shut up. So bring on the NOISE at the appropriate time and without prompting by the so-called announcer. The World could use a little more "Cow Bell".

I will say this. In 2006 I attended games in BC, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg, and I can tell you for a fact that Taylor Field is the only one of the five that had ZERO crowd prompting from the PA or the scoreboard. Mind you, Edmonton and Calgary were like a library (Edmonton was the Milt Stegall 100 yard TD game and seriously the first 58 minutes were a horrible snoozer - and the Calgary game was Joe Smith destroying the Stamps so), but all four of the other stadiums had AT LEAST a fan-o-meter a couple times during the game. I saw 2 games at TF that year (Argos, the Spergon Wynn halftime show, and Winnipeg Labour Day) and I can certifiably say that at those 2 games there was absolutely no crowd prompting whatsoever and I was surprised by that. The last game that I saw at TF before that was the 52-52 tie with Calgary in 2000.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!

heh

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:59 pm

In the late 60's & early 70's I remember watching Argos games on television & the PA announcer's voice would come in thru the television speakers. If an Argo player had a nice run or catch as soon as he broke it or made the catch & before the player was tackled you'd hear.. "RAIMEY!!!' or "SYMONS!!" If it was a nice catch, "EBEN!!" or "PROFIT!!" . I always thought that people in the stands at CNE Stadium would get annoyed with the guy. Any oldtimers remember that?
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:51 am

iso_55 wrote:In the late 60's & early 70's I remember watching Argos games on television & the PA announcer's voice would come in thru the television speakers. If an Argo player had a nice run or catch as soon as he broke it or made the catch & before the player was tackled you'd hear.. "RAIMEY!!!' or "SYMONS!!" If it was a nice catch, "EBEN!!" or "PROFIT!!" . I always thought that people in the stands at CNE Stadium would get annoyed with the guy. Any oldtimers remember that?

I recall you mentioning this before, Iso, and when I watched the 1976 Grey Cup again, I heard the PA announcer do just what you said. I think that it was the PA announcer before Fred Locking but I don't know who the guy was. If anyone has a Facts, Figures and Records book from 1976 or a few years before, his name might very well be in there.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 am

Was this thread moved here for any particular reason? Just wondering.

Cheers

BigRedMachine
Champion
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Post by BigRedMachine » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 am

BBBob wrote:Was this thread moved here for any particular reason? Just wondering.

Cheers

I saw it here and tried to move it back and merge it with the other one with the same title with no success so I moved it back here. Not sure why it was here originally...

Gary
"It is people like GreyCupGarry who make the CFL our league, Canada’s league."

-- Jaime Stein, CFL.ca

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:
iso_55 wrote:In the late 60's & early 70's I remember watching Argos games on television & the PA announcer's voice would come in thru the television speakers. If an Argo player had a nice run or catch as soon as he broke it or made the catch & before the player was tackled you'd hear.. "RAIMEY!!!' or "SYMONS!!" If it was a nice catch, "EBEN!!" or "PROFIT!!" . I always thought that people in the stands at CNE Stadium would get annoyed with the guy. Any oldtimers remember that?

I recall you mentioning this before, Iso, and when I watched the 1976 Grey Cup again, I heard the PA announcer do just what you said. I think that it was the PA announcer before Fred Locking but I don't know who the guy was. If anyone has a Facts, Figures and Records book from 1976 or a few years before, his name might very well be in there.

One of the quirky things I remember as a fan from too, too many years ago, Ravi.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

alawishus
Rookie

Post by alawishus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:29 pm

IMO there is too much PA noise in the Rogers Center. I come home with a headache after every game. I know the younger generation are all half deaf from listening to getto blasters but have mercy on us older fans that can still hear. lol