possible BLUE BOMBERS fire Berry after Friday.

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

FXIrving
Playground Scrub

possible BLUE BOMBERS fire Berry after Friday.

Post by FXIrving » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm

So says now that a rumour is surfacing in Winnipeg. I'm a big Bomber fans and nothing hurts me more than this terrible start. Who to blame?

Well since today is a holiday a regular radio host today broke a report that David Asper might be introduced as the new owner for the Blue Bombers at the end of the month around Labour Day.

And that he might be calling shots and trying to get his own people in. Well the rumour here in Winnipeg is that if the Blue Bombers lose either 1 of the next 2 in a bad way both the GM who I don't know his name, and the Coach Doug Berry will be dismissed. Or maybe Berry is the GM, not sure but I heard coach and gm so maybe it's just Doug Berry.

A name that was mentioned was Roy Shivers and that he would bring back Danny Barrett. How is that for additional mix to a heated rival.

FXIrving
Playground Scrub

Re: possible BLUE BOMBERS fire Berry after Friday.

Post by FXIrving » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm

George Cortez was the other named mention.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:16 pm

FXIrving wrote: A name that was mentioned was Roy Shivers and that he would bring back Danny Barrett. How is that for additional mix to a heated rival.
Good way for Rider fans to have even more pity for the Bombers...
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
FXIrving wrote: A name that was mentioned was Roy Shivers and that he would bring back Danny Barrett. How is that for additional mix to a heated rival.
Well at least it would unite the two camps within the Rider fan base. The old group loving Roy and Danny would jump ship on that front pronto. As for this report, I will believe it when I see it, until then it is pretty funny.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:55 pm

FXIrving wrote:George Cortez was the other named mention.
couldn't be Cortez until next season, CFL teams don't take coordinators from teams in midseason
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:18 pm

Nothing fishy at all about this.
I'm a big Bomber fan
Which isn't bad but then we get:
GM who I don't know his name
and
Or maybe Berry is the GM
Then add in some:
A name that was mentioned was Roy Shivers and that he would bring back Danny Barrett
and it seems like this is an elaborate trolling. It's a good effort, though.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Nah, it's not all that elaborate, or good an effort... but there isn't a whole lot else going on today :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Hugoagogo
Starter

Post by Hugoagogo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Who would they replace him with is the big question... In Eskie town, the thought that Coach Danny could be turfed if Edmonton didn't start strong out of the gate was quickly met with the realization that there's not much of a pool to draw from for both the GM & Head Coach position in mid-season. Is there someone within the organization that could assume either responsibility on an interim basis?
SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by woody » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Hugoagogo wrote:Who would they replace him with is the big question... In Eskie town, the thought that Coach Danny could be turfed if Edmonton didn't start strong out of the gate was quickly met with the realization that there's not much of a pool to draw from for both the GM & Head Coach position in mid-season. Is there someone within the organization that could assume either responsibility on an interim basis?
Same problem in Hamilton! :?

Personally, I think the assistants are the biggest problem...Charlie picked 'em...now we are stuck with both...Who is available to replace them in mid-season? :roll:

As far as Berry is concerned in Winnipeg though, I think he has had some bad luck with "injuries"...he has shown he can coach a winner and I don't think he has forgotten how to coach!

I'd cut him more slack than Charlie Taaffe any day!
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by LRCHC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
And a good way for my ex-fellow bomber fans to join me on the dark side and start cheering for the Edmonton Eskimos! It's not that hard bomber friends, as I'm sure most of you cheer for the Oilers now anyway :D

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by LRCHC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 pm

woody wrote:
Hugoagogo wrote:Who would they replace him with is the big question... In Eskie town, the thought that Coach Danny could be turfed if Edmonton didn't start strong out of the gate was quickly met with the realization that there's not much of a pool to draw from for both the GM & Head Coach position in mid-season. Is there someone within the organization that could assume either responsibility on an interim basis?

Personally, I think the assistants are the biggest problem...Charlie picked 'em...now we are stuck with both...Who is available to replace them in mid-season? :roll:

As far as Berry is concerned in Winnipeg though, I think he has had some bad luck with "injuries"...he has shown he can coach a winner and I don't think he has forgotten how to coach!

What injuries? Look at Saskatchewan - they've lost TWO Qb's and are down to their now 'first' stringer (who arbuably is the worst of the three). Edmonton has lost their best olineman, their best receiver, their (arguably - not playing like it in the beginning be he was coming on) best Def. end, and have Barney Rubble as coach! Yet they're the top two teams in the league!

As for the team itself, lets see, they reward mediocrity with a huge contract (Glenn), they fail to bring in players to challenge existing players (Roberts, secondary), and even though the whole world knows that Westwood was on his way out at the end of last year, Taman and Berry do nothing to bring in another good Canadian kicker. However, they still cut Westwood, sign (for whatever reason) O'Mahoney (and he promptly breaks his big toe in the hotel room, I still say he got tanked and was practicing in the room, probably kicked a tea pot or something, I mean c'mon, we've all stubbed our toes, how do you break the freaking thing just walking to the bathroom?) is signed for a second time even though he proved last year he was more pathetic than Westwood, so they now need to use a US kicker....... good planning guys!

And to top it all off, they now have two in a row at home against eastern clubs. I can almost guarantee you that if the bombers lose both games, Berry is gone. Greg Marshall will take over as the coach mid stream btw. Whether he keeps it or not depends on how they do the rest of the way. But Berry is hanging on right now.

Hey, that reminds me, time to start another thread!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 am

First of all. Cortez is the OC in Calgary & the Stamps would never let him go mid season. Second, Barrett is OC at the University at Buffalo which is a Div 1-AA school. Barrett found success there with Turner Gill last year. Based on what college coaches that are OC's make, he'd be better off to stay in the NCAA. Third, Shivers is under contract to the Lions & like the Stamps with Cortez, Wally would never let him go mid season.
So, nice try with these so called "rumours". Maybe an over stimulated & imaginative mind...
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by woody » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 am

LRCHC wrote:
woody wrote:

What injuries?
Look at Saskatchewan - they've lost TWO Qb's and are down to their now 'first' stringer (who arbuably is the worst of the three). Edmonton has lost their best olineman, their best receiver, their (arguably - not playing like it in the beginning be he was coming on) best Def. end, and have Barney Rubble as coach! Yet they're the top two teams in the league!

As for the team itself, lets see, they reward mediocrity with a huge contract (Glenn), they fail to bring in players to challenge existing players (Roberts, secondary), and even though the whole world knows that Westwood was on his way out at the end of last year, Taman and Berry do nothing to bring in another good Canadian kicker. However, they still cut Westwood, sign (for whatever reason) O'Mahoney (and he promptly breaks his big toe in the hotel room, I still say he got tanked and was practicing in the room, probably kicked a tea pot or something, I mean c'mon, we've all stubbed our toes, how do you break the freaking thing just walking to the bathroom?) is signed for a second time even though he proved last year he was more pathetic than Westwood, so they now need to use a US kicker....... good planning guys!

And to top it all off, they now have two in a row at home against eastern clubs. I can almost guarantee you that if the bombers lose both games, Berry is gone. Greg Marshall will take over as the coach mid stream btw. Whether he keeps it or not depends on how they do the rest of the way. But Berry is hanging on right now.

Hey, that reminds me, time to start another thread!
While you did a fair job of answering your own question...You forgot Milt Stegall. :wink:

Anyway, if the "powers that be" out in Winnipeg see fit to make a change, at least you have Greg Marshall to go to.
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 am

iso_55 wrote:First of all. Cortez is the OC in Calgary & the Stamps would never let him go mid season. Second, Barrett is OC at the University at Buffalo which is a Div 1-AA school. Barrett found success there with Turner Gill last year. Based on what college coaches that are OC's make, he'd be better off to stay in the NCAA. Third, Shivers is under contract to the Lions & like the Stamps with Cortez, Wally would never let him go mid season.
So, nice try with these so called "rumours". Maybe an over stimulated & imaginative mind...
I agree with all your points except for the point about what Danny Barrett makes as an OC. True, Kent Austin is making about the same coin as OC at Old Miss, as he was making as HC in the CFL. But you have to remember, Old Miss sells out 80,000+ every game. They have a huge budget as all SEC teams have. UB, on the other hand, would be lucky to average 20,000 per home game, thus has a very small budget (as do most if not all teams in the MAC). I doubt that DB would make much more than 100k as an OC at UB.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Big Time
Rookie

Post by Big Time » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Setting aside whatever Barrett makes and his availability, why in the world would anyone even consider the Barrett/Shivers dog and pony show? This move would represent progress? Danny Barrett never managed anything more than a third place finish for his entire coaching career. The team went on to win the Grey Cup with a rookie HC immediately the year after they got rid of Shivers/Barrett. Barrett found ways to lose that were almost unimaginable. Remember the salary cap mess left for ET last year? Remember when they lost a game 28-22 to the 'Shmoes by giving up four conceded safeties? How about being the only team to lose to the Ticats the year they went 1-17? How they only had to lose by less than 24 points to secure a home playoff date, and then went on to lose by 25 points, and then got beat by a third string QB in BC in a mean nothing game in the last game of the 2004 season? Remember the 2004 Western Final? Good lord, if Winnipeg is even remotely considering Barrett as a replacement to Berry, there really is no hope in Bomberland.