Least friendly fans

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Least friendly fans

Postby Alswin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:23 am

Philadelphis is known as one of the worst cities to go watch your team play. Weather it's hockey, baseball, football or basketball, their fans are merciless on the opposing team and the out of town fans.
For those of you who have travelled to most CFL cities, I was wondering what your feed back is on this? Which CFL city has the most intimidating fans? And which city's fans do you find the friendliest?

All Star

Re: Least friendly fans

Postby White Out » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:21 am

rider fans, once they git liquored up, are the worst in the league to deal with. they power drink and by the time the games over they're either trying to pick a fight with you or they're throwing *poop* at you
Rider Pride...
not that theres anything wrong with that

2014 MVP

Postby Ab » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 am

I've been told to go f*** myself when I wore my Cat jeresy in Winnipeg (unprovoked and when the Bombers were winning). All teams have their share of bad fans.

2014 MVP

Postby Inquiring Mind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:55 am

Depends where you sit... you can find some real assclowns at every building... and sometimes they find you no matter where you are

The college section at TF used to be a zoo, but they've kind of dispersed it a bit since... generally if you're a vocal supporter of someone other than the Riders at TF, the further you sit from Section 28, the better... if you can get tickets on the double tiered side you're in good shape though.

College corner at CW was really bad too... didn't matter who you were supporting there, you were equally likely to get nailed with a coffee-mate tin.

Generally, I think dropping a few extra bucks will make you less likely to have trouble... especially if you're a respectful fan (and I don't just mean you think you are one, I mean you actually are one). If you act like an ass, you'll find trouble no matter where you are.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Postby LRCHC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:25 pm

That's easy - for all teams........ i.e. Football, Hockey, etc. ............... England (well, that's not a city obviously, but there ya go). I can't honestly think of any city in Canada that is as obnoxious to their sports teams as England fans in general can be. Every city has its share of clowns (as IM pointed out) but overall I think all Canadian cities, on average, have respectful fans. Try doing what you do here at a Chelsea/Man U match. Getting hit by a tin of coffee mate would be the least of your concerns. Now that's one scary place -makes Philly look good.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby greengirl88 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Depends where you sit... you can find some real assclowns at every building... and sometimes they find you no matter where you are

The college section at TF used to be a zoo, but they've kind of dispersed it a bit since... generally if you're a vocal supporter of someone other than the Riders at TF, the further you sit from Section 28, the better... if you can get tickets on the double tiered side you're in good shape though.

College corner at CW was really bad too... didn't matter who you were supporting there, you were equally likely to get nailed with a coffee-mate tin.

Generally, I think dropping a few extra bucks will make you less likely to have trouble... especially if you're a respectful fan (and I don't just mean you think you are one, I mean you actually are one). If you act like an ass, you'll find trouble no matter where you are.

:whs: !!

I've only been to a couple of stadiums but I would imagine that wherever you go, if you're wearing an opposing team's colours, you're likely to get some ribbing... some people will be real jerks, that's just what happens when you get a lot of people together, some of them are jerks (and then you add alcohol into the equation!)... but I think that if you can take a bit of friendly ribbing and don't look for the insult in every comment, you'll probably find that most people are actually friendly, just joking with you or whatever, and if you can banter in a friendly way back and forth you might even make yourself a new friend! :beer:
"It's time for plan B."
"We have a plan B?"
"No, but it's time for one."
-- Stargate SG-1

All Star

Postby BCRiderFan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm

There were some young Lions fans at BC Place that came over sit beside us and told us they wanted to fight. Us forty-something guys aren't into that silliness, and when my buddy stood up and they saw how big he actually was, they wisely decided it wouldn't be a good idea.

There are idiots from every CFL city.

All Star

Postby BCRiderFan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 pm

White Out wrote:rider fans, once they git liquored up, are the worst in the league to deal with. they power drink and by the time the games over they're either trying to pick a fight with you or they're throwing *poop* at you

What a lucky guy you are, getting to go to all the CFL cities to compare all the fans.

Superstar

Postby gizmo fan 2 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:09 pm

LRCHC wrote:That's easy - for all teams........ i.e. Football, Hockey, etc. ............... England (well, that's not a city obviously, but there ya go). I can't honestly think of any city in Canada that is as obnoxious to their sports teams as England fans in general can be. Every city has its share of clowns (as IM pointed out) but overall I think all Canadian cities, on average, have respectful fans. Try doing what you do here at a Chelsea/Man U match. Getting hit by a tin of coffee mate would be the least of your concerns. Now that's one scary place -makes Philly look good.

Yep.

Thus why it's pretty much mandatory to have a secured, completely separate away fans' section at most every stadium in the higher English divisions. Tix are sold and priced separately, even, at most places.
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

2014 MVP

Postby Solar Max » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:06 pm

gizmo fan 2 wrote:
LRCHC wrote:That's easy - for all teams........ i.e. Football, Hockey, etc. ............... England (well, that's not a city obviously, but there ya go). I can't honestly think of any city in Canada that is as obnoxious to their sports teams as England fans in general can be. Every city has its share of clowns (as IM pointed out) but overall I think all Canadian cities, on average, have respectful fans. Try doing what you do here at a Chelsea/Man U match. Getting hit by a tin of coffee mate would be the least of your concerns. Now that's one scary place -makes Philly look good.

Yep.

Thus why it's pretty much mandatory to have a secured, completely separate away fans' section at most every stadium in the higher English divisions. Tix are sold and priced separately, even, at most places.

And yet, last night proved exactly how well some fans can get along.

Well....maybe if there are no arrogant Lions fans around, that is. :wink:
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Superstar

Postby Rids » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Alswin wrote:Philadelphis is known as one of the worst cities to go watch your team play. Weather it's hockey, baseball, football, basketball or Santa, their fans are merciless on the opposing team and the out of town fans.
For those of you who have travelled to most CFL cities, I was wondering what your feed back is on this? Which CFL city has the most intimidating fans? And which city's fans do you find the friendliest?

fixed!
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ArgoDave » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:43 pm

I've been to Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa, so I don't know how west fans would treat Argo fans, but I've heard stories....

You'd think it would be Ticat fans I'd say were the worst, but I've talked to many of them, quite often not knowing who they were, and found them to be just ordinary CFL fans like the rest of us. Ottawa fans welcomed the FOA people at their tailgate. Als fans are OK, as long as you tell them the Als are awesome, they'll think you're great. And they often hate the Cats and Bombers too. :beauty:

I've met many from all over at the GC and found them to be friendly enough. I've talked to complete strangers at the GC, in Bars, even Bomber fans. :wink: I look forward to doing it again in Montreal this year.

if there was any single group of fans that are often the most hateful towards you simply because of where you were born I'd have to say Prairie fans take the cake on that, easily. Blue or green, doesn't matter, many of them have huge chips on their shoulders and automatically hate anyone from a 'big city' team. But I wouldn't say they were in the majority, just very loud.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

All Star

Postby David » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:48 pm

I've never had a bad experience in an opposing team's city. In fact, quite the opposite. My best experience was probably Montreal two years ago. The fans were NICE. That's probably why me and several other buddies are going back there in a couple of weeks.

DH :8)
Vancouver's like a bowl of cereal: what ain't fruits or nuts is flakes.

Superstar

Postby gizmo fan 2 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Solar Max wrote:
gizmo fan 2 wrote:

Yep.

And yet, last night proved exactly how well some fans can get along.

Well....maybe if there are no arrogant Lions fans around, that is. :wink:

:lol: True enough. :beauty:
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby argofan87 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 am

I can only speak for the three "traditional" eastern rivals of the Argos since I have seen a game at each of their stadiums. I cannot speak for the fans of the "traditional" western teams and how they treat opposing fans.

Hamilton: I sat in Box H for the game on Thursday night and the Tiger-Cat fans heckled the Argo players and not the fans themselves. I know that ArgoDave and fphnebitz were arguing with some kids behind us, but I was not necessarily involved in that exchange. I was told that Ti-Cat crowds have mellowed a little bit since the Young purchase, but still I had no real problems in Hamilton besides the expectant "Argos suck" chants being directed @ me.

Montreal: 2006 Eastern Final at the Big Owe and had no real problems besides these guys shouting at French at me when the Argos were attempting a bit of a comeback. We sorta picked out a section where there weren't as many people sitting period so the opportunity for problems was not significant.

Ottawa: Last Renegade game in 2005 before the suspension against the Argos and again had no problems whatsoever with Renegade fans. A far cry from the NHL rivalry that exists between Ottawa and Toronto.

So three trips to the three "traditional" east stadiums as an Argo fan and had no real problems @ each.
Ummagumma

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football