Gawd Help Me!

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Terencius1
All Star
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Gawd Help Me!

Post by Terencius1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:05 pm

I just defended the Argos on the Globe and Mail. Against both the the soccer nazis and the NFL wannabees.

Terry MacNaughton from Regina, Canada writes:

Hmmm, Seems to me soccer fans have thin skins, lets see, they are in year 2 or 3, forgive me, I don't live there (thank God)

Instead, Torontonians will turn their backs on the glorious history of the Argonauts, who have merely played in the city for over 100 years.

To bring in of all things the , NFL, while different is no more exciting than a 1-0 soccer game. OOOH, cue the replay. Boring beyond belief. It's time for the good burghers of Toronto to stand up for their country and support the things that are ours. IT ain't the Toronto FC, nor the leafs, nor the Blue Jays, It's the Argos, and the CFL.

As for the Argos to move to BMO field, I could care less. My Riders have won 2 grey cups at the Dome.

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Re: Gawd Help Me!

Post by Spellchecker » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:30 pm

Well done.
My message has been posted successfully.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Wow, the Argos and the CFL sure are taking a beating in the comments section of that article.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:25 am

So to counteract idiots and morons insulting the CFL ... you? :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:36 am

Ron wrote:So to counteract idiots and morons insulting the CFL ... you? :wink:
I just live here. Go bug an Argo fan. :devil:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Do or Die
Rookie

Post by Do or Die » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 am

Does Naylor get his cell phones for free?

If not, he should....
Don't hesitate to give advice; it passes the time and nobody will follow it anyway.....

brettinhalifax
Rookie

Post by brettinhalifax » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

I'm a lifelong CFL fan but have recently warmed up to soccer, its a neat game. I enjoyed watching the Premiership and Euro 08, can't wait for the World Cup and I wish there was a local pro side I could watch with a few thousand other people. I am one of the 80,000-ish viewers of TFC matches. TFC is the only Hogtown team I even remotely cheer for, its usually more fun to cheer against TO, but I have been hoping to see a game in person at BMO. I think soccer's time may have finally come in North America.

But TFC "fans" are some of the most irritating "fans" I have ever encountered. Maybe its just the internet "fans" because I haven't actually met anyone who cares about TFC in Halifax, but there are plenty of CFL, NFL and NHL fans here. The TFC "fans" think that a year and a half of success means something more than what it is... a very good start. But given the history of pro soccer in North America, it seems a little early to break out the champagne and declare this the Soccer century.

Some of those TFC "fans" on the globe website talk about how CFL owners are cheap, but I think its more fair to call the current crop of owners fans first, who chose to put their money where their mouths were. The TFC "fans" cheer for a team owned by MLSE, which is a faceless corporation with one purpose... to make money (not that there's anything wrong with that). TFC isn't a team, it isn't a club... TFC is, at its most basic form, a division of a ruthless corporation. CFL franchises are either community owned, millionaire's hobbies or (arguably) charities where the owners have tolerated losses to give back to the community (thank-you for your donation Bob Young).

MLSE (and TFC) were essentially given a stadium to play in. But it was better than free, because if the land was given to them and the stadium was built for them, then they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. But MLSE just manages it while the city still owns it, so they don't have to pay taxes on it either. A tax-free free stadium, but that isn't enough... TFC "fans" whine the they might have to share it. My god... how much more do they think they are entitled to anyway? Every team in the CFL shares the stadium they play with the community and Universities for soccer, football and field hockey.

CFL teams play in small, ancient dumps that are way past their "best before" date or oversized, sterile, white elephants built for something else. CFL fans don't care (although we seem to have drawn the line at the Big-O) we still buy our tickets and go to games. And every fan thinks their stadium is the best place in the league to watch a game (or at least one of the best) That's what adults do, make the best with what they have and share with others.

Regarding TFC's "success", how about looking at it like this? As near as I can figure, close to 100,000 more people have attended Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse games than TFC matches. Sure the Roughnecks have been around a few years longer, but Calgary is a long way from the centre of the universe, the NLL is way down the food chain of professional sports, the Roughnecks have to share the Saddledome with the Flames and the Saddledome isn't a LSA (lacrosse-specific-arena :lol: ). Admittedly, by the end of the season TFC will probably surpass the Roughnecks in total attendance, but I think the fact that they still haven't puts their "success" in perspective.

TFC "fans" come across as really defensive of their less than 24 months of corporate sponsored "history" and I think I know why. From my perspective, there is a big TFC bandwagon that thousands of Torontonians have jumped on. I don't deny that there are thousands who are genuine fans, but there thousands of "fans" like some of those that are writing in to the Globe and Mail that will be gone as soon as TFC loses its new car smell. I think TFC is around for the long run, but lots of people who were willing to give TFC a try are being turned off by the TFC "fans". Once the "fans" jump off the bandwagon, there might not be anyone waiting to buy tickets and if TFC starts to lose money, MLSE will drop TFC like a hot potato.

Sorry for the long post

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 am

brettinhalifax wrote:I'm a lifelong CFL fan but have recently warmed up to soccer, its a neat game. I enjoyed watching the Premiership and Euro 08, can't wait for the World Cup and I wish there was a local pro side I could watch with a few thousand other people. I am one of the 80,000-ish viewers of TFC matches. TFC is the only Hogtown team I even remotely cheer for, its usually more fun to cheer against TO, but I have been hoping to see a game in person at BMO. I think soccer's time may have finally come in North America.

But TFC "fans" are some of the most irritating "fans" I have ever encountered. Maybe its just the internet "fans" because I haven't actually met anyone who cares about TFC in Halifax, but there are plenty of CFL, NFL and NHL fans here. The TFC "fans" think that a year and a half of success means something more than what it is... a very good start. But given the history of pro soccer in North America, it seems a little early to break out the champagne and declare this the Soccer century.

Some of those TFC "fans" on the globe website talk about how CFL owners are cheap, but I think its more fair to call the current crop of owners fans first, who chose to put their money where their mouths were. The TFC "fans" cheer for a team owned by MLSE, which is a faceless corporation with one purpose... to make money (not that there's anything wrong with that). TFC isn't a team, it isn't a club... TFC is, at its most basic form, a division of a ruthless corporation. CFL franchises are either community owned, millionaire's hobbies or (arguably) charities where the owners have tolerated losses to give back to the community (thank-you for your donation Bob Young).

MLSE (and TFC) were essentially given a stadium to play in. But it was better than free, because if the land was given to them and the stadium was built for them, then they'd still have to pay property taxes on it. But MLSE just manages it while the city still owns it, so they don't have to pay taxes on it either. A tax-free free stadium, but that isn't enough... TFC "fans" whine the they might have to share it. My god... how much more do they think they are entitled to anyway? Every team in the CFL shares the stadium they play with the community and Universities for soccer, football and field hockey.

CFL teams play in small, ancient dumps that are way past their "best before" date or oversized, sterile, white elephants built for something else. CFL fans don't care (although we seem to have drawn the line at the Big-O) we still buy our tickets and go to games. And every fan thinks their stadium is the best place in the league to watch a game (or at least one of the best) That's what adults do, make the best with what they have and share with others.

Regarding TFC's "success", how about looking at it like this? As near as I can figure, close to 100,000 more people have attended Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse games than TFC matches. Sure the Roughnecks have been around a few years longer, but Calgary is a long way from the centre of the universe, the NLL is way down the food chain of professional sports, the Roughnecks have to share the Saddledome with the Flames and the Saddledome isn't a LSA (lacrosse-specific-arena :lol: ). Admittedly, by the end of the season TFC will probably surpass the Roughnecks in total attendance, but I think the fact that they still haven't puts their "success" in perspective.

TFC "fans" come across as really defensive of their less than 24 months of corporate sponsored "history" and I think I know why. From my perspective, there is a big TFC bandwagon that thousands of Torontonians have jumped on. I don't deny that there are thousands who are genuine fans, but there thousands of "fans" like some of those that are writing in to the Globe and Mail that will be gone as soon as TFC loses its new car smell. I think TFC is around for the long run, but lots of people who were willing to give TFC a try are being turned off by the TFC "fans". Once the "fans" jump off the bandwagon, there might not be anyone waiting to buy tickets and if TFC starts to lose money, MLSE will drop TFC like a hot potato.

Sorry for the long post
:clap:

David
All Star

Post by David » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Great post.

Is there a link to the article in question?

DH :8)
Vancouver's like a bowl of cereal: what ain't fruits or nuts is flakes.

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:10 pm

If they were such a great draw they should be in the skydome.... See what the atmosphere is like with 20 000 in there and watch the attendance fall. It does well there cause of the size of the stadium. Its like going to a bar one thats big could have 1000 people in it but look half full and another one that is small and has 250 but is packed, guess where everyone wants to be? It would be great if the Argos could somehow get a 35 000 seater with a university somehow. I really like their owners and I feel for them cause their hands are basically tied.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”