Bishop to the Rider?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Bishop to the Rider?

Post by Ron » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 pm

Argo fans will drink bitter waters ... and Rider fans will learn that it was the Argos offense and not the QB that was the problem.

Bish is gonna have an O-line now. And a running back ... and (when back from injury) a superior receiver corps ... and an OC that will throw deep.

Riders just repeated.

Note: Will take him a bit of time to learn the offense. Like any new QB
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:22 am

Rammer wrote:
This is a long Q and A with ET on the Bishop trade, but it gives some perspective from the Riders side of the deal.

Interesting comments... I especially liked, " Hey, the Chinese ain't the only ones that can "make it rain! I'm The Weatherman babay!" ;)

-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:16 am

My question is with all the injuries how can the Riders afford Michael Bishop?? Isn't it ironic that the qb deemed not good enough for the Riders by their GM Sonic The Hedgehog is the starting qb for the Argos. And the qb deemed not good enough to be the starter in Toronto by their head coach Boris "Chuckles" Kulagin is good enough to be the starting qb in Regina? Only in the CFL...
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 am

To Ron and Iso,
Will Bishop even get much of a chance to play in Saskatchewan? Even if the Riders do as expected and release Crandell, it still appears as though Durant will be the starter and Jyles is still in the mix too.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:To Ron and Iso,
Will Bishop even get much of a chance to play in Saskatchewan? Even if the Riders do as expected and release Crandell, it still appears as though Durant will be the starter and Jyles is still in the mix too.

I'm not a Rider fan so I could care less what happens to Bishop in Regina. Personally, I hope he is an abysmal failure for the Riders as a qb. My issue is the SMS & I question how the Riders can stay within the cap with this trade. If one team is continually abusing the SMS or ignoring it in order to win a championship then the system doesn't work. That's my bone of contention here.
With Sonic making noises that he may be over the SMS cap again this year before this trade happened, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he'll be over the cap with the trade. Especially with no players going the other way to Toronto to alleviate the numbers.
If one team fails to live by the SMS then the system doesn't work & should be abolished.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 am

Well Ravi, I'm not a Rider fan so I could care less what happens to Bishop in Regina. Personally, I hope he is an abysmal failure for the Riders as a qb. My issue is the SMS & I question how the Riders can stay within the cap with this trade. If one team is continually abusing the SMS or ignoring it in order to win a championship then the system doesn't work. That's my bone of contention here.
With Sonic making noises that he may be over the SMS cap again this year before this trade happened, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he'll be over the cap with the trade. Especially with no Saskatchewan players going the other way to Toronto to alleviate Bishop's contact on the Riders salary situation.
If one team fails to live by the SMS then the system doesn't work & should be abolished.

White Out
All Star

Post by White Out » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:36 am

iso_55 wrote:

Well Ravi, I'm not a Rider fan so I could care less what happens to Bishop in Regina. Personally, I hope he is an abysmal failure for the Riders as a qb. My issue is the SMS & I question how the Riders can stay within the cap with this trade. If one team is continually abusing the SMS or ignoring it in order to win a championship then the system doesn't work. That's my bone of contention here.
With Sonic making noises that he may be over the SMS cap again this year before this trade happened, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he'll be over the cap with the trade. Especially with no Saskatchewan players going the other way to Toronto to alleviate Bishop's contact on the Riders salary situation.

the best part of the whole thing is rider fans pre SMS were the whiniest bunch in the country saying teams were spending them into their mediocrity
Rider Pride...
not that theres anything wrong with that

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 am

iso_55 wrote:My question is with all the injuries how can the Riders afford Michael Bishop?? Isn't it ironic that the qb deemed not good enough for the Riders by their GM Sonic The Hedgehog is the starting qb for the Argos. And the qb deemed not good enough to be the starter in Toronto by their head coach Boris "Chuckles" Kulagin is good enough to be the starting qb in Regina? Only in the CFL...
listen to the Tillman interview on the Riderville home page and he states Bishops contract although large, he like most vets got a good chunk of that up front, so that is the Argos costs not sask.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:27 am

wildthing1971 wrote:
iso_55 wrote:My question is with all the injuries how can the Riders afford Michael Bishop?? Isn't it ironic that the qb deemed not good enough for the Riders by their GM Sonic The Hedgehog is the starting qb for the Argos. And the qb deemed not good enough to be the starter in Toronto by their head coach Boris "Chuckles" Kulagin is good enough to be the starting qb in Regina? Only in the CFL...
listen to the Tillman interview on the Riderville home page and he states Bishops contract although large, he like most vets got a good chunk of that up front, so that is the Argos costs not sask.

You believe that? We all know that in the CFL, quarterbacks are paid chump change for their services. :roll: Even if true, the Riders still have to pay the guy. He's not playing for free. I see one more salary added on to the Riders payroll but I don't see any salaries coming off. So, the question is then how is this not costing the Riders? The other question is just how the Riders are under the cap.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 pm

iso_55 wrote:
wildthing1971 wrote:

You believe that? We all know that in the CFL, quarterbacks are paid chump change for their services. :roll: Even if true, the Riders still have to pay the guy. He's not playing for free. I see one more salary added on to the Riders payroll but I don't see any salaries coming off. So, the question is then how is this not costing the Riders? The other question is just how the Riders are under the cap.

I wonder why they keep Steve Morley and his hefty salary around.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:26 pm

iso_55 wrote:

I'm not a Rider fan so I could care less what happens to Bishop in Regina. Personally, I hope he is an abysmal failure for the Riders as a qb. My issue is the SMS & I question how the Riders can stay within the cap with this trade. If one team is continually abusing the SMS or ignoring it in order to win a championship then the system doesn't work. That's my bone of contention here.
With Sonic making noises that he may be over the SMS cap again this year before this trade happened, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he'll be over the cap with the trade. Especially with no players going the other way to Toronto to alleviate the numbers.

If you understood the system ... you'd know it's a luxury tax system. So the Riders are doing nothing illegal. Nothing wrong.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:52 pm

I think its hillarious that the Riddlers fans think Durant is the answer, the guy played okay in a couple of games and hes the second coming of Christ. How many times do you see a new comer come in and play well for a week or two only to suck after that. Anyone from Winnipeg want to add a comment to that?
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Gill The Thrill wrote:It's about time the Argos have concluded that this tease (Bishop) with the trigger arm was not going to fully grow into an effective starter. This next comment may sound very cruel, but I think it is more than accurate based on how many years the Argos have been patient for him to learn how to read CFL defenses. Bishop was always intellectually challenged as a Quarterback, always was and always will be. I can't believe that there were still boatloads of Argofans this season, who claimed that Bishop would be the panacea of the struggling offence. They were actually parading his numbers as something positive.

Boy, when I said something like that I was jumped on and vilified immediately!

<<< Never been a "Bishop Believer".

IMHO the Riders paid exactly what "The Second Coming" Bishop is worth, next to nothing.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Ron wrote:
iso_55 wrote:

If you understood the system ... you'd know it's a luxury tax system. So the Riders are doing nothing illegal. Nothing wrong.

Well...that and the fact that a lot of their higher priced players are on the 9 game list and won't be coming off early. The replacements are cheaper thus opening up cap room for a bigger salary - there's also been comments as noted here I believe that Bishop has a low base salary so he wouldn't be a really big hit anyways.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Wow...In watching Sportsnet interview Durant at practice, he doesn't sound too thrilled about the trade. He was saying how KJ and Crandell treated him so well..and he basically has no comment. When later pressed about how this will affect the depth chart, Durant said, "I was told he's the guy".

It's sad that it's going to have to happen in Regina, but I think Bishop will once and for all shut up all the idiots who claimn he to dumb to be a good QB. Dumb QB's don't have the TD to I/C ratio he had last year with a sub par supporting cast around him. To paraphrase Ron, it was the offence that sucked, not Bishop. I believe this, because I don't believe KJ forgot how to play overnight.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!