Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Brian Shepherd
Superstar

Bishop to the Rider?

Post by Brian Shepherd » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Here is the TSN Link

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=247398& ... Story_main

I don't understand why unless DD is out for quite a while.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Re: Bishop to the Rider?

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 pm

We better get something real damn good in exchange, like a good OT or Oline guy.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:54 pm

I thought tillman was smarter than that.

Bishop is like a really good chain with one really bad link right in the middle. For yrs I hoped and cheered to bishop to step up and be a star in this league. Not gonna happen. Argos defense got him most of those wins last yr. His stats suck. He is a cronic underacheiver.

Only way this makes sense is if at least two of riders QBs are seriously or long term injured.
Don't confuse me with facts

Brian Shepherd
Superstar

Post by Brian Shepherd » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Reporting a conditional draft pick.....that is all

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Looks like the QB controversy in Saskatchewan is getting worse. These guys will be way over the cap wont they.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:14 pm

ArgoDave wrote:We better get something real damn good in exchange, like a good OT or Oline guy.
We are getting a conditional draft pick for Bishop, AD. Well, it has been a fun seven years with the guy. He will be missed. :(
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Bobbyp wrote:Looks like the QB controversy in Saskatchewan is getting worse. These guys will be way over the cap wont they.
Hard to say... they've been unfortunately fortunate cap wise insofar as a lot of their injuries have been of the 9-game variety... which don't count against the cap.

Tillman has already been laying the seeds publicly that they may go over though, so, take that for what it's worth
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Bobbyp wrote:Looks like the QB controversy in Saskatchewan is getting worse. These guys will be way over the cap wont they.
Hard to say... they've been unfortunately fortunate cap wise insofar as a lot of their injuries have been of the 9-game variety... which don't count against the cap.

Tillman has already been laying the seeds publicly that they may go over though, so, take that for what it's worth
Either the Riders have given up on abiding by the SMS or some big cuts are coming because Bishop carries a significant enough salary.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:

Either the Riders have given up on abiding by the SMS or some big cuts are coming because Bishop carries a significant enough salary.
Yeah... I doubt they'll be cutting any salary... they're floating in cash.

Tillman just needs a reason to try to publicly mitigate going over... and I don't blame him, one home playoff game would more than cover any fines they run up.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

wfm
Superstar

Post by wfm » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:53 pm

FootbalYouBet wrote:I thought tillman was smarter than that.

Bishop is like a really good chain with one really bad link right in the middle. For yrs I hoped and cheered to bishop to step up and be a star in this league. Not gonna happen. Argos defense got him most of those wins last yr. His stats suck. He is a cronic underacheiver.

Only way this makes sense is if at least two of riders QBs are seriously or long term injured.
Yes. So often he looks really good........ right up to where he looks really bad. Somehow Bishop always seems to find a way to break out of a good streak and just stink the place out. I'm trying to imagine that not happening with his new team and just can't. He always finds a way to go from starter to third string.

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:

Sounds like most of this year was an upfront bonus and very minor salary. So if anything TO has to worry as they still take a hit on anything they paid him to date
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Gill The Thrill
Superstar

Post by Gill The Thrill » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:09 pm

ArgoDave wrote:We better get something real damn good in exchange, like a good OT or Oline guy.
We are getting a conditional draft pick for Bishop, AD. Well, it has been a fun seven years with the guy. He will be missed. :(
It's about time the Argos have concluded that this tease (Bishop) with the trigger arm was not going to fully grow into an effective starter. This next comment may sound very cruel, but I think it is more than accurate based on how many years the Argos have been patient for him to learn how to read CFL defenses. Bishop was always intellectually challenged as a Quarterback, always was and always will be. I can't believe that there were still boatloads of Argofans this season, who claimed that Bishop would be the panacea of the struggling offence. They were actually parading his numbers as something positive.

I agree that Joseph has had his inconsistencies, but Bishop has never really settled down the offence even when he came off the bench, which is something that his supporters have always used as a reason to keep him around. His stats against an average at best, Montreal Alouettes defence were hideous and still people were clamouring for him to be the starter. A guy with a great arm, but still can't complete 50% of his passes without throwing less interceptions than TD's is not going to be the starter anywhere. That's was my opinion 3 years ago, and is still my opinion this year.

Finally, Kerry Joseph can now function without having to look over his shoulder and subconciously feel that someone standing on his sideline and wearing the same uniform is hoping that he continues to struggle as much as the guys wearing the opponents colours. :bad:
I'm predicting a few additions to bolster the O-line will help KJ's total control of the offense, by improving his passing stats and improving the running game.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Michael Bishop, the 32 year old rookie, in his seventh season.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:49 pm

Good move for the Argos to send him long, lousy return though.

I imagine injury forced this move on the Riders and Bishop was the best/only QB available.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:59 pm

TO made out like bandittos...
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”