Are the Bombers Peaking at the Right Time?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

BB_Blitz
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Are the Bombers Peaking at the Right Time?

Post by BB_Blitz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:29 am

Hey boys and girls....how y'all been. :beer: Just like The Don I have come out of retirement... :cowboy:

Looks like the Bombers are putting it together at the time of the year when it really counts. :cross: After totally collapsing in the Banjo Bowl game they could have easily folded like a broken lawn chair but instead they come back and beat the living snot out of the woeful Argos :clap: when their season was on the line. Absolute domination. :clap: Minus the 4th quarter of the Banjo Bowl game, that's 7 great quarters of football they have put together. I can definitely see their confidence and swagger coming back and momentum swinging their way. Kevin Glenn looks like he's finally getting his groove back. Forget all those INTs because they mean nothing now. The only sorry spot is still their special teams that must get better.

Were the Bombers that good or were the Argos that bad? I would like to think the Bombers are that good :thup: but when the Argo secondary can't catch a 38 year old running on a bum leg :lol: I would have to think a bit of both. Bombers aren't there yet but at least they are headed in the right direction. Didn't the Argos turn it around last year about this time? Our turn now. The only peaking... or should I say peeking the Argos will be doing is at the standings to see the Bombers blow by them. :D

How about this trade ... Joseph for Printers straight up. You heard it here first... :smokin:
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Are the Bombers Peaking at the Right Time?

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:33 am

It is far too early to talk about the Bombers turning anything around. They aren't 3-8 by accident. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Hamilton beat them next week. However, I will give Winnipeg credit for kicking the Argos' butts as the Argos haven't been able to do that to anyone all season and for winning an absolute "must" game.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:It is far too early to talk about the Bombers turning anything around. They aren't 3-8 by accident. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Hamilton beat them next week. However, I will give Winnipeg credit for kicking the Argos' butts as the Argos haven't been able to do that to anyone all season and for winning an absolute "must" game.

Just saying that they are gaining confidence and momemtum. Many teams have had terrible starts but strong finishes. Isn't this the time of the year when the Als usually start to fall apart too. A couple more wins by the Bombers and a couple more losses by the Als and it could get interesting... :cowboy:

Oiler
Superstar

Post by Oiler » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:56 pm

I hughly doubt WInnipeg will do anything significant this year but in a small league you just have to get into the playoffs and win 3 straight so anythings possible.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:07 pm

BB_Blitz wrote:
Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:It is far too early to talk about the Bombers turning anything around. They aren't 3-8 by accident. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Hamilton beat them next week. However, I will give Winnipeg credit for kicking the Argos' butts as the Argos haven't been able to do that to anyone all season and for winning an absolute "must" game.

Just saying that they are gaining confidence and momemtum. Many teams have had terrible starts but strong finishes. Isn't this the time of the year when the Als usually start to fall apart too. A couple more wins by the Bombers and a couple more losses by the Als and it could get interesting... :cowboy:

Blitz comes out of his hole and we get 6 more weeks of Bomber bravado before the playoffs start without them. :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Oiler
Superstar

Post by Oiler » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Ron wrote:
BB_Blitz wrote:

Blitz comes out of his hole and we get 6 more weeks of Bomber bravado before the playoffs start without them. :wink:

Yes, he's as homer a fan as anybody.

ArgoDave
Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Ron wrote:
BB_Blitz wrote:

Yeah, amazing how he hides when the Bombers are getting beat by just about everyone. :wink:

Let's hope his well known "Kiss-OF-Death" predictions works as well as it usually does. :devil:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Ron wrote:
BB_Blitz wrote:

:rotf:
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:14 am

ArgoDave wrote:
Ron wrote:
BB_Blitz wrote:

Yeah, amazing how he hides when the Bombers are getting beat by just about everyone. :wink:

Let's hope his well known "Kiss-OF-Death" predictions works as well as it usually does. :devil:

Yes I've been hiding under my bed for 2 1/2 months.. :lol:

I've been busy but even if I was posting there was now way to sugarcoat their poor play for the first half of the season. Unreal how 3 teams in the East can have such poor records for the first half of the season. All it takes is for somebody to get hot down the stretch and all will be forgotten. If the Bombers fall to the TiCats next week then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

:cowboy:

ArgoDave
Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 am

BB_Blitz wrote:

I've been busy but even if I was posting there was now way to sugarcoat their poor play for the first half of the season. Unreal how 3 teams in the East can have such poor records for the first half of the season. All it takes is for somebody to get hot down the stretch and all will be forgotten. If the Bombers fall to the TiCats next week then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Yeah, it's been a poor season for the east, no argument there.

Sad thing is, this year the crossover team might actually make it to the Final, something they've never done before as any team hosting the Semi will probably fall based on the play of the Argos, Cats and Bombers so far.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by LRCHC » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 am

Well BB, two problems.

Problem number one is we all know how the Argo's season ended last season despite their unlikely run in the second half.

Problem number two is the bombers still have Doug Berry as their head coach and Kevin Glenn as their QB. I don't think Kevin is as terrible as he was the second half last year and the first half of this year (when he lost his job), but I don't think he's nearly as good as his first half last year (wow, follow all that). I think he's playing to his ability that we've seen the last few weeks. And what are the bombers these last few weeks, 2-3, 2-2?

But, if they (and that's a BIG IF) keep playing at this level, there's a good chance they can catch the Argo's and take second place, because of Kerry Joseph, whom I dislike even more than Glenn as a QB. Why? Because Joseph has even more tools than Glenn does, but for some reason just can't play consistent. Given his age, he should be better (experience and all) but for some reason he isn't. The "Don" though is a dinosaur. The bombers badly exploited his defense, and if "the Don" continues to employ it with the personal he has, well, if Kevin Glenn and the Bombers can do that too him, just think what a real team with a real QB and a real offensive game plan can do to that defense. Don is too 'set in his ways' though, he won't change.

I have a feeling the Buffornto Bills will be getting more and more attention in T.O. as the weeks go by and the Argo's are blown out game after game after game.

Back to Wpg - or Hamilton, or Toronto even, does it really matter who finishes second? Does anyone here really think the second place team in the east can even compete with the fourth best team in the west? I know I know, anything can happen, and in sports especially it sure can. But the way the Western teams are playing, heck, look how easily Calgary handled the 'beast of the east' on Saturday (never mind the score, game wasn't that close), the 4th place western team will easily win the Eastern Semi and IMO be odds on favorite to beat Montreal in the final (just based on the Grey Cup curse).

Oh, if this is peaking, I woudln't get too excited, not much of a peak (losing to a QB with no receivers and an IQ of a hamster is pretty sad IMO, pretty sad indeed).

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:25 am

LRCHC wrote:Well BB, two problems.

Problem number one is we all know how the Argo's season ended last season despite their unlikely run in the second half.

What's that got to do with anything ??

Back to Wpg - or Hamilton, or Toronto even, does it really matter who finishes second? Does anyone here really think the second place team in the east can even compete with the fourth best team in the west?

Sure..why not. It all comes down to how a team is playing down the stretch. Do you forget 2001? Stamps were no threat during the regular season.).[/quote]

Oh, if this is peaking, I woudln't get too excited, not much of a peak (losing to a QB with no receivers and an IQ of a hamster is pretty sad IMO, pretty sad indeed).

I agree the Bombers played an Argo team that looks totally lost but they played real well in the Banjo Bowl for 3 quarters against the #1 team and carried it into this game and turned it into blowout.This week vs TiCats is either going to be another momentum builder or it's going to be a deflater. Bombers have to pick up where they left off. I think they still have the team to do some damage. Confidence and momentum is all they need to put the pieces back together and make a run down the stretch drive.

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:32 am

ArgoDave wrote:
BB_Blitz wrote:

Yeah, it's been a poor season for the east, no argument there.

Sad thing is, this year the crossover team might actually make it to the Final, something they've never done before as any team hosting the Semi will probably fall based on the play of the Argos, Cats and Bombers so far.

Could very well be 2 West teams in the GC. Als have been getting all their wins vs the weak East and only 1 win vs the West. First place for them this year has been almost by default thanks to the bumbling East conference.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 am

LRCHC wrote:The "Don" though is a dinosaur. The bombers badly exploited his defense, and if "the Don" continues to employ it with the personal he has, well, if Kevin Glenn and the Bombers can do that too him, just think what a real team with a real QB and a real offensive game plan can do to that defense. Don is too 'set in his ways' though, he won't change.

I can't let this Don-bashing go unchallenged. Matthews hasn't been a successful head coach for 25 years without an ability to adapt. Do you remember the 2005 season, LRCHC? After seeing his defence wasn't working after the first third of that season, Matthews revamped the defence including changing his schemes completely and tweaked it some more after a blowout loss to Toronto late in the season and got that Als team to within a whisker of winning the Grey Cup. Is that being "set in his ways"?

Furthermore, Matthews had little chance in only three days to effect much change last week. What you saw in the Winnipeg game was simply a continuation of what you saw in the Montreal game five days earlier. It is only in the next week that Matthews finally has a chance to implement any of the changes that he may want to.

BB_Blitz
Legend

Post by BB_Blitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:
LRCHC wrote:The "Don" though is a dinosaur. The bombers badly exploited his defense, and if "the Don" continues to employ it with the personal he has, well, if Kevin Glenn and the Bombers can do that too him, just think what a real team with a real QB and a real offensive game plan can do to that defense. Don is too 'set in his ways' though, he won't change.

I can't let this Don-bashing go unchallenged. Matthews hasn't been a successful head coach for 25 years without an ability to adapt. Do you remember the 2005 season, LRCHC? After seeing his defence wasn't working after the first third of that season, Matthews revamped the defence including changing his schemes completely and tweaked it some more after a blowout loss to Toronto late in the season and got that Als team to within a whisker of winning the Grey Cup. Is that being "set in his ways"?

Furthermore, Matthews had little chance in only three days to effect much change last week. What you saw in the Winnipeg game was simply a continuation of what you saw in the Montreal game five days earlier. It is only in the next week that Matthews finally has a chance to implement any of the changes that he may want to.

I agree Ravi. Can't judge the winningest coach after 3 days. Looks like he has his work cut out for him though. Coaches and players all looked very disorganized.

I haven't followed it closely but why did they let Stubler go outright? Did they offer him the Defence coaching job? What's the story?