How Many Games Should Barranechea Get ??

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

How Many Games Should Barranechea Get ??

Postby BB_Blitz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:01 am

Surely the league has to come down on this moron's blatant attempt to injure Kevin Glenn. That hit was cheap and vicious and has no place in sports. That could have easily ended Glenn's career. I would expect the league to fine and suspend him to send a message to other players they won't put up with this garbage. I say he should be fined by the league and suspended a minimum of 2 games without pay. Your thoughts....
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

Champion
Favourite Team: Calgary Stampeders

Re: How Many Games Should Barranechea Get ??

Postby Chyep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:13 am

He'll get nothing.
He knew exactly what he was doing and he knew Glen would be exposed. He did however look down to make sure that he couldn't see Glen release the ball before taking 1 more step and viciously pasting him. That said, the league will give him the benefit of the doubt, and say it was regrettable but not blatantly an attempt to injure.

Hopefuly Glen is not concussed.
Official souce of the York Report.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Postby gizmo fan 2 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:40 am

I agree that he should be suspended......isn't it in the CBA anyways that the max suspension is 1 game, though? :huh:
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

Legend

Postby BB_Blitz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:45 am

gizmo fan 2 wrote:I agree that he should be suspended......isn't it in the CBA anyways that the max suspension is 1 game, though? :huh:

Not sure but I think it depends what it's for. How many did Hervey get for cranking the ref with his helmet a few years back?

Champion

Postby Bushido » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:48 am

Should be one game.

However, this is the CFL we're talking about here. Protecting players is good lip service but not in practice.

Champion

Postby Chyep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:50 am

Not sure it was Hervey, but the incident was worth one game after apeal I believe.

2014 MVP

Postby Inquiring Mind » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:27 am

I think all a player can get is one game... which is unfortunate, cause that shot he took deserves at least 2 or 3
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:08 am

According to Canadian Press, the league is investigating this incident but, under the current CBA, all that Barrenechea can get is one game at the most. Cohon has gone on record as saying that the entire disciplinary procedure will be changed during negotiations of the next CBA in another year or so.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Hall of Famer

Postby BBBob » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:44 am

Chyep wrote:He'll get nothing.
He knew exactly what he was doing and he knew Glen would be exposed. He did however look down to make sure that he couldn't see Glen release the ball before taking 1 more step and viciously pasting him. That said, the league will give him the benefit of the doubt, and say it was regrettable but not blatantly an attempt to injure.

Hopefuly Glen is not concussed.

Oh he knew exactly what he was doing, and he put his arms down and then his head down prior to contact.
video clip

Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Postby LRCHC » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:53 am

Well, as a former bomber fan and now an Eskimo fan, I can gleefully hope that no suspension is forthcoming, and that Glenn is concussed and doesn't play another game this year, and ........

C'mon, you guys know me a lot better than that. I hate cheap shots, period. I don't care who does it. This ain't the first time either. I remember one ex bomber and then esk Elfrid Payton spearing a prone Milt Stegall right in the ribs, breaking them, after the game was out of reach for the eskies.

I also remember Davis "Dirty" Sanchez going helmut to helmut with Stegall (or was it helmut to ribs then as well) after Stegall made a catch but was laying prone on the ground.

Neither time was either player suspended (in fact, I don't even think penalties were called).

This latest one, now that I'm on the 'other' side, still left a real bad taste in my mouth. Am I turning back, away from the evil empire? I will gladly if this team keeps playing like this. I don't mind the agressiveness, I don't mind the playing to the end of the whistle, but that was a purposeful hit, and the intent was to injure, no doubt about it. If Auggie had broken his neck on the play (not Glenns, his, as sometimes the giver gets it worse than the receiver) I would have laughed at him. Would have served him right for being such an a-hole.

Wow, glad I got that off my chest. I was cheering for the eskies right up to that play believe it or not, and I still will be, but i'm glad they ended up losing as after that play I could not cheer for them after that hit.

As for Auggie being suspended, he better be, for his sake. As I really believe the Esks will pound the bombers in the next game here at Commonwealth, and I'm not looking forward to writing this post again but this time chastising a "Zeke Moreno" or a "Kai Ellis" for doing the same thing to Ricky Ray, as if AB is not suspended, and that game is decided before the final whistle blows, I can see someone on Wpg deciding to take his own justice, and AB is not a good enough player IMO to go after, but Ricky Ray would be the prime target. After all, worst they could get is one game.

So Cohon and Higgins better do the right thing and suspend AB, and do it now (so the esks can prepare properly, no do what they did to AJ Gass when they took 4 days to suspend him) to be fair to both side. Lets hope next week is a good clean game and the best (esks) team wins, and no injuries.. we've already had too many this year.

Legend

Postby BB_Blitz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:33 pm

LRCHC wrote:Well, as a former bomber fan and now an Eskimo fan.

You're an Esk fan now... :puke:

Who got to you...fishman ? IM ? I should never have left 13thman as I knew they would pounce on the weak. :x

...or maybe you just fell in luv with Moochacha.... :lol:

2014 MVP

Postby Ron » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:48 pm

BB_Blitz wrote:
LRCHC wrote:Well, as a former bomber fan and now an Eskimo fan.

You're an Esk fan now... :puke:

Who got to you...fishman ? IM ? I should never have left 13thman as I knew they would pounce on the weak. :x

...or maybe you just fell in luv with Moochacha.... :lol:

Leaving was fine. Coming back has thwarted our plans to enlighten the rest of you. :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Champion

Postby Chyep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:11 pm

LRCHC wrote:Well, as a former bomber fan and now an Eskimo fan, I can gleefully hope that no suspension is forthcoming, and that Glenn is concussed and doesn't play another game this year, and ........

C'mon, you guys know me a lot better than that. I hate cheap shots, period. I don't care who does it. This ain't the first time either. I remember one ex bomber and then esk Elfrid Payton spearing a prone Milt Stegall right in the ribs, breaking them, after the game was out of reach for the eskies.

I also remember Davis "Dirty" Sanchez going helmut to helmut with Stegall (or was it helmut to ribs then as well) after Stegall made a catch but was laying prone on the ground.

Neither time was either player suspended (in fact, I don't even think penalties were called).

This latest one, now that I'm on the 'other' side, still left a real bad taste in my mouth. Am I turning back, away from the evil empire? I will gladly if this team keeps playing like this. I don't mind the agressiveness, I don't mind the playing to the end of the whistle, but that was a purposeful hit, and the intent was to injure, no doubt about it. If Auggie had broken his neck on the play (not Glenns, his, as sometimes the giver gets it worse than the receiver) I would have laughed at him. Would have served him right for being such an a-hole.

Wow, glad I got that off my chest. I was cheering for the eskies right up to that play believe it or not, and I still will be, but i'm glad they ended up losing as after that play I could not cheer for them after that hit.

As for Auggie being suspended, he better be, for his sake. As I really believe the Esks will pound the bombers in the next game here at Commonwealth, and I'm not looking forward to writing this post again but this time chastising a "Zeke Moreno" or a "Kai Ellis" for doing the same thing to Ricky Ray, as if AB is not suspended, and that game is decided before the final whistle blows, I can see someone on Wpg deciding to take his own justice, and AB is not a good enough player IMO to go after, but Ricky Ray would be the prime target. After all, worst they could get is one game.

So Cohon and Higgins better do the right thing and suspend AB, and do it now (so the esks can prepare properly, no do what they did to AJ Gass when they took 4 days to suspend him) to be fair to both side. Lets hope next week is a good clean game and the best (esks) team wins, and no injuries.. we've already had too many this year.

Didn't Gass apeal his suspension and get nothing?

Unfortunately the CFL has a poor record in this department. Edmonton will apeal the suspension, because they always do, and it will be overturned, because the while the CFLPA doesn't have much clout financialy, they seem to win these for the players being penalized. Wittness AJ Gass's successful appeal and Jason Jimenez's off season apeal which saw him get nothing for ending Garjiluo's career after the whistle.

2014 MVP

Postby Inquiring Mind » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Chyep wrote:Didn't Gass apeal his suspension and get nothing?

Unfortunately the CFL has a poor record in this department. Edmonton will apeal the suspension, because they always do, and it will be overturned, because the while the CFLPA doesn't have much clout financialy, they seem to win these for the players being penalized. Wittness AJ Gass's successful appeal and Jason Jimenez's off season apeal which saw him get nothing for ending Garjiluo's career after the whistle.

Do teams even have a say in it?

I was under the impression the decision to appeal was up to the player and CFLPA... and the PA will appeal anything unless the player says don't
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Champion

Postby Chyep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:19 pm

:hmm:
I don't know.

I always "assumed" I guess that it was done by the club. If it is in fact from the PA first, then who is looking out for the victoms?

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football