Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Why no Schooners party? Thank Montreal GCC

Post by Ron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:01 am

From Hambone on Total CFL
Atlantic Schooners Down East Kitchen Party did not happen this year. I talked to the lone member of their committee. In his words "they didn't want us". Montreal took the tact that because the Schooners are not a part of the CFL they didn't have a place at this years event. The Schooner member tells me it is too bad as they are the only organization who puts on an event and leaves the moneys raised with the community. They donate any proceeds to a local charity. So the big loser for them not being there was probably the Montreal Food Bank. In the end they took the high road and released a joint statement that their absence was a "communications" issue. They're already working with Calgary to be back for 2009.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

CatsEyes
Superstar

Re: Why no Schooners party? Thank Montreal GCC

Post by CatsEyes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 am

Wow, that's stunning. Were it not for the Schooner party in Toronto last year, the Renegade/Rough Rider movement may not have gained as much steam as it has.It was there that members of Renegade Nation connected with Orleans Councilor Bob Monette, who has been a champion and a loud voice at council meetings. He has organized several informal meetings with RN members to help rally the cause and get their input and ideas. That notwithstanding, the Schooner party was one of the best out there. Here's hoping that it keeps going strong. Go Schooners!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:51 am

Yes, continuing with the 'working with Calgary' thought. I was talking to winched and he said that Calgary was doing more than that and it would be happening there. Winched?

winched
Starter
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by winched » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:52 pm

ticatfan wrote:Yes, continuing with the 'working with Calgary' thought. I was talking to winched and he said that Calgary was doing more than that and it would be happening there. Winched?
That is indeed correct Ticatfan. John Ryerson was telling me that the Schooners will be there is Calgary. What he had planned on doing this year was have 50 staff members serving drinks so that there was no lineup. Also, in Calgary, they will be selling the lobster hats but they will be of a different design. When I heard about what had happened tot he Schooners, my lobster hat became my official GC hat in support of the Schooners.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Now I'm glad I gave my Tix for the Saturday Riderville/Ticat bash to 2 guys from Halifax who I met in the Hotel elevator Saturday noonish who asked me where they could get tix as they couldn't get in Friday night. They sure were surprised and happy when I whipped out the pair of tix and said "here ya go". The look of shock was funny... :wink:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:05 am

ArgoDave wrote:Now I'm glad I gave my Tix for the Saturday Riderville/Ticat bash to 2 guys from Halifax who I met in the Hotel elevator Saturday noonish who asked me where they could get tix as they couldn't get in Friday night. They sure were surprised and happy when I whipped out the pair of tix and said "here ya go". The look of shock was funny... :wink:
That's what the CFL is all about AD!

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:16 am

winched wrote:
ticatfan wrote:Yes, continuing with the 'working with Calgary' thought. I was talking to winched and he said that Calgary was doing more than that and it would be happening there. Winched?
That is indeed correct Ticatfan. John Ryerson was telling me that the Schooners will be there is Calgary. What he had planned on doing this year was have 50 staff members serving drinks so that there was no lineup. Also, in Calgary, they will be selling the lobster hats but they will be of a different design. When I heard about what had happened tot he Schooners, my lobster hat became my official GC hat in support of the Schooners.
Agree. Same as they told me at Hurleys. Definately in for Calgary 2009. :beer:
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

smokey
Playground Scrub

Post by smokey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 am

[quote="winched"][quote="ticatfan"]Yes, continuing with the 'working with Calgary' thought. I was talking to winched and he said that Calgary was doing more than that and it would be happening there. Winched?[/quote]

That is indeed correct Ticatfan. John Ryerson was telling me that the Schooners will be there is Calgary. What he had planned on doing this year was have 50 staff members serving drinks so that there was no lineup. Also, in Calgary, they will be selling the lobster hats but they will be of a different design. When I heard about what had happened tot he Schooners, my lobster hat became my official GC hat in support of the Schooners.[/quote]

When we spoke to John he also told us they will defintely be in Calgary - they were asked by the Calgary Grey Cup committee to have a hospitality room.

He also mentioned to watch their website next year for an announcement about fans volunteering to be bartenders and hopefully an announcement about a big concert (not yet confirmed).