To All those I Missed Talking Too at Grey Cup

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

spikewpg
Starter

To All those I Missed Talking Too at Grey Cup

Post by spikewpg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 pm

What a wonderful time, and that time just flew by. For those I don't know, I was hoping to mingle at the Meet and Greet and put faces to names but some fabulous Schwartz's smoked meat wasn't sitting well with me that Saturday afternoon, so standing, let alone chatting was tough there for a while. :rotf: And even though I was outfitted like a complete idiot in mohawk and superbomber outfit, I can be shy and just walking up and chatting with someone isn't my style. But next year in Calgary I've promised myself to be more assertive, corner you and force you to talk football with me :wink:

To Grey Cup Garry, the bus - genius. What a complete stress free experience. Maybe you should offer your organizing services to the vendors at the big O?

Even though as I get older and the years seem to fly, I think this one until the next grey cup will be very very slow :(

PS Did anyone else show up at work on Tues with a French Canadian accent??
Don't let anyone tell you differently - alcohol solves most problems.

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: To All those I Missed Talking Too at Grey Cup

Post by woody » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:51 pm

I saw you there.

There were "Name Tags" for everyone, however not too many wore them.

It's a shame really that we tend to chat with only those we knew from before.

Next Meet and Greet we will have to make "Name-Tags" mandatory... :wink: :beauty: :beer:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

winched
Starter

Post by winched » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:35 pm

spikewpg wrote:What a wonderful time, and that time just flew by. For those I don't know, I was hoping to mingle at the Meet and Greet and put faces to names but some fabulous Schwartz's smoked meat wasn't sitting well with me that Saturday afternoon, so standing, let alone chatting was tough there for a while. :rotf: And even though I was outfitted like a complete idiot in mohawk and superbomber outfit, I can be shy and just walking up and chatting with someone isn't my style. But next year in Calgary I've promised myself to be more assertive, corner you and force you to talk football with me :wink:

To Grey Cup Garry, the bus - genius. What a complete stress free experience. Maybe you should offer your organizing services to the vendors at the big O?

Even though as I get older and the years seem to fly, I think this one until the next grey cup will be very very slow :(

Au contraire mon ami, I liked your getup. Without it on, I had a hard time recognising you. It was a pleasure to have met you, Trish and all the others...you made my GC experience memorable. :beer:

Canuck_4_Life
All Star

Post by Canuck_4_Life » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:01 pm

As an occasional poster here, it was a pleasure to put faces to usernames. I found this GC experience to be interesting for myself, in that, I had the chance to run with a number of factions, so to speak, probably based on my trip to Hamilton where I met up with a number of folks that I wouldn't normally have run with, and then of course, I ran with my normal black & orange crowd as well.

After all, isn't that part of what makes GC what it is? Being able to whoop it up with fans of other teams, without the usual partisanship?

You worked on Tuesday? You poor soul. Seriously though, I haven't been back to work yet.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:12 pm

spikewpg wrote:What a wonderful time, and that time just flew by. For those I don't know, I was hoping to mingle at the Meet and Greet and put faces to names but some fabulous Schwartz's smoked meat wasn't sitting well with me that Saturday afternoon, so standing, let alone chatting was tough there for a while. :rotf: And even though I was outfitted like a complete idiot in mohawk and superbomber outfit, I can be shy and just walking up and chatting with someone isn't my style. But next year in Calgary I've promised myself to be more assertive, corner you and force you to talk football with me :wink:

That was you! Saw you a bunch (hotel and bus) and the costume was primo!. :) Just never got the formal intro stuff to know you were a 13thman dude.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:01 am

It was great meeting up with you Spike. And your get-up was great! Thanks for adding to the experience this year. And everyone else i met up with, old and new, it was a blast. Wished I hadn't taken Ill Saturday night or I would have made sure the bus was a more social expereince for me. I apologize if I seemed a little standoffish on Sunday and Monday.

Thanks everyone for a great time! :beer: :beer: :beer: :canada: :canada: :beer: :beer: :beer: :drunk:
[font=Comic Sans MS]if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing [/font]

woody
Superstar

Post by woody » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:33 am

Canuck_4_Life wrote:As an occasional poster here, it was a pleasure to put faces to usernames. I found this GC experience to be interesting for myself, in that, I had the chance to run with a number of factions, so to speak, probably based on my trip to Hamilton where I met up with a number of folks that I wouldn't normally have run with, and then of course, I ran with my normal black & orange crowd as well.

After all, isn't that part of what makes GC what it is? Being able to whoop it up with fans of other teams, without the usual partisanship?

You worked on Tuesday? You poor soul. Seriously though, I haven't been back to work yet.

:whs:

That's what it is all about! :beer:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

ticatfan
Superstar

Post by ticatfan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:11 am

It seems a long time ago that you posted and Garry said to meet up with some guy named Randy when you were in Toronto for business. The rest as they say, is history!

spikewpg
Starter

Post by spikewpg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:43 am

ticatfan wrote:

It seems a long time ago that you posted and Garry said to meet up with some guy named Randy when you were in Toronto for business. The rest as they say, is history!

Lol that's right Randy. That's the beauty of this site. I was new to the site and was coming for work in Toronto and the bombers were playing the argos on the Sunday. The ticats and edmonton, I believe, were playing on TV on the Thursday night and I posted if there were any sports bars close to my hotel to watch. Garry posted, contact Ticatfan, he'll be up for a drink and watching the game somewhere. So I did and we met up with a bunch of others and watched the game. I had so much fun, that when I was invited to Canadian Tire after work drinks on Friday, I said why notre More good times and drinks. And then the tailgate on Saturday and the rest is yes, history :clap:

I hope the schedulers make my wish come true and actually schedule an Argos and Ticats game where both are at home on the same weekend with one of them playing the bombers :cross: Then I'm down for a visit for sure. And even if they don't, I think I'll budget for a visit to Ivor Wynne - maybe when they play the Argos.

Yup, gonna be a long winter.
Don't let anyone tell you differently - alcohol solves most problems.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 am

I apologize if I seemed a little standoffish on Sunday

Didn't notice any difference. :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Ron wrote: That was you! Saw you a bunch (hotel and bus) and the costume was primo!. :) Just never got the formal intro stuff to know you were a 13thman dude.

Ok, so at least I'm not the only one who didn't recognize Spike! :oops:

Yeah, great costume Spike. :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Als Fan Ottawa 1
Starter
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Als Fan Ottawa 1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:27 pm

My main regret of this year's Grey Cup was not meeting more 13thman crew members... but I figured being such a new poster nobody would know me anyways, so let me get a full year of posting under my belt so people will actually be like "oh THAT guy!". That being said, grey cup banker girl (?) knocked on my hotel room looking for someone named Glenn?

But I was a last minute sub for my room at the Novotel as my buddy Martin's friends bailed on him and my hotel was way outta the city so it was a perfect setup. Fabulous time, save for the game results of course!
CALGARY 09: Redemption could not be sweeter in Calgary. GO ALS GO!

greycupbankerbabe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupbankerbabe » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 am

woody wrote:I saw you there.

There were "Name Tags" for everyone, however not too many wore them.

It's a shame really that we tend to chat with only those we knew from before.

Next Meet and Greet we will have to make "Name-Tags" mandatory... :wink: :beauty: :beer:

I had no idea that there were name tags. I would've worn one as they are a great way to know which people at the event are actually on 13thman and to meet those that we haven't met yet.
Next year.

greycupbankerbabe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupbankerbabe » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:59 am

Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:My main regret of this year's Grey Cup was not meeting more 13thman crew members... but I figured being such a new poster nobody would know me anyways, so let me get a full year of posting under my belt so people will actually be like "oh THAT guy!". That being said, grey cup banker girl (?) knocked on my hotel room looking for someone named Glenn?
But I was a last minute sub for my room at the Novotel as my buddy Martin's friends bailed on him and my hotel was way outta the city so it was a perfect setup. Fabulous time, save for the game results of course!

What???? You are kidding, right?
Which room were you in and how would you know who this "girl" was?

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:05 am

greycupbankerbabe wrote:
Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:My main regret of this year's Grey Cup was not meeting more 13thman crew members... but I figured being such a new poster nobody would know me anyways, so let me get a full year of posting under my belt so people will actually be like "oh THAT guy!". That being said, grey cup banker girl (?) knocked on my hotel room looking for someone named Glenn?

What???? You are kidding, right?
Which room were you in and how would you know who this "girl" was?

Because you had the look of a lousy Pong player. :tease:
[font=Comic Sans MS]if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing [/font]