Dominguez gets cut?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

EskimoGary
Playground Hero
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Dominguez gets cut?

Post by EskimoGary » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm no green and white fan so the fact that it's Matt Dominguez I could care less about. But whats with guys getting cut to avoid paying bonuses.
I mean, obviously it's legal. It just seems to be a CFL thing. Does this happen in other sports? What kinda bonuses are these? How is this worked into the contracts and how does the CFLPA put up with it? Maybe I'm missing something but you never here things like this in other sports. It just seems strange that you would agree to a contract that says, "I will give you a bonus...if I don't cut you first...and I have the right to cut you before a bonus is paid out". Maybe I'm the only one who finds this strange but I've never been one to care about contracts. Just curious.

Canuck_4_Life
All Star

Re: Dominguez gets cut?

Post by Canuck_4_Life » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:50 pm

I tend to believe it happens in the NFL as well, it's just we don't hear about it. The Lions did the same thing to Clermont.

I'm of the belief that these players know, that when bonuses are built into contracts, especially ones that kick in during the off-season, they are subjected to being cut, especially with guys like Clermont and Dominguez, who have a history with injuries.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:47 am

All sports when they can get away with it.

Look in baseball at all the times you see a hitter get less at bats to be certain they don't reach the at-bat level to guarantee the final year of a 4 year deal. (If the guy is slipping)
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 pm

It definitely happens in the NFL. And this is slightly different, but in the NHL Florida refused to finalize the trade for Brian McCabe until after Labour Day when the Leafs were contractually obligated to pay him a bonus last year.

The big difference here is that contracts are not guaranteed in the CFL and NFL, and they are in other leagues.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:33 pm

EskimoGary wrote:I'm no green and white fan so the fact that it's Matt Dominguez I could care less about. But whats with guys getting cut to avoid paying bonuses.
I mean, obviously it's legal. It just seems to be a CFL thing. Does this happen in other sports? What kinda bonuses are these? How is this worked into the contracts and how does the CFLPA put up with it? Maybe I'm missing something but you never here things like this in other sports. It just seems strange that you would agree to a contract that says, "I will give you a bonus...if I don't cut you first...and I have the right to cut you before a bonus is paid out". Maybe I'm the only one who finds this strange but I've never been one to care about contracts. Just curious.
The players also agree to the bonus knowing they may not be paid it, but then they get a better opportunity at finding a new job since they're not getting released late in the game when the rosters are all pretty much full and there's not much room to add anybody for more than minimum salary.

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 am

EskimoGary wrote:I'm no green and white fan so the fact that it's Matt Dominguez I could care less about. But whats with guys getting cut to avoid paying bonuses.
What it is basically a performance clause. If a guy plays outstanding during the season then most likely a team will want to keep him around for next season thus a bounus is paid. If he is injured or plays poorly then the off season clause would not be required because they would be cut or not offered a contract.

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by cunninglinguist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:16 am

With the Riders signing Clermont would this have been a surprise. Dominguez speed has dropped off due to his injuries, which would have moved him into a slotback position, and the Riders now have two (and both Canadian at that)
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Dominguez will never be the same with those injuries. His career is basically over .

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 pm

At least they waited until after that Corner Gas episode aired to release him. :wink:
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 am

redwhite2005 wrote:Dominguez will never be the same with those injuries. His career is basically over .
thats a real shame, he is a good player, and coming from a blue bomber fan, that's saying alot.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 am

Once he had the re occuring knee injuries that was it for him. I can remember him having a good season but after that he tapered off and that could be the injuries that caused that. It is a shame he has lots of talent for sure.