James Johnson joins Bombers in trade

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

redwhite2005
All Star

James Johnson joins Bombers in trade

Post by redwhite2005 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:47 am

Player movement in the Canadian Football League on Monday wasn't restricted to free-agent signings as the 2007 Grey Cup MVP found himself changing divisions.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders dealt defensive back James Johnson to Winnipeg for a 2011 Canadian college draft pick.

"He's a proven starter in this league," Blue Bombers head coach Mike Kelly said in a statement. "We think with his experience and type of player he is, that he fits the mould that we're looking for.

"We're excited that he decided to join the right side of the Banjo Bowl."

The five-foot-seven, 180-pound Johnson collected 39 defensive tackles, three interceptions and a fumble recovery last season.

In the 2007 Grey Cup, the Los Angeles native posted a record three pickoffs, returning one for 30 yards and a touchdown, in a 23-19 win over the Blue Bombers at Rogers Centre in Toronto.

It marked the first time since 1994 that a defensive player had captured MVP honours in the CFL's championship game.

Johnson joined the Riders as a free agent in 2006 and had spent the last three seasons in Regina.

He only began playing football at West Los Angeles Junior College, making the team as a defensive back after being switched from running back. He eventually landed a scholarship to Arkansas State University.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story ... trade.html

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Re: James Johnson joins Bombers in trade

Post by prairiedog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 pm

They gave him away! wtf?
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

BlueTitan
Superstar

Post by BlueTitan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Does that mean he's going to bring our Grey Cup that he took from us? :wink:

Good pick-up, though. :beauty:

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by LRCHC » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 pm

prairiedog wrote:They gave him away! wtf?
Yeah - I wonder if it was a salary cap thing or something. Maybe they needed to dump him to resign one or both of your linebackers? And if you're going to trade him, you gotta trade him to an eastern team... er sort of. Anyway, that's the only thing I can think of, Riders are freeing up room for an offer.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:23 pm

LRCHC wrote:
Yeah - I wonder if it was a salary cap thing or something. Maybe they needed to dump him to resign one or both of your linebackers? And if you're going to trade him, you gotta trade him to an eastern team... er sort of. Anyway, that's the only thing I can think of, Riders are freeing up room for an offer.
I think his gambling nature got him in a lot of trouble with the coaches - teams were baiting him and then taking advantage when he bit, a lot - and he would have been released if they couldn't trade him - so something's better than nothing.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Lerriuqs wrote:
LRCHC wrote:
I think his gambling nature got him in a lot of trouble with the coaches - teams were baiting him and then taking advantage when he bit, a lot - and he would have been released if they couldn't trade him - so something's better than nothing.
Where do you get this info? I highly doubt that he would have been released. I don't recall anyone complaining about his style or quality of play last season.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm

AngeloV wrote:
Lerriuqs wrote:
LRCHC wrote:
Where do you get this info? I highly doubt that he would have been released. I don't recall anyone complaining about his style or quality of play last season.
It's my opinion he would have been released. The coaches were very unhappy with Johnson in the last third of the season - he didn't see much time on the corner except when injuries hit. They had him playing primarily punt returns on special teams after the back-to-back with Calgary. In the first game he was jumping up really strong on the corner - even got a pick. The second game, Calgary ran the same play - Johnson bit on the pump fake and the receiver took it to the house. He didn't spend much time at corner the rest of the season after that.

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by prairiedog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 am

LRCHC wrote:
A high caliber DB is way harder to replace than an LB. LBs grow on trees comparatively. Good DBs are few and far between and generally take 2 or 3 years of development at the pro level. Any good athlete can step into a good defense at LB and be effective (not perfect but effective). Not so in the secondary.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:06 am

in irony in this deal amazes me.

hopfully Johnson will be making 3 interceptions hat wins us our frist grey cup in almost twenty years agaist Saskatchewan this season, ah revenge is so very very very sweet. :rotf:
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 am

prairiedog wrote:
LRCHC wrote:
A high caliber DB is way harder to replace than an LB. LBs grow on trees comparatively. Good DBs are few and far between and generally take 2 or 3 years of development at the pro level. Any good athlete can step into a good defense at LB and be effective (not perfect but effective). Not so in the secondary.
I agree with you they are very hard to replace. Hey Calvin Bannister is available! LOL