The 1:00 Als/Lions Debacle Explained

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

jazzace
Prospect

The 1:00 Als/Lions Debacle Explained

Post by jazzace » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:58 am

Higgins has very quickly posted an explanation for what happened on Friday night:

http://cfl.ca/article/late-in-the-als-vs-lions-game

Basically, the league is claiming that one of the four officials with pagers blew the second play dead. I've gone back to the TSN On Demand feed of the play (scrub ahead to just before the 35:00 mark) and the only whistles that are audible come after the touchdown is scored. The type of whistling you would expect (repeated toots) does not occur until the player is in goal. There are also no officials making the stop clock signal, as was clearly evident in the previous play (the BC time out). It's hard to fathom that the recording would pick up some whistles (even in that loud environment) and not others, but I guess not all the officials were necessarily using the Fox 40 whistle (those are the loud ones you hear on the recording). It would be interesting for TSN to show this from the end zone camera (if they still have it) to see if there is an official blowing the play dead.

It's good to understand that this wasn't a replay challenge of any type, because that would have been against the rules. The Officiating Supervisor in the booth, in concert with someone in Toronto, felt the clock should have been reset to 1:05, even though the on-field officials thought it should be 1:00. If you look at the replay (which, ironically enough, could not have been used by the replay official by rule), it should have been about 1:03. The guys on the field got the page late.

I know this is professional sport, but I hate anything that takes control of the game away from the guys on the field or affects how the teams play the game (e.g., having to come up with three plays). Setting the clock to a time before the ball was snapped (which is what the on-field officials did) was sufficiently fair. The goal of the supervisor to try to be perfect is what caused this highly imperfect result.

(P.S.: If they give us the opportunity to submit more rule change suggestions next year, I will suggest that defensive teams — Team B in rule book nomenclature — not be allowed to call a timeout once play is whistled in. It would have eliminated this situation entirely.)

zarrell
Champion
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: The 1:00 Als/Lions Debacle Explained

Post by zarrell » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 am

Blowing the play dead only helped Montreal anyway, as they would have been called for holding on the TD.

Still a goofy sequence that shouldn't have happened.
ping wrote:im now a ticat fan!!!!

jazzace
Prospect

Post by jazzace » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:13 am

zarrell wrote:Blowing the play dead only helped Montreal anyway, as they would have been called for holding on the TD.
That's far from certain. The flag went up almost immediately on the snap of the ball and was thrown by the official responsible for calling offside. My bet was that it was offside Lions.

{Edit @ 12:36 MDT: Higgins confirms the flag was Offside Lions: http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... als_lions/ }
Last edited by jazzace on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 am

What a clusterf***

The league should be ashamed
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:What a clusterf***

The league should be ashamed
:whs:
That was redonculous
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:24 pm

That is the second big officiating break that B.C. has gotten this year that has played a key role in helping them win a home game. Why can't the Argos get a break like that? :?
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

1argoholic
Champion

Post by 1argoholic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:36 pm

That looked horrible for the league.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:25 am

There's something fishy going on. None of this explains why Wally would be so pissed off that a TD was called back against the Als.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

glenvb
Champion
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by glenvb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 am

I'm guessing that Wally was upset because he thought (incorrectly) that the penalty was against the Als. Maybe he saw the apparent Als hold that was mentioned.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS!

redwhite2005
All Star

They admit to blown call bc vs the Als

Post by redwhite2005 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:34 am

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...312/story.html

Like I said time to fire these two clowns.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 am

Very good story, but bad copy and paste, but what do you expect, he's a Stampeder fan... :tease:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/adm ... story.html

Goes into a lot of detail and pretty much clears up what did happened... and no two ways about it, Montreal got hosed
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:08 am

I guess we can put an * on Wally being the coach with the most wins in history of the CFL. That is two games that should not count as wins. Why is it in BC place they have so much trouble with the time clock and Jakes love of Wally?

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 am

What I can`t understand is why it was necessary to correct the clock right then and there. What would be the problem in letting the play run its course then add the extra time before the next play. Now if were the last play of the game with no time left on the clock that would be an issue but not with a minute left as there is still time to work with. There is to much blowing the plays dead right at the snap of the ball, be it for offsides or timeouts, etc. I hope this is something that is addressed over the off season.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by prairiedog » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:23 am

jazzace wrote:
zarrell wrote:Blowing the play dead only helped Montreal anyway, as they would have been called for holding on the TD.
That's far from certain. The flag went up almost immediately on the snap of the ball and was thrown by the official responsible for calling offside. My bet was that it was offside Lions.

{Edit @ 12:36 MDT: Higgins confirms the flag was Offside Lions: http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... als_lions/ }
The flag on the (non)TD was thrown right in front of me as I sat on the line of scrimmage 14 rows up. It was thrown right at the snap, so it could not have been a hold.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:40 pm

prairiedog wrote:
jazzace wrote:

The flag on the (non)TD was thrown right in front of me as I sat on the line of scrimmage 14 rows up. It was thrown right at the snap, so it could not have been a hold.
Seems like that is the final version given as we heard several, however that said, BC should complain about the blatant holding vs Brent Johnson on the play....whoops the non play. :i: :i:
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!