The 1:00 Als/Lions Debacle Explained

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: The 1:00 Als/Lions Debacle Explained

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Rammer wrote:
Seems like that is the final version given as we heard several, however that said, BC should complain about the blatant holding vs Brent Johnson on the play....whoops the non play. :i: :i:
Yeah, that's the real travesty in all this, a hold wasn't called... god forbid the Lions EVER fail to get a call their way... :rotf: :wink:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Seems like that is the final version given as we heard several, however that said, BC should complain about the blatant holding vs Brent Johnson on the play....whoops the non play. :i: :i:
Yeah, that's the real travesty in all this, a hold wasn't called... god forbid the Lions EVER fail to get a call their way... :rotf: :wink:
Yeah like the pass interference that put BC at the Als 3 YL
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

Noah
Playground Scrub

Post by Noah » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:34 pm

jim popp was on the team 990 in montreal this afternoon and he was furious. buono's funny:

There’s no controversy,” he said. “Sometimes you’re going to lose. If it protects the integrity of the game, then you have to put up with a glitch

wonder what his comments would've been if the shoe were on the other foot? Als didn't play well, but there sure was a lot of weird bad calls vs them. would love to see the stats for calls vs / for lions in BC the last few years.

Als will be angry and ready on sunday. i think they're going to destroy BC

Gerry
Champion

Post by Gerry » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Noah wrote:jim popp was on the team 990 in montreal this afternoon and he was furious. buono's funny:

There’s no controversy,” he said. “Sometimes you’re going to lose. If it protects the integrity of the game, then you have to put up with a glitch

wonder what his comments would've been if the shoe were on the other foot? Als didn't play well, but there sure was a lot of weird bad calls vs them. would love to see the stats for calls vs / for lions in BC the last few years.

Als will be angry and ready on sunday. i think they're going to destroy BC
No you wouldn't. It would contradict your prejudice. And what difference does it make whether it's in BC or elsewhere? The Lions don't chose the refs at home, or away.

There were some weird calls FOR the Als as well. Well not weird, but debatable. But of course you wouldn't notice any of those.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Rammer wrote:
If you think about this call, I can't really see how it would have benefited the Lions at that point. Sure the Als were jobbed from a TD, but the time left on the clock would have given the Lions a legitimate chance for a FG, whereas the potential still loomed for the Als to gain the first down, kill off more time on the clock and score the TD. In all honesty, if the Als were going to score the TD, I would have rather it happen then vs in an additional 3 or 4 plays. At that point who knows if the Als decide to go for the two point conversion in order to outright win the game....
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

B.C.FAN
All Star

Post by B.C.FAN » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm

SectionW wrote: Yeah like the pass interference that put BC at the Als 3 YL
You don't like legitimate penalties being called? If Jackson hadn't been interfered with, that would have been a touchdown.

The breaks and penalties go both ways. In recent years, the Lions have had more than their share of bad breaks in Montreal. The Lions had 3 fumbles and 2 interceptions in Montreal last year, plus a critical pass interference penalty in the end zone in the dying minutes to set up Montreal's game-winning touchdown but B.C. still came within a yard of winning on the final play. I look forward to a great rematch on Sunday.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by SectionW » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:44 am

B.C.FAN wrote:
SectionW wrote: Yeah like the pass interference that put BC at the Als 3 YL
You don't like legitimate penalties being called? If Jackson hadn't been interfered with, that would have been a touchdown.
That was a BS call, the defender played the ball and did not touch Jackson, that is called great coverage. legitimate no way. Just take your orange glasses off that helps with the vision.

B.C.FAN
All Star

Post by B.C.FAN » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 am

SectionW wrote:That was a BS call, the defender played the ball and did not touch Jackson, that is called great coverage. legitimate no way. Just take your orange glasses off that helps with the vision.
It was right in font of me and the defender had his right arm around Jackson and pulled on him, impeding his progress. A penalty is a penalty. How about the one on Ryan Phillips in the end zone in Montreal last year that set up the Als' winning touchdown? It looked like a BS call to me but I was watching on TV. I'll defer to your judgment if you saw it live.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by SectionW » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 am

B.C.FAN wrote:
SectionW wrote:That was a BS call, the defender played the ball and did not touch Jackson, that is called great coverage. legitimate no way. Just take your orange glasses off that helps with the vision.
It was right in font of me and the defender had his right arm around Jackson and pulled on him, impeding his progress. A penalty is a penalty. How about the one on Ryan Phillips in the end zone in Montreal last year that set up the Als' winning touchdown? It looked like a BS call to me but I was watching on TV. I'll defer to your judgment if you saw it live.
saw it on PVR slow mo from 3 angles, and no it was not, way better than single angle at a distance in the stadium. Try watching again.

B.C.FAN
All Star

Post by B.C.FAN » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:02 am

SectionW wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
saw it on PVR slow mo from 3 angles, and no it was not, way better than single angle at a distance in the stadium. Try watching again.
There was no distance involved. I was at the back of the end zone, 25 yards from where the penalty occurred, and he was running right toward me. This was not a case of hand fighting or incidental contact. It was an intentional act of interference and the penalty flag flew immediately. The Als didn't argue the call.

Als Fan Ottawa 1
Starter
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Als Fan Ottawa 1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 am

B.C.FAN wrote: There was no distance involved. I was at the back of the end zone, 25 yards from where the penalty occurred, and he was running right toward me. This was not a case of hand fighting or incidental contact. It was an intentional act of interference and the penalty flag flew immediately. The Als didn't argue the call.
Umm... have you seen who the Als coach is? He didn't argue when the Als tied the game and had their touchdown whiped. Just cause the Als didn't argue doesn't mean a damn thing, it means they are extremely disciplined in that aspect of the game.
CALGARY 09: Redemption could not be sweeter in Calgary. GO ALS GO!

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by SectionW » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:41 am

Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: There was no distance involved. I was at the back of the end zone, 25 yards from where the penalty occurred, and he was running right toward me. This was not a case of hand fighting or incidental contact. It was an intentional act of interference and the penalty flag flew immediately. The Als didn't argue the call.
Umm... have you seen who the Als coach is? He didn't argue when the Als tied the game and had their touchdown whiped. Just cause the Als didn't argue doesn't mean a damn thing, it means they are extremely disciplined in that aspect of the game.
Exactly and arguing when you cannot challenge means squat, and it's not like he would have seen better from where he was.

1argoholic
Champion

Post by 1argoholic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:58 pm

I guess Higgins said sorry for the mistake but that mistake is huge. Hamilton is closing in on Montreal and BC is now sitting in the crossover and one game out of first.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:55 pm

The Stamps when losing to the Lions after getting a winning touchdown from an onside kick that Jake the snake screwed up could not get anything out of the league. that mistake pushed Calgary out of the playoffs. So I would bet that Montreal has next to no chance of getting anything out of the protest.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:06 pm

redwhite2005 wrote:The Stamps when losing to the Lions after getting a winning touchdown from an onside kick that Jake the snake screwed up could not get anything out of the league. that mistake pushed Calgary out of the playoffs. So I would bet that Montreal has next to no chance of getting anything out of the protest.
They will force the league to reconsider how the Control Central Official is allowed to do his business. What gets me, is that the clock was at 1:05 prior to the TO call, and when the official began waving his arms the clock had about 1:04 remaining, yet the clock was reset to 1:00. IMO, the clock wasn't set correctly, but unless the whistle went in prior to the snap, that play should have counted.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!