EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: Lions and Tigers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:
hfxbomberfan wrote:I never saw this coming at all. I thought Hamilton would roll over them. Glenn had a bad game and Printers and the Lions wanted it more I guess. We can't blame the officiating but others will have to agree with me that it was horrible and not in favour of the Ti-Cats at all. Oh well, there's always next year for the Ti-Cats. :hmm:

Now, BC going into Montreal next weekend ? I say Good Luck with trying to tame the "The Beast From the East".

GO ALS, GO ! ! ! :mtl: :olals:

Sure sounds like you are blaming the officiating. Actually thought the reffing was at least tolerable this game. It certainly didn't look like it favored one side over the other.
Of course you guys are gonna say the officiating was OK. BC won. I guess you didn't see the two BC O-Line guys laying on top of the defensive players. Seems to me that is holding, but where the hell was the line judge. :0

I'm not pissed that the officiating was one sided, yes it did improve in the 2nd half, but I will call bad reffing on both sides of the ball regardless if my team is winning or not. :beauty:

Yes, I agree with you guys, there were some bad calls against the Lions as well. It makes you wonder what the heck Jake Ireland is watching at Ref HQ: He must be spending more time looking at the back of his eyelids for him to miss so many bad calls this year ! :sleep: :rotf:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Actually, no I'm not just going to say it was OK because they won. I'm one of those types you generally rants at the TV when iffy calls are made. Ruins the flow of the game and whatnot. I didn't utter a peep during the game this time round. That is my benchmark for whether or not the officiating was half decent. Yes there were some blown calls but they mostly appeared to letting things get decided by the players and for the most part it was a cleanly played game. Made it all the better IMO.
Lest We Forget!

CatsEyes
Superstar

Post by CatsEyes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

hfxbomberfan wrote:We can't blame the officiating but others will have to agree with me that it was horrible and not in favour of the Ti-Cats at all.
Really? Click the link and scroll down. I'll wait. OK. Now on the page *I'm* looking at, I see 11 penalties on the Lions and 6 on the 'Cats. And that doesn't favour the 'Cats how exactly?

http://liveplay.cflcentral.com/LPFiles/ ... board.html
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

alawishus
Rookie

Post by alawishus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 am

That was a pretty good exciting game for an East playoff. They're generally defensive battles. Here's hoping Montreal wins this week, but only because I like to keep the East/West teams in the Grey Cup.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

alawishus wrote:That was a pretty good exciting game for an East playoff. They're generally defensive battles. Here's hoping Montreal wins this week, but only because I like to keep the East/West teams in the Grey Cup.
I'd enjoy an All West or East Grey Cup, but not this season, and certinly not with this year's BC team that are here because of the refs messing up, and apparently throwing the game with Edmonton to take 3rd in the east, in which cause Winnipeg would be in the playoffs.

Montreal and Saskatchewan, that will be the historic story this Grey Cup! :beer:
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

bobg1
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by bobg1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 pm

How do you figure BC threw the game against Edmonton? BC had 3 QB's injured before the game and Printers got hurt in the 1st half and then Rocky got re-injured, which left Champion to finish the game. So that equals 4 injured QB's. :dizzy:

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 am

Kanga-Kucha wrote:
alawishus wrote:That was a pretty good exciting game for an East playoff. They're generally defensive battles. Here's hoping Montreal wins this week, but only because I like to keep the East/West teams in the Grey Cup.
I'd enjoy an All West or East Grey Cup, but not this season, and certinly not with this year's BC team that are here because of the refs messing up, and apparently throwing the game with Edmonton to take 3rd in the east, in which cause Winnipeg would be in the playoffs.

Montreal and Saskatchewan, that will be the historic story this Grey Cup! :beer:
Some here would take issue with your claiming that the Lions "threw" that game. By that logic, Winnipeg "threw" the season, and didn't deserve to be in the Playoffs. Perhaps your beef is with the League for its officiating, and its use of the crossover?

Then again, controversy is your thing isn't it, given that your "let's get rid of the Queen" and other political threads never fly here?
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:37 am

Kanga - just remember that Winnipeg still controlled their fate heading into that last game. Win and they were in. But they didn't and just watch the playoffs rather than be in them.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am

bobg1 wrote:How do you figure BC threw the game against Edmonton? BC had 3 QB's injured before the game and Printers got hurt in the 1st half and then Rocky got re-injured, which left Champion to finish the game. So that equals 4 injured QB's. :dizzy:
there are rumors going about that they might have. More than likely just a bunch of lies by people looking to get attention, but I think there is something to it, especially in the wake of BC amazing performance against Hamilton after (in addition to Casey's apparent injury, and great recovery) their D couldn't stop a run to save itself against Edmonton.

It's not the first time a team would have threw a game to get ahead or an advantage in this manner. The Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6, the canes IMHO clearly gave that game to Edmonton to have a Game 7 in Carolina in order to make more money with a sell out game 7 to help what has been a money troubled team. The 2006 Sweden Men's Olympic team threw the last regular game they played to face weaker opponents in the finals, and ended up winning the gold.

Maybe there should be an investigation, but hopefully Montreal should defend them, and render the debate irrelevant.

For me, the whole things is a bit suspect, and I hope isn't true, but it's worth a look at. In any case, for me, there is just too much controversy surrounding this team (like the Mon/BC game, where a ref call basically made the whole thing a possibility, and had the Mon TD counted, and Mon won, Winnipeg would have made the playoffs), for me to hope they win the East Final, and the Grey Cup.
Rids wrote:Kanga - just remember that Winnipeg still controlled their fate heading into that last game. Win and they were in. But they didn't and just watch the playoffs rather than be in them.
True, and don't get me wrong, I am not bitter about Winnipeg not being in, IMHO, and as a latter post shows, I'm almost happy they they didn't make it because they have massive issues they need to work out, and not making the playoffs after making it the last 3 seasons I hope is the wake up call the organization needs to go in another direction.

If BC was in the East Final under different and better circumstances, I'd be more inclined to support them. They are a skilled team, and I know sometimes people get lucky, but this seems to me to be a bit more than luck, and their is just too much mystery here.
Solar Max wrote:Some here would take issue with your claiming that the Lions "threw" that game. By that logic, Winnipeg "threw" the season, and didn't deserve to be in the Playoffs. Perhaps your beef is with the League for its officiating, and its use of the crossover?

Then again, controversy is your thing isn't it, given that your "let's get rid of the Queen" and other political threads never fly here?
I said "apparently threw", I'm not sure but that's what I have been hearing on the grapevine, and I can't deny it is suspect.

I do think the officials in this league need better training, or new eyes to run it (maybe even female eyes, as the AFL in Australia is doing now) because some of the calls have been off, and have had disastrous consequences. For example, unrelated to the BC Lions, their was a FG at the end of the Hamilton/Winnipeg game that was counted as good, but upon further review, it clearly went wide and should have NOT have been ruled a successful FG. In the game that Hamilton was running away with, it didn't really matter, but those kinds of calls can damage a league's reputation, not to mention make the refs look like fools because they should NOT happen in ANY case. Sure, refs make mistakes, they are human, but they can't afford to make mistakes like that, especially since they are so easily fixable with better tech AND BETTER TRAINING. Let's also face it, some of these refs like Ireland should retire and make way for others with better training. As one that would like to see the total number of penalties used in some capacity to break ties in the standings at the end of the season, for the league to have better refs is an imperative for me.

and anyone that knows me knows I am a huge supporter of the cross over, and want to see it be used even if the league were to become an equal 10 team league with 5 teams in each division. The crossover is not an issue here, never has been. In fact it's a great solution to the those that want an all 10 team league with no divisions, and those that want the keep the divisions as they are. It allows for the traditional East Vs. West Grey Cup 9 times out of 10 (even if there have been a few that could be consisted all west GCs) with the small chance of an All west/east match up. I'd go on but I'm gonna stop there, and end with this statement, the fact that people are still calling for the end of the CO after the historic GC of 2007, and the almost historic GC match up in 2008, is beyond me.

and let's keep the politics on the political thread.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Where exactly have you heard the rumours that BC threw the game?
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

fan7
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by fan7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Obviously Kanga-Kucha is spot on declaring the Officials along with the Lions intentionally injuring their QB’s and allowing uncontested runs (thus throwing the game) are the only reasons the Lions are in the Eastern Final. Bomber coaching guru Mike Kelly realized this and endeavoured to use this strategy in the Bomber last game vs. Hamilton. His team took undisciplined penalties and let the Tiger Cats run and throw at will, another words throwing the game. But it didn’t work? The effort was there, the plan was in place, but the result didn’t materialize.

I trust that Coach Kelly will review this tactic and have an improved scheme next season. There is a reason he is regarded as one of the best coaches ever to coach in the CFL. Maybe he will look at allowing his QB’s to be hit in practise, look at being a little more undisciplined. Hey, it seems that worked for the Lions it has to work for the Bombers.

Again let’s give Coach Kelly the credit and respect he deserves. God bless Coach Kelly.
:pass:

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm

cossack wrote:Where exactly have you heard the rumours that BC threw the game?
cfl.ca had a few posters saying that, and they mite have some comentators articles to back that up.
fan7 wrote:Again let’s give Coach Kelly the credit and respect he deserves. God bless Coach Kelly.
:pass:
Kelly is a fool, although it didn't matter, for the sake of the team, and the league's honor, he should have challeged the ruling on that fake FG. Thats was his so far 100th mistake as HC, and why oh why the bombers organisation is giving me another chance at HC next seasons is beyound my conprehension. Berry gets the Bombers to 3 playoffs apperenches in his 3 years, inculding one East Champ and GC apherence, and get's the boot for this guy? who takes the team to 7 and 11, and out of the playoffs? He should be sacked and never be HC of a CFL team ever again.
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Some 2,000 years ago Ovid wrote: Hi narrata ferunt alio; mensuraque ficti Crescit et auditus aliquid novus adjicit auctor. Or translated from the Latin:
Some report elsewhere whatever is told them; the measure of fiction always increases, and each fresh narrator adds something to what he has heard.
I believe he was talking about cfl.ca :wink:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Uh oh. Kanga is back.

13thman.com...THE place to talk football.