Finals prediction thread

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Finals prediction thread

Post by LRCHC » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am

I know Ping started something on the semifinal- and he added to it the finals, but this deserves it's own thread.

First up - B.C. @ Montreal

Wow - what it must be like to be a Lions fan, eh? Going from a joke of a team one week in an (almost) must win game to actually showing up for the semi? What team will show up for the Eastern final? I say it doesn't matter. B.C. at its best this year would only keep the game somewhat close. Montreal is on a mission. What, you guys don't think they'd love to come back to Alberta and beat another host team in their barn to win the Grey Cup, Especially since they got beat by that team last year?

Montreal by 15

Calgary @ Saskatchewan

These guys haven't played a poor game against each other all year, and I expect this to be the best one of the bunch (well, save the tie game where Calgary played the overtime like a bunch of imbeciles). Anyway, Calgary would love to make it two in a row at home, but to do that they'll need to beat Sask in Regina in front of those rabid fans. Not sure of the forcast yet but I don't think weather will play a significant roll in this game. I like Sask in this one to spoil the Calgary Party, and disappoint the Al's who would love to get their revenge next week in Calgary.

Sask by 6

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Re: Finals prediction thread

Post by Rammer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 am

BC by 7 and the Riders win by 18
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 am

Edmonton just couldn't seal the deal, sad to watch, and those were all good calls by the refs by and large.

anyway, my picks are (for fun)

Montreal over BC (Casey will play well, but Montreal will avenge their should-be win that made it possible for BC to get here in the first place)

Saskatchewan over Edmonton...I mean Calgary :rotf: (sorry Calgary fans, but IMHO, you should have been able to beat Edmonton easier than that, and have a 10 to 15 advantage, not 3. At least now we know the would be results if last year's GC was a battle of Alberta match up)
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 am

I am predicting a Riders vs Als grey cup.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by cunninglinguist » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 am

Phew. Things have finally slowed down at work and I can post again, rather than just keep up on the witty banter (present company excluded).

Anyhow, I'm picking the Als in the east and because I am to friggun superstitious I am making no predicitions about the Riders and Stamps game.
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

orangegloves
Playground Hero
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by orangegloves » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Montreal in the East, and Calgary in the West a repeat of last years Grey Cup with Montreal winning this year!

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by woody » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Montreal by 15

Sask by 12

No surprises here...everybody will bring their "A" game!
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

ETMRaw
All Star

Post by ETMRaw » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 pm

orangegloves wrote:Montreal in the East, and Calgary in the West a repeat of last years Grey Cup with Montreal winning this year!
I agree. Montreal has some "unfinished business"
There are no stupid questions. Only funny ones.

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 pm

woody wrote:Montreal by 15

Sask by 12

No surprises here...everybody will bring their "A" game!
:whs:
I agree with Woody and LRCHC. I think the scores you guys picked are pretty reasonable. I'm gonna stretch it out a bit and say Montreal by 28 over BC. :0 :olals:

As for the Riders / Stamps game, yeah, it's gonna be "down to the last second" by a field goal or a single. Just as long as the Riders beat the Stumps, I'll be a happy guy ! :yahoo: :olrr:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:06 pm

The way BC fought it out over Hamilton I would say their charged up enough to take it to the Al's and make it a close game. If they have a lead by as little as three points by halftime I say BC to upset the Al's by three to ten points.
I also wouldn't be shocked to see Calgary beat the Riders. Stamps by five.I would not predict a blow out in either game otherwise.
Sometimes a week off in playoffs can come back to haunt you.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 am

FANatic wrote:The way BC fought it out over Hamilton I would say their charged up enough to take it to the Al's and make it a close game. If they have a lead by as little as three points by halftime I say BC to upset the Al's by three to ten points.
I also wouldn't be shocked to see Calgary beat the Riders. Stamps by five.I would not predict a blow out in either game otherwise.
Sometimes a week off in playoffs can come back to haunt you.
The playoffs have two 1 - 0 teams vs two untested playoff contenders up for battle. both Calgary and BC have to take the game to their opposition right out of the gate, this is a great advantage of winning the semi-final, they have to use it. That said, the one aspect that I liked about the BC victory was the game development, winning the game with Hamilton not beating themselves, which was the case in the two regular season victories by Hamilton. They have a good D, a low turnover O and that has been an achilles heel for the Lions in 2009.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

spikewpg
Starter

Post by spikewpg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:45 am

BC v Montreal
Montreal is 9-0 at McGill so of course the game will be played indoors at the Big O where the last time Montreal played they lost. :smackhead: I know, I know, it's to accommodate more people, but isn't the real goal to maximize your shot of going to the grey cup? Football players are extremely superstitious so I wonder how this will affect the Montreal players, losing that home field aura? And Casey has always played well in a Dome.

But in saying that, I think Montreal is playing better than they did last year and the BC defense is still susceptible to the run, so I look for Trestman to exploit that. And if BC tries to stack the box like they did against Hamilton, then AC will have a field day. The BC defense has also had trouble stopping running backs who catch passes out of the backfield - and Montreal is the best at doing that.

I pick Montreal by 10, 17 if they played the game at McGill :wink:

Calgary v Sask

I think this will be the game of the year. The rivalry is intense and the stadium will be a madhouse. This might actually play into Calgarys hands as the Riders are a young team with a young QB and they might come out a little too amped and tight. Calgary will need to jump on that and get off to quick start and not let Durant get in a groove. It also will help silence their 13th man. Sask has had trouble scoring in the 3rd quarter so if they do start well, they have to make sure they don't let Cal back in the game by sh*tting the bed in the third.

But I think the key to the game will be Hank and his legs. In the 2008 regular season Hank averaged under 5 carries a game. In the 2 playoff games he ran for 17 times or over 8 times a game. This season he averaged just over 5 carries, and against Edmonton he ran 8 times. Those extra planned runs (not just scrambles) are tough for any defense to cover especially with Calgary's other weapons. Now that the games REALLY mean something the team is not afraid to call Hank's number on some designed run plays and he's more likely to take off when he has to scramble.

I pick Calgary by 3 with Henry running ten times and we have a repeat of last years Grey Cup in the other teams house :D
Don't let anyone tell you differently - alcohol solves most problems.

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by ping » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:35 am

bc by 9
stamps by 12
Bc wins grey cup and moves to Monton!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:58 pm

ETMRaw wrote:Montreal has some "unfinished business"
Please don't compare us to Winnipeg motto....Als 2009 motto is Everything Matters !

I just hope for 2 good games and an excellent Grey Cup !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

FANatic
Rookie

Post by FANatic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm

ping wrote:bc by 9
stamps by 12
Bc wins grey cup and moves to Monton!
Wow Ping,that's a prediction times two!