Someone Please tell me what happened????

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

DZ
Playground Hero

Re: Someone Please tell me what happened????

Post by DZ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 am

Chris Zelkovich has a good rundown:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... -it-happen

I too don't believe Armstead was the goat, but there's really no need for a returner with five seconds left. Even if the kick is missed, my understanding is the yards still have to be given, and someone from Saskatchewan could have run down to cover the ball while others blocked Duval to keep him from getting to it.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:58 am

DZ wrote:Chris Zelkovich has a good rundown:

I too don't believe Armstead was the goat, but there's really no need for a returner with five seconds left. Even if the kick is missed, my understanding is the yards still have to be given, and someone from Saskatchewan could have run down to cover the ball while others blocked Duval to keep him from getting to it.
TSn reported that it was Sean Lucas that went off between the two plays, seems like the most probable answer to the question on who was the 13th man.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 am

Rammer wrote:

TSn reported that it was Sean Lucas that went off between the two plays, seems like the most probable answer to the question on who was the 13th man.
It is speculation at best. The Riders have not announced, nor plan to announce who the extra player was. Lucas leaving the field for the second attempt doesn't necessarily mean he was the player who wasn't supposed to be out there to start with, it just means he left the filed to get to 12 for the second kick.
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Rammer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am

wildthing1971 wrote:
Rammer wrote:

It is speculation at best. The Riders have not announced, nor plan to announce who the extra player was. Lucas leaving the field for the second attempt doesn't necessarily mean he was the player who wasn't supposed to be out there to start with, it just means he left the filed to get to 12 for the second kick.
I agree on that to an extent, but the most likely situation seems to be Lucas. If there was going to be a difference on the blocking scheme, the Riders would have removed Armstead, as it stood only one player was removed, giving you the indication that the same block unit was on, just one player that wasn't suppose to be there.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:58 pm

B-17 wrote:What is being lost in the discussion over the last play is that the Riders were predicted to be underdogs and Montreal would walk away with it. But they were the team who came out and executed early and owned the Als's for three quarters. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before the Al's got on track and would start making plays on both offense and defense. Given a rookie QB, a star receiver out, their starting punter out, the Riders made one heck of a game out of it, and were only one play away from what would have been a major Grey Cup upset. They played a nearly perfect game against a much more talented team and nearly won it, and really deserve credit for making the Al's work so hard for it. And I think this year will make them even hungrier to come back next year and finish it, just like the Al's did this year.
They might - and the Riders are not badly positioned for that - but it is also possible that they may not win a Grey Cup again for another 20 years or so. Many of this league's detractors (e.g. Tony Gallagher) like to say that it is easy to win a Grey Cup in an eight or nine team league. However, most franchises have had long streaks of not winning the big game and even a top team year in and year out like Montreal has won only two Grey Cups in the last fourteen seasons, despite making twelve eastern final appearances. Furthermore, that western division is one tough one and there wasn't that much separating the Riders from the Stamps, Esks and Lions this year. They could be back in the big game next year but there is also a reasonable chance that they won't be.

The Riders remind me a little of the '87 Argos who were the favourites to win the Grey Cup in '88 after a heartbreaking loss in the '87 game. Well, after rolling up a 14-4 record, they lost to 9-9 Winnipeg in the eastern final in '88 and never made it back to the big game until 1991.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

1argoholic
Champion

Post by 1argoholic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:38 am

We had one mellon wearing little knob sitting near us. All game long he was elbowing my father inlaw and yelling crap like Tony, 13thman..13thman..13thman. So after the pentalty my wife looked right at him and said 13thman as he started crying. Now that was priceless. Plus she was proud of me because the way he was yapping at my father inlaw I was seriously wanting to punch his teeth out. But I really held it together and it all turned out well in the end.

I do feel sorry for the few nice Saskatchewan fans left. Too many mostly young morons all hammered on that Pil Swill make the whole province look BAD. I can't tell you how many racial french comments I heard. One chick was saying I F ing hate you Calvillo all game long. Real special.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 am

Yikes talk about a bad experience. My friend who is usually even handed really lost it with all the abuse he took.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Rammer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 pm

A short follow up to the Sean Lucas 13th man debate...TSN reported last night that during the locker room cleanup, Lucas wasn't in sight. That has to be the Riders protecting him from the media scrutiny, for one reason and one reason only.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 pm

1argoholic wrote:We had one mellon wearing little knob sitting near us. All game long he was elbowing my father inlaw and yelling crap like Tony, 13thman..13thman..13thman. So after the pentalty my wife looked right at him and said 13thman as he started crying. Now that was priceless. Plus she was proud of me because the way he was yapping at my father inlaw I was seriously wanting to punch his teeth out. But I really held it together and it all turned out well in the end.

I do feel sorry for the few nice Saskatchewan fans left. Too many mostly young morons all hammered on that Pil Swill make the whole province look BAD. I can't tell you how many racial french comments I heard. One chick was saying I F ing hate you Calvillo all game long. Real special.
I too have noticed the idiot factor increasing amongst Rider fans attending Grey Cups in recent years. I first noticed it in '07. For some reason all those friendly happy go lucky Rider fans i see every year were outnumbered and overshadowed by classless idiots that i hadnt seen in years past.

West Coast Als Fan
Rookie

Post by West Coast Als Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 pm

There was a time, not too long ago, when the Riders were everyone's "lovable losers". Now that they have shown the ability to actually win a Cup every now and then, their fans are no longer just happy to be there. Now, the stakes for those fans is much higher and it reflects in the bad behaviour of some. As an Als fan, I can tell you that I had no stress during Grey Cup week in Toronto back in 07 because my team wasn't playing. But last year in Montreal I had a knot in my stomach (which only got bigger after the Als blew it) I was difintiely a lot more irritable in 08 than in 07 simply because there was more on the line.

Still, I do find most Riders fans amusing. Even when their team isn't playing, they all believe that their team "should" be playing or that they are somehow more deserving simply because they have loyal fans. I used to tell them that championships are won on the field, not in the stands but after what happened on Sunday night I may have to re-think that assertion. Just this once, I think the Cup was won in the stands; just not for the team that most fans were cheering for.
Dancing is a "contact sport". Football is a "collision sport".

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am

Rammer wrote:A short follow up to the Sean Lucas 13th man debate...TSN reported last night that during the locker room cleanup, Lucas wasn't in sight. That has to be the Riders protecting him from the media scrutiny, for one reason and one reason only.
still don't buy it. Whoever came off the field is going to be "deemed" the 13th man whether he was or wasn't. Lucas was kept away from the media so he didn't have to answer to speculation because TSN feels it was him. Coach Reed said he told the payers that were on the field to be there, so he is the only one who should be questioned, the players on the field followed direction
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
Rammer wrote:A short follow up to the Sean Lucas 13th man debate...TSN reported last night that during the locker room cleanup, Lucas wasn't in sight. That has to be the Riders protecting him from the media scrutiny, for one reason and one reason only.
still don't buy it. Whoever came off the field is going to be "deemed" the 13th man whether he was or wasn't. Lucas was kept away from the media so he didn't have to answer to speculation because TSN feels it was him. Coach Reed said he told the payers that were on the field to be there, so he is the only one who should be questioned, the players on the field followed direction
Basically. Either of the possibilities can be true.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.