Someone Please tell me what happened????

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Loyal Lou
All Star

Someone Please tell me what happened????

Post by Loyal Lou » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 am

I was watching at Chips House, ands was of course very happy to think the Riders was going to win this Grey Cup game, but we all were having a political discussion also at the point when the Riders field goal looked good then a flag was thrown on the play and the winning Field goal was not good because of a Rider penalty. "What Was The Penalty, and who was the player that was called for the penalty? Lou
Loyal Lou, CFL fan from Baltimore,MD.

Alswin
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Re: Someone Please tell me what happened????

Post by Alswin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 am

Too many players on the field, second chance for Duval and Als win! :D

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 am

Hey Lou, great to see ya here again on 13thman ! :cowboy:

Does it ever suck to lose the GREY CUP like the Riders did. I would hate to be the guy who made the mistake of being the extra man on the field. Kavis Reed has stepped up to take full responsibility for it I hear.

However, at least the game ended up being a thriller and not a blow-out, one sided game. :beauty:
Last edited by hfxbomberfan on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

West Coast Als Fan
Rookie

Post by West Coast Als Fan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

The ultimate irony is that the extra Riders player on the field couldn't hear his bench yelling at him to get off the field precisely because Rider Nation was being so loud in their attempt to disrupt the Alouette's field goal attempt.

Guess they collectively drank one Pilsner too many.
:beer:
Dancing is a "contact sport". Football is a "collision sport".

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am

Riders were setting up for blocking the FG which means 12 men on the line of scrimmage, no one in the endzone. Armstead (returner) didn't realize this was the call and was in the end zone. Combination of coaching error and player error to ensure that everyone was on the same page. Was too bad Riders had burnt their time out or else they could have stopped the clock and made sure they had the right personnel on the field.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:22 am

B-17 wrote:Riders were setting up for blocking the FG which means 12 men on the line of scrimmage, no one in the endzone. Armstead (returner) didn't realize this was the call and was in the end zone. Combination of coaching error and player error to ensure that everyone was on the same page. Was too bad Riders had burnt their time out or else they could have stopped the clock and made sure they had the right personnel on the field.
I don't follow the logic of the 13th man being Armstead, as he was in for the second attempt as well. Whoever it was won't be enjoying the 13th man tribute that is the Riders signature now, next season. The fact that all things aligned to end up this way, the time on the clock, the use of the time out by the Riders, that the crowd noise (13thman) prevented the chances of hearing the desperate shouts to one player to get off, and finally that the FG attempt actually was missed, then hit. Wow.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:35 am

B-17 wrote:Riders were setting up for blocking the FG which means 12 men on the line of scrimmage, no one in the endzone. Armstead (returner) didn't realize this was the call and was in the end zone. Combination of coaching error and player error to ensure that everyone was on the same page. Was too bad Riders had burnt their time out or else they could have stopped the clock and made sure they had the right personnel on the field.
even in a block situation you have a returner, the error was someone on the line not Armstead. Armstead though has a responsibility to count guys and ensure 12 are on. Had he done that, he could have easily stepped out of the end zone and let the team know to drop some one back
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

redwhite2005
All Star

Post by redwhite2005 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm

West Coast Als Fan wrote:The ultimate irony is that the extra Riders player on the field couldn't hear his bench yelling at him to get off the field precisely because Rider Nation was being so loud in their attempt to disrupt the Alouette's field goal attempt.

This is too funny! This will always be a stat that will be enjoyable to bring up in the future.
What team had the biggest gaffe in the history of the Grey Cup?

RLeb
Rookie

Post by RLeb » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I wonder how many Saskatchewan fans will bring "fear the 13th man" posters next year?
“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need duct tape. And if it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD40.”
—Unknown

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

redwhite2005 wrote:
West Coast Als Fan wrote:The ultimate irony is that the extra Riders player on the field couldn't hear his bench yelling at him to get off the field precisely because Rider Nation was being so loud in their attempt to disrupt the Alouette's field goal attempt.

This is too funny! This will always be a stat that will be enjoyable to bring up in the future.
What team had the biggest gaffe in the history of the Grey Cup?
In a poll at the Toronto Star's website, the Riders' gaffe is considered to be an even bigger blunder than Bill Buckner's.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

ibleed4green
Rookie

Post by ibleed4green » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:54 pm

RLeb wrote:
In a poll at the Toronto Star's website, the Riders' gaffe is considered to be an even bigger blunder than Bill Buckner's.
Hey go big or go home......and yes fear the 13th man (ulp)
Just Believe!!

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:32 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
even in a block situation you have a returner, the error was someone on the line not Armstead. Armstead though has a responsibility to count guys and ensure 12 are on. Had he done that, he could have easily stepped out of the end zone and let the team know to drop some one back
The problem was that the Riders had already used their timeout. Even if Armstead got off the field they would've been called for the illegal substitution as it would've been 13 men on the field when the Als addressed the ball.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

ETMRaw
All Star

Post by ETMRaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:35 pm

RLeb wrote:I wonder how many Saskatchewan fans will bring "fear the 13th man" posters next year?
Maybe 12, or 13, no make that 12...er... 13. Can somebody please count how many??
There are no stupid questions. Only funny ones.

LRCHC
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by LRCHC » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

ibleed4green wrote:
RLeb wrote:
Hey go big or go home......and yes fear the 13th man (ulp)
I would have to agree. I called it (almost). I said when it was 27 to 11 that the 'riders would lose on a last play of the game field goal. Don't know why, I just got that feeling (I was serious).

However, no way did I predict that it would be done this way. What a way to lose, gut wrenching. But I thought it would be a blowout. Know what? IMO would have been better if it was. You went from Celebrating a win to suffering IMO your worst ever defeat in what, a span of 30 seconds? Talk about an emotional roller coaster. Don't feel sorry for ya either. Sk fans have been in our face now for a few years - this loss looks good on ya, humbled you a bit.

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:21 am

What is being lost in the discussion over the last play is that the Riders were predicted to be underdogs and Montreal would walk away with it. But they were the team who came out and executed early and owned the Als's for three quarters. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before the Al's got on track and would start making plays on both offense and defense. Given a rookie QB, a star receiver out, their starting punter out, the Riders made one heck of a game out of it, and were only one play away from what would have been a major Grey Cup upset. They played a nearly perfect game against a much more talented team and nearly won it, and really deserve credit for making the Al's work so hard for it. And I think this year will make them even hungrier to come back next year and finish it, just like the Al's did this year.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright