End of 2nd Half - Mistake Not To Go for TD?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

End of 2nd Half - Mistake Not To Go for TD?

Post by B-17 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 am

I still think Miller made the right call. From the two yard line out, I give the play a one in three chance of succeeding for the four extra points, no matter how good a Fullback Szarka is. Taking the FG put his team up by two TD's at half-time. Sure, in hindsight, those four extra points would have been nice, but there were stil two quarters left to play.

Other thoughts?
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Re: End of 2nd Half - Mistake Not To Go for TD?

Post by Rammer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:26 am

B-17 wrote:I still think Miller made the right call. From the two yard line out, I give the play a one in three chance of succeeding for the four extra points, no matter how good a Fullback Szarka is. Taking the FG put his team up by two TD's at half-time. Sure, in hindsight, those four extra points would have been nice, but there were stil two quarters left to play.

Other thoughts?
That could have easily resulted in zero points had the Riders tried for the TD, then the ending of the game wouldn't have near as dramatic. Personally, get the points that you are sure of on that play, being up two TD's looked like a very large hill for the Als to climb out of.

My question on the game management though would have been the final Rider possession, and not giving up the safety to have a tied game. Had the Riders done that, it would have been risky, but they had a much better chance of getting further in hindsight with the chance of OT. Leaving the game tied, could have slowed down the desperation of the Als O on that final drive, with both teams settling for the chance to settle it in OT. Thoughts?
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:30 am

Rammer wrote:
B-17 wrote:I still think Miller made the right call. From the two yard line out, I give the play a one in three chance of succeeding for the four extra points, no matter how good a Fullback Szarka is. Taking the FG put his team up by two TD's at half-time. Sure, in hindsight, those four extra points would have been nice, but there were stil two quarters left to play.

Other thoughts?
That could have easily resulted in zero points had the Riders tried for the TD, then the ending of the game wouldn't have near as dramatic. Personally, get the points that you are sure of on that play, being up two TD's looked like a very large hill for the Als to climb out of.

My question on the game management though would have been the final Rider possession, and not giving up the safety to have a tied game. Had the Riders done that, it would have been risky, but they had a much better chance of getting further in hindsight with the chance of OT. Leaving the game tied, could have slowed down the desperation of the Als O on that final drive, with both teams settling for the chance to settle it in OT. Thoughts?
Ya. Miller gives up the safety and the Als win in overtime. His head would be on a pike.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 am

was defintiely the right call to kick. The 3 isn't a guarantee let alone the TD. You had Mtl reeling and down by 2 TDs with the FG.

All the Riders had to do was move the ball once in the final few minutes of the game and they win, they couldn't
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Ron wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Other thoughts?

Ya. Miller gives up the safety and the Als win in overtime. His head would be on a pike.
I guess so, but rationalizing it, he could suggest that it took away the potential for the Als to win the game in regulation time and he liked his teams chances given the OT format. Still a loss would be akin to having a penalty for too many men on the field on the game missing FG, only to lose the game on the next play due to the penalty.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 pm

The problem with giving up the safety is that it also gives Montreal possession of the ball, giving them the chance o score go ahead points as well.

How about the decision not to make Montreal kick it again after the second illegal procedure call on the previous punt? Would more time come off of the clock, or would it have not started until the ball was snapped? Sure, they might have been caught in the coffin corner, but it might also have been shanked (again). And even if they did get pinned deep, they still would have still been up by three, and the eventual FG would have only tied it, not won it. Plus, Montreal's cover team would have been very tired at that point (third punt in a row) and Armstead might have broken one.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Rammer wrote:

Other thoughts?

They made the right choice to punt that ball away and they got a perfect punt there too. Bratton ended up fumbling it and the Als lost another 10 yards on the exchange. Montreal actually had to go a decent distance in a short amount of time to get that winning field goal so all you can do is just give Calvillo et al. an awful lot of credit for that.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 am

if we knew the game would end with the Als winning by one point, then it was a bad choice to not go for the TD, but at the time, not knowing, it was the right call.

There where other mistakes made by the Riders that could have easily turned the game around in their favor, such as letting Montreal have a single point, and not kick a punt for the third time.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?