Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Get 'em while they're HOT...

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 pm

... and before they're burned in effigy :lol:

http://shop.riderville.com/product_info ... ts_id=1237

Just in case they pull this item, for some unknown reason, better attach a screen cap. These would make a great stocking stuffer for that not-so-special Rider fan in your life :wink:

On a related note, what's the over under on how long The Rider Store remains "The Official Store of the 13th Man" :rotf:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

BCRiderFan
All Star

Re: Get 'em while they're HOT...

Post by BCRiderFan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 pm

I don't think they should change it or will change it. We all know who the real 13th man is for the Riders, we sit in the stands, and we're loud.

jaxon
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by jaxon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 pm

"Beware the 13th Man"

this was the sign one of the Rider faithful was waving all game long at the GC. We didn't rub it in his face, but both my son and I were laughing when thinking of the irony that he must have felt after the game.

I'm sure the 13th man slap will be hurled at the riders for quite some time to come.

The Saskatchewan dozen....
Buy a dozen green donuts and get the 13th one for free...... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:35 am

From gsg

Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 am

Ron wrote:From gsg

He was really decked out in his prediction for the future...

MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:18 am

They'll probably just change it to "Rider Nation", which is more unique anyways.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Paul Woods
Starter

Post by Paul Woods » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 am

I posted elsewhere, and I still believe, that this 13th man thing could be turned into an even bigger marketing home run than it already was. This is a rare chance to capitalize on something that virtually every football fan in Canada -- and tons of other people -- have just become aware of. With the right dose of humour and cleverness, this can be turned into a positive for the Roughriders' marketing efforts, IMO. We'll see if they try but I would not be surprised if they do.

Paul Woods
Starter

Post by Paul Woods » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 am

B-17 wrote:They'll probably just change it to "Rider Nation", which is more unique anyways.
13th Man (which matches 12th Man used in various parts of U.S. football) is not unique but I have a hard time seeing how Rider Nation could be considered more unique. Several teams call their fan base "xxx Nation" these days. The Red Sox have been using the term since 1986, and even Maple Leafs supporters are starting to be called Leafs Nation in the media.

slodrive
Playground Scrub

Post by slodrive » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 am

Paul Woods wrote:
B-17 wrote:They'll probably just change it to "Rider Nation", which is more unique anyways.
13th Man (which matches 12th Man used in various parts of U.S. football) is not unique but I have a hard time seeing how Rider Nation could be considered more unique. Several teams call their fan base "xxx Nation" these days. The Red Sox have been using the term since 1986, and even Maple Leafs supporters are starting to be called Leafs Nation in the media.
I thought the Riders went by 'Riderville' -- or is that just what they use for Regina?
The whole 'nation' thing is getting ridiculous. The Leafs really ruined it.

I thought it started with the Oakland Raiders -- and was kinda cool. Now its getting kinda cheesy.

However, if any CFL team deserves to use it, its the Riders. Having far reaching, and legions of, fans makes it actually an appropriate moniker. Although majorly unoriginal.

bruno_knows_best
Playground Hero

Post by bruno_knows_best » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 pm

BCRiderFan wrote:I don't think they should change it or will change it. We all know who the real 13th man is for the Riders, we sit in the stands, and we're loud.

Wow. Yes Rider fans can be loud (and some are obnoxious) and I read that your own player ( the 13thman) doesnt HEAR the play called .So LOL keep on making noise . It will never seem as loud or annoying to me anymore. It cost you a Grey Cup. :rotf:

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:23 am

What a load of BS. If Riders don't have the extra man on the field, and Duval misses the FG with Riders winning, the crowd noise would have been credited with throwing off his concentration. The Rider fans did nothing wrong, the error and blame was all on the sidelines.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 am

slodrive wrote:
Paul Woods wrote:
I thought the Riders went by 'Riderville' -- or is that just what they use for Regina?
The whole 'nation' thing is getting ridiculous. The Leafs really ruined it.

I thought it started with the Oakland Raiders -- and was kinda cool. Now its getting kinda cheesy.

However, if any CFL team deserves to use it, its the Riders. Having far reaching, and legions of, fans makes it actually an appropriate moniker. Although majorly unoriginal.
Originality in Regina?

Rider Nation
13thman
Roughriders

Regina always goes by the name of anything they can steal. :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

bruno_knows_best
Playground Hero

Post by bruno_knows_best » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:37 pm

B-17 wrote:What a load of BS. If Riders don't have the extra man on the field, and Duval misses the FG with Riders winning, the crowd noise would have been credited with throwing off his concentration. The Rider fans did nothing wrong, the error and blame was all on the sidelines.

Riders fans always blame thier team in defeat. See above quote where if they won it is the rider fans distracting Duval . But is it the sidelines fault? No chance that the 13th man was throwen off his concentration resulting in Duval kicking from 10 yards closer. The load of BS is that a veteran kicker like Duval would of been distracted by the noise . He doesnt have to hear the ball ,just see it and kick. Where as Riders coach even says 13th man on the field did not hear the play call. I say some can not see the GREEN forest because the GREEN trees are in the way.
:rotf:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:59 pm

slodrive wrote:I thought it started with the Oakland Raiders -- and was kinda cool. Now its getting kinda cheesy.
You are correct, the Raiders started it back in the 80's when they were still relevant.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Rammer wrote:
He was really decked out in his prediction for the future...

If that guy ever sobers up, his head is likely to implode into a black hole of irony :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.