Why the Green 'riders Lost?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Starter

Why the Green 'riders Lost?

Postby Become An Olive » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 am

First of all, the obvious point is that there were 13 men on the field. Now, WHY would you want to have a return man in the Field Goal Formation if you are up by 2 points? This makes no sense... they should all be in Field Goal Block mode because the 1-pointer does not make a difference.

However, the 2nd reason the team lost was not just because of the final play, it was that they let the Als get back into the game... the 'Riders played conservative and stopped doing what they were doing all game to win. They blew a big lead in 7 minutes and that is why they lost. Everyone will be looking at that last play, but the team allowed them to get within 2 points not just one person.

I was hoping the Green 'Riders would win it... Hopefully, they will get over it and do well next year... maybe one day we will see the Green 'Riders and Black 'Riders in a Grey Cup a la 1976 - The last Grey Cup won by Ottawa.

2014 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Re: Why the Green 'riders Lost?

Postby Rammer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Become An Olive wrote:First of all, the obvious point is that there were 13 men on the field. Now, WHY would you want to have a return man in the Field Goal Formation if you are up by 2 points? This makes no sense... they should all be in Field Goal Block mode because the 1-pointer does not make a difference.

However, the 2nd reason the team lost was not just because of the final play, it was that they let the Als get back into the game... the 'Riders played conservative and stopped doing what they were doing all game to win. They blew a big lead in 7 minutes and that is why they lost. Everyone will be looking at that last play, but the team allowed them to get within 2 points not just one person.

I was hoping the Green 'Riders would win it... Hopefully, they will get over it and do well next year... maybe one day we will see the Green 'Riders and Black 'Riders in a Grey Cup a la 1976 - The last Grey Cup won by Ottawa.

Many a teams fans wonder why a team changes its schemes with the lead, it is the nature of the coaches to make the other team earn their ground, but more often than not, it comes back to bite them in the end. Realistically Duval should have hit the 43 yarder, regardless of the extra player or not, so it does come down to not being able to prevent the Als gaining the necessary yards to take that attempt.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

All Star

Postby redwhite2005 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:13 pm

No the real reason is the fans. Their so called plan of making so much noise you can not hear. Sean Lucas could not get communication from the coaches to get off the field. Got to laugh but that is the case. The fans screwed it up and I am lovin it!

2014 MVP

Postby Inquiring Mind » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Why did the Riders lose?

Cause when they needed to move the ball, the Al's did... the Riders didn't
Cause when they needed a defencive stop, the Al's got it... the Riders didn't
Cause when they needed to put up points, the Al's did... the Riders didn't

Truth of the matter is, when it comes right down to it, the Riders didn't have it in crunch time, and the Al's did what championship teams do, they found a way to win
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby jaxon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Why did the Riders lose?

Cause when they needed to move the ball, the Al's did... the Riders didn't
Cause when they needed a defencive stop, the Al's got it... the Riders didn't
Cause when they needed to put up points, the Al's did... the Riders didn't

Truth of the matter is, when it comes right down to it, the Riders didn't have it in crunch time, and the Al's did what championship teams do, they found a way to win

Bang on!

Als won the 2nd half, especially the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Gutsy performance from AC.
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Rookie

Postby West Coast Als Fan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm with IM on this one, Too much emphasis has been placed on the game's last play and the big picture has been lost as a result. If the Als don't find a way, in the last 10 minutes of the game, to score 2 TD's, what they eventually did on their last drive becomes meaningless. If the Riders step up and make a play in just one of those instances, a big stop on defence or just one more first down on offence, the outcome is a moot point. Even with the late interception taken into account, the Riders could have won the game before Duval got on the field. Heck, you could go back to the game's first possession when Congi missed a field goal attempt. He makes it and the Als run out of time in the fourth quarter.

The last play was huge, but it only got the chance to be huge because the Riders missed scores of other opportunities to put the game out of reach. And as IM says, championship teams always find a way. That's what defines a championship team like the Als from whatever it is that the Riders are.
Dancing is a "contact sport". Football is a "collision sport".

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby hfxbomberfan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:22 pm

West Coast Als Fan wrote:I'm with IM on this one, Too much emphasis has been placed on the game's last play and the big picture has been lost as a result. If the Als don't find a way, in the last 10 minutes of the game, to score 2 TD's, what they eventually did on their last drive becomes meaningless. If the Riders step up and make a play in just one of those instances, a big stop on defence or just one more first down on offence, the outcome is a moot point. Even with the late interception taken into account, the Riders could have won the game before Duval got on the field. Heck, you could go back to the game's first possession when Congi missed a field goal attempt. He makes it and the Als run out of time in the fourth quarter.

The last play was huge, but it only got the chance to be huge because the Riders missed scores of other opportunities to put the game out of reach. And as IM says, championship teams always find a way. That's what defines a championship team like the Als from whatever it is that the Riders are.

And the Riders should have went for the touchdown with seconds to go before halftime. They didn't have anything to lose at that point. :hmm:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Superstar

Postby AlsFan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:11 pm

hfxbomberfan wrote:And the Riders should have went for the touchdown with seconds to go before halftime. They didn't have anything to lose at that point. :hmm:

Sure they did - three points and momentum. I thought it was the right call at the time.
Morality Code: Anything you wouldn't regret on your death bed is fair game. Live life!

Prospect

Postby mightypope » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Become An Olive wrote: Now, WHY would you want to have a return man in the Field Goal Formation if you are up by 2 points? This makes no sense... they should all be in Field Goal Block mode because the 1-pointer does not make a difference.

It's quite simple. You need a return man in the end zone in case the field goal is missed and the ball stays in the end zone and doesn't go out of bounds. It is then treated as a punt which only an onside player (the kicker and the holder) can retrieve without giving the required five yards.

All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Postby Spellchecker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:56 pm

mightypope wrote:
Become An Olive wrote: Now, WHY would you want to have a return man in the Field Goal Formation if you are up by 2 points? This makes no sense... they should all be in Field Goal Block mode because the 1-pointer does not make a difference.

It's quite simple. You need a return man in the end zone in case the field goal is missed and the ball stays in the end zone and doesn't go out of bounds. It is then treated as a punt which only an onside player (the kicker and the holder) can retrieve without giving the required five yards.

Correct answer.
My message has been posted successfully.

Champion

Postby 1argoholic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Karma is why they lost. All of the stupid and racial comments yelled all game long at Stamps fans and the Als.

I've never been so glad I didn't leave the stadium early. I was going to hit the C train to downtown after that last Rider td. It was just getting sickening listening to a Green Pack of MORONS. I've never come so close to wanting to kick some teeth down a guys throat. Somehow I held it together and it all paid off to see this mellon head cry. I have to say his two buddies where good guys. This is why after 25 Grey Cup trips it's not as much fun to go and see a game between two teams you can't stand.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

Playground Scrub

Postby Noah » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:59 pm

two other pieces of adversity come to mind that make the comeback even crazier. first the clear as day pass interference non-call on the 2 point conversion...which was a truly embarrassing non-call and the second was boulay falling on brattons fumble with 30 secs left

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 pm

1argoholic wrote:Karma is why they lost. All of the stupid and racial comments yelled all game long at Stamps fans and the Als.

I've never been so glad I didn't leave the stadium early. I was going to hit the C train to downtown after that last Rider td. It was just getting sickening listening to a Green Pack of MORONS. I've never come so close to wanting to kick some teeth down a guys throat. Somehow I held it together and it all paid off to see this mellon head cry. I have to say his two buddies where good guys. This is why after 25 Grey Cup trips it's not as much fun to go and see a game between two teams you can't stand.

I wonder how many Riders fans thought that they had that game in the bag after the Durant TD to make it 27-11. Things looked incredibly bleak for the Als at that point. As I have said elsewhere, this was THE best comeback in Grey Cup history.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Playground Hero

Postby bruno_knows_best » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 pm

RIDER FANS PLEASE READ
Hmmm. Lets see . Why the riders lost? Well lets just say that it had nothing to do with the football game or the Roughrider football team. Lets say it had to do with justice . Like a huge can of whip ass KARMA being delivered unto the Rider Nation Fans. All the fans because the good Rider fans do not undo the ill will the MANY obnoxious one create. Like many ,I feel bad for the team ,but not for the fans .It would be good for the league if the self assured best fans in the league look around and see how disliked the rabid ones among you are. My thoughts are your team derserved the win and should of won . You have a rising star for a quarterback, great receivers, awsome defence and good special teams. So I respect your teams talent. But if I want to sit In your stands and moderatly cheer for my team ,I should be able to do so with out getting beer throwen at me or physically threatened or verbally abused.If you want to sit in others stand you should do so without being a green royal pain in the arse. KARMA IS A BEOTCH. THINK ABOUT IT!

Superstar

Postby Kanga-Kucha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:12 am

I think there were more reasons than that...

1. The Riders gave up a single point to the Als on a punt when they could have had the Als redo the punt again for a third time, possibly preventing them from scoring a single point, and maybe the GC would have tied instead of the Als winning by one, giving them a chance to win in OT.

2. Another scenario, which is in hindsight as it was the right call for the time, but bad when one looks at the whole game. But instead of just taking the FG at the end of the 1st half, they could have gone for a TD, and if successful, they would have won by 4 points. A really big if, but very likely.

these and other mistakes cost them the game. 2 couldn't be helped as it was the right call at the time, but 1 could have been prevented.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football