Saskatchewan you have some serious MORON fans.

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Champion

Saskatchewan you have some serious MORON fans.

Postby 1argoholic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:46 pm

When did it become so bad? I can't tell you how many moronic racial comments I heard at the game alone. I just wonder how many of these fools have ever been east of Winnipeg? If you can rip off all of those tasteless French comments you've never been to Montreal that's a given. The city is GREAT and it's people are some of the coolest most down to earth people anywhere.

I remember being treated like gold in Regina in 85. Then in 97 in Edmonton, Argo fans where treated like *poop*. I will never cheer for a Rider team in the Grey Cup like I did in 89 ever again.
I'm not saying I've ever been a saint but most Rider fans have become more like inmates out of jail for the first time in 20 years.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

2014 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Re: Saskatchewan you have some serious MORON fans.

Postby Rammer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 pm

1argoholic wrote:When did it become so bad? I can't tell you how many moronic racial comments I heard at the game alone. I just wonder how many of these fools have ever been east of Winnipeg? If you can rip off all of those tasteless French comments you've never been to Montreal that's a given. The city is GREAT and it's people are some of the coolest most down to earth people anywhere.

I remember being treated like gold in Regina in 85. Then in 97 in Edmonton, Argo fans where treated like *poop*. I will never cheer for a Rider team in the Grey Cup like I did in 89 ever again.
I'm not saying I've ever been a saint but most Rider fans have become more like inmates out of jail for the first time in 20 years.

I think that you would have to eliminate the East of Winnipeg statement, as there is a large Francophone contingent in and around Winnipeg. Sad that in this day and age that people resort to racial differences that are the foundation of this Country. Remember though, you shouldn't make a blanket statement about the Rider Nation, as in every fanbase, there are the idiots that for some reason seem to be the loudest.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

Rookie

Postby West Coast Als Fan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:50 pm

I still remember seeing a Riders fan at the 2003 Grey Cup game at Taylor Field who held up a sign (scribbled with a Sharpie on the back of a pizza box, if you can believe it) which read "Alowets go back to France". Talk about impenetrable ignorance!

:smackhead:

And then people wonder why Alouettes fans, particularly those of francophone extraction, are loathe to travel to the prairies to watch their team compete for a championship.
Dancing is a "contact sport". Football is a "collision sport".

Playground Scrub

Postby Noah » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 pm

there were some real redneck goobers at the game. i had friends who flew from montreal who were harassed by dozens of idiot drunken rider fans. damon's duval's wife and kids left the game--the als kicker's WIFE left late in the 4th because they got doused with beer. it was in the gazette.
it's effing shameful. you were like bruin fans who urinated on hab fans in the 08 playoffs at the TD banknorth.
the idiots who behaved like this, and from what it sounds like, you numbered thousands, you truly should be ashamed of yourselves. karma

All Star

Postby redwhite2005 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Not to mention 4 rider nitwits dumped beer on Duval's wife and kids. Now you know how stamp fans feel when the rider play at McMahon stadium. Remember them fighting with the police well it occurred yet again in the last game with 34 arrests during the game and several after the game. Why is it that many of the good rider fans have to pay for the behavior of the knuckle draggng morons. I know several rider fans good natured and full of fun. Not drunk and trying to be the biggest dufus in Canada. The blame goes to the media and the marketing of the riders they pour fuel to this behavior and others have to put up with it. I for the record do not dislike the rider team I dislike the fools that call themselves Rider Nation.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby jaxon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 am

I went into McMahon planning to cheer for Saskatchewan. I didn't feel strongly about it, given the Bomber/Rider rivalry, but I am a Western Canadian. I sat next to a Lions fan, formerly of BC now living in Saskatchewan, who felt the same way. We were both in our seats about 1 hour before kickoff, so we chatted as real football fans do.

A really obnoxious Rider fan two rows behind us succeeded in lowering the intelligence level of the entire section, right from the National Anthem onward. He started with the low brow anti-French insults, which bother me even though I'm a white English speaking male, and then proceeded to insult the ethnicity / sexual orientation / language / provincial habitation / skin colour of virtually everyone on the Montreal roster. The profanity just didn't stop. I've been involved in football (player, coach, official) since the 70's. I've heard everything before, but this guy just didn't have any filter of any kind. This sort of thing doesn't normally bother me too much. When he started yelling profanities and sexual requests at AC every time Montreal had the ball, the guy next to me got upset, but kept it between us. (Rider guy continually suggested that AC should "suck his ****) We both agreed that AC is not only a great talent, but a human who deserves great respect. It's not like AC could hear this idiot anyway, we were 60+ rows up.

By the second quarter, he had annoyed us so much that we started cheering for Montreal, just to give it back to him a little. (We never directed anything at him, just decent cheering for good plays. I wasn't about to lower myself to his level) By the end of the game, we took great delight in the finish, simply because this guy was so awful all game long. We resisted the urge to throw anything in his face (verbally), but it sure was tempting.

My son. who was at the game with me, decided to cheer for Montreal going in. He asked me why I changed who I was cheering for, and I told him. I tried to explain that the majority of the Saskatchewan fans were good fans, supporting their team with energy and enthusiasm. I respect that. I don't know why this one guy was so irritating, but he sure lowered my opinion of Rider fans.

Even now, I logically know that most Rider fans are great fans. I met lots and lots of them, at this Grey Cup and at others. Many were gracious in defeat. I had a decent conversation with a few walking out of the stadium discussing the "penalty". We agreed that at least it is an indisputable call. At least it wasn't something subjective like a questionable holding or Pass Interference call that could go either way. Clearly 13 men is a penalty, and it can't be blamed on poor officiating, which could have lead to a riot. Again it was a decent football fan kind of discussion. Despite all of the good fans, and my logical reasoning that this was just one idiot, I have to admit that I'd have a hard time ever deciding to cheer green again, because the thought of this jerk winning anything will continue to haunt me for some time.

I apologize to all the good Rider fans for associating this guy with them, but he did represent everything that is wrong with some fans.
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

All Star

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am

1argoholic wrote:If you can rip off all of those tasteless French comments you've never been to Montreal that's a given. The city is GREAT and it's people are some of the coolest most down to earth people anywhere.

:whs:

Been there 3x to watch the Leos. Great experience each time. My favourite city on the circuit by far.

DH
Vancouver's like a bowl of cereal: what ain't fruits or nuts is flakes.

2014 MVP

Postby B-17 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:03 am

jaxon wrote:I went into McMahon planning to cheer for Saskatchewan. I didn't feel strongly about it, given the Bomber/Rider rivalry, but I am a Western Canadian. I sat next to a Lions fan, formerly of BC now living in Saskatchewan, who felt the same way. We were both in our seats about 1 hour before kickoff, so we chatted as real football fans do.

A really obnoxious Rider fan two rows behind us succeeded in lowering the intelligence level of the entire section, right from the National Anthem onward. He started with the low brow anti-French insults, which bother me even though I'm a white English speaking male, and then proceeded to insult the ethnicity / sexual orientation / language / provincial habitation / skin colour of virtually everyone on the Montreal roster. The profanity just didn't stop. I've been involved in football (player, coach, official) since the 70's. I've heard everything before, but this guy just didn't have any filter of any kind. This sort of thing doesn't normally bother me too much. When he started yelling profanities and sexual requests at AC every time Montreal had the ball, the guy next to me got upset, but kept it between us. (Rider guy continually suggested that AC should "suck his ****) We both agreed that AC is not only a great talent, but a human who deserves great respect. It's not like AC could hear this idiot anyway, we were 60+ rows up.

By the second quarter, he had annoyed us so much that we started cheering for Montreal, just to give it back to him a little. (We never directed anything at him, just decent cheering for good plays. I wasn't about to lower myself to his level) By the end of the game, we took great delight in the finish, simply because this guy was so awful all game long. We resisted the urge to throw anything in his face (verbally), but it sure was tempting.

My son. who was at the game with me, decided to cheer for Montreal going in. He asked me why I changed who I was cheering for, and I told him. I tried to explain that the majority of the Saskatchewan fans were good fans, supporting their team with energy and enthusiasm. I respect that. I don't know why this one guy was so irritating, but he sure lowered my opinion of Rider fans.

Even now, I logically know that most Rider fans are great fans. I met lots and lots of them, at this Grey Cup and at others. Many were gracious in defeat. I had a decent conversation with a few walking out of the stadium discussing the "penalty". We agreed that at least it is an indisputable call. At least it wasn't something subjective like a questionable holding or Pass Interference call that could go either way. Clearly 13 men is a penalty, and it can't be blamed on poor officiating, which could have lead to a riot. Again it was a decent football fan kind of discussion. Despite all of the good fans, and my logical reasoning that this was just one idiot, I have to admit that I'd have a hard time ever deciding to cheer green again, because the thought of this jerk winning anything will continue to haunt me for some time.

I apologize to all the good Rider fans for associating this guy with them, but he did represent everything that is wrong with some fans.

Don't most stadiums have policies in place that fans who get out of hand and are offensive to others can be asked by ushers to tone it down or even get ejected? especially if intoxicated? I know Winnipeg has put up a telephone number before games that fans can use to report unruly behaviour during the games. it's one thing to cheer for (or against) a team, it's another to have to listen to profanity for three hours.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Postby XGamer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 am

I was at the receiving end of "their" crap for 59 minutes & 55 seconds at McMahon during the Grey Cup.

I was not expecting anything less from the Rough"Whiner" fans...the way that I see it & lived it, there is always 1% that ruins it for 99%....and every city has those kind of fans !

I found out that if your sharp enough (and you don't back down) and already have a reply to their trash-talk most of 'em will just smile & shake your hand...like multiple Riders fans did with me....

A good ribbing is cool.

1 drunken idiot in front of me called a French bastard, a frog and all other monikers...I can take crap and dish it out pretty good...but that guy asked for forgiveness when I was done with him and I just shrug him off....

Even some Stamps fans jumped in trying to defuse the situation sometimes, but they saw I wasn't going down without a fight, heck even my girlfriend was telling me to shut up...

I was as classy to the moronic fans as they were to me at the end of the game, when I flipped them “an Alouettes” when my team won ! :)

I just payed them back for the 60 minutes of hell they’ve given me……should I have done it…maybe not….would I do it again if I was in the same situation…Yes !

Like I said, a good ribbin' is cool, I do it for opposing team fans when they come at McGill....and they know what I'm saying is not "harmfull" (and I don't try to injure them with cans, bottle, ect)...it's for all fun & games...

I respect opposing team fans since they spend their hard earn cash in my city to see their team. And for that I want to leave them with a good impression of the fans & city so they will come back....

Looks like 1% of the fans don't think like that ! :?
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Champion

Postby 1argoholic » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

The one fool beside my father inlaw kept elbowing him and talking crap. When my father inlaw told him in a nice manor to please stop with the elbows the guy got worse. I felt I was between in a rock and a hard place. My wife was beside me and knows how I would normally react to a fool like this. My father inlaw was directly behind me with my Bro inlaw beside him. At one point I was pissed and turned and gave this little crap a good mean look. Man my father inlaw doesn't even swear so it was hard enough for me watching this game near him. But when mellon head said hey old man you'll be dead before Calgary wins another cup my Bro in law reached behind his dad grabbed the guy and leaned over and said something into his ear. He held his composer well. He's a very inshape Calgary Firefighter. My wife tapped my knee and said she was very proud of me as steam was coming from my ears. Never ever have I wanted to beat someones head in like I did on Sunday. Plenty of Stamps fans who started out cheering for Sask started cheering for Montreal. As far as I'm concerned this cheering for the east or west because your team plays in that division is bs. I cheer for the team or fans I like better.
This fool kept yelling two things 13thman and Stamps fans I can here you crying. Well the finish had him balling. Hopefully moron learns his lesson.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby cunninglinguist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:15 pm

I cannot, nor will not defend that behavior. I'm not like that, but what can you say. I would agree, though, I've been to Montreal, it is a beautiful city.

As for the antics, perhaps it was Karma cost us the cup. In 2007 when I was in Toronto I was in a section of Bomber Fans who came in on a bus. Of the whole group there were 3 idiots, who would not stop pestering us, and after the loss the Bomber fan sitting next to me, who was a great guy, said he figured it was the idiot karma that cost them the game.

I won't apologize for the behavior of others, but please let me know that I and many other Rider fans don't condone that behavior.
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

2014 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Postby SectionW » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:I cannot, nor will not defend that behavior. I'm not like that, but what can you say. I would agree, though, I've been to Montreal, it is a beautiful city.

As for the antics, perhaps it was Karma cost us the cup. In 2007 when I was in Toronto I was in a section of Bomber Fans who came in on a bus. Of the whole group there were 3 idiots, who would not stop pestering us, and after the loss the Bomber fan sitting next to me, who was a great guy, said he figured it was the idiot karma that cost them the game.

I won't apologize for the behavior of others, but please let me know that I and many other Rider fans don't condone that behavior.

We know don't worry, i think everyone that have posted this here went out of their way to say so.
And every fan segment have those, unfortunately and they dirty the others unfortunately.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ArgoDave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm

XGamer wrote:I found out that if your sharp enough (and you don't back down) and already have a reply to their trash-talk most of 'em will just smile & shake your hand...like multiple Riders fans did with me....

A good ribbing is cool.

I was as classy to the moronic fans as they were to me at the end of the game, when I flipped them “an Alouettes” when my team won ! :)

I just payed them back for the 60 minutes of hell they’ve given me……should I have done it…maybe not….would I do it again if I was in the same situation…Yes !

Like I said, a good ribbin' is cool, I do it for opposing team fans when they come at McGill....and they know what I'm saying is not "harmfull" (and I don't try to injure them with cans, bottle, ect)...it's for all fun & games...

That's what I'd do too, it's the best way IMO. All in fun. If you back down it only gets worse.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ArgoDave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:23 pm

David wrote:
1argoholic wrote:If you can rip off all of those tasteless French comments you've never been to Montreal that's a given. The city is GREAT and it's people are some of the coolest most down to earth people anywhere.

:whs:

My favourite city on the circuit by far.

DH

Me too, been there a few times for different reasons, always enjoyed it, will be there again next time they get a GC for sure! :beer:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

2014 MVP

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:51 pm

And every fan segment have those

That is so true.

In Toronto "stalking" is more of an issue. Imagine oneself having a nice time at the Pub with Argo fans. Then you and your wife decide to take a leisurely stroll back to your hotel. You turn around and there they are. A bunch of Argo fans right behind you following you. Damned stalkers! :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football