CFL Draft 2010

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Superstar

CFL Draft 2010

Postby Rids » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 pm

Ok so who's going #1?

I'm thinking right now it's up to Shomari Williams (Queen's DE/LB) and Joe Eppele (Washington State LT). Things will get a little crazy between now and April/May but hey it's never too early to start the ball rolling.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Re: CFL Draft 2010

Postby Freak » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Enjoy the #2 pick, Rider fans... at least I assume y'all are taking it.

Superstar

Postby OVDB » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Do the Argos still hold the # 1 pick or did those clowns Rita & Mohns trade it away already? - they should probably go for an O-Lineman and i'd bet on either Eppelle or Bender (huge guard from Nevada); Williams was impressive for Queens, but won't get an honest shot to play DE in the CFL - they'll probably look at him as a linebacker "project" (won't get a real shot to play MLB either and not a OLB in the CFL game now) / special teamer; the best pure player/athlete might be Concordia MLB - Cory Greenwood - CIS D player of the year - could maybe go #1 based on his outstanding testing #s that CFL "scouts" are often so in love with; but then again, CFL teams have often ignored CIS President Trophy winners, and he might be viewed as a project/special teamer rather than a legit starting MLB candidate for a team in need there.

Rookie

Postby alawishus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Argos still have the first pick as we speak. But will they still have it come draft day? Apparently the big 5 offensive linemen Joe Epperle, Jon Bender, Danny Watkins, D'Michael Deane and Nasser Jamal, all are Juniors, and will go in the first two rounds. So the Argos will probably lose out on picking one of them as they will want a player who can come in and make their team right away, and they have traded their second round pick away. So they may go for Cory Greenwood or Shomari Williams.
Still wouldn't surprise me to see them trade the first overall to BC for Jarious Jackson.

Rookie

Postby alawishus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 pm

I checked out that big RB Messam who was suppose to be a sure fire first rounder last year. What ever happened he wasn't picked by anybody so I see he went back to Graceland University for his Senior year. He rushed for 1041 yards on 197 carriers with 10 TD's. 53 receiving yards on 10 receptions. At 6'04 240 with a fair bit of speed he could still be a project for some team. Graceland is division III and went 3 and 7 this year. Messam should be a free agent as he wasn't drafted last year.

Superstar

Postby Rids » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 pm

Joe Eppele has said that he won't be returning to Washington State next year. I believe that he'll graduate with his class and doesn't see a reason to go back just to play a final year of bad football. He'd still have 2 CIS years left if he wanted them. Now if Toronto picks him maybe that's incentive to go back to Washington State... :tease:

Little old Graceland has another Canadian on their roster in Nick Dorie. The defensive lineman from Edmonton will be up for the 2012 draft.

In my books I still have it as a toss up between Joe Eppele and Shomari Williams for the #1 spot. Waiting on the E-Camp to see who else shows up ready to go.

Rookie

Postby alawishus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Rids wrote:Joe Eppele has said that he won't be returning to Washington State next year. I believe that he'll graduate with his class and doesn't see a reason to go back just to play a final year of bad football. He'd still have 2 CIS years left if he wanted them. Now if Toronto picks him maybe that's incentive to go back to Washington State... :tease:

Little old Graceland has another Canadian on their roster in Nick Dorie. The defensive lineman from Edmonton will be up for the 2012 draft.

In my books I still have it as a toss up between Joe Eppele and Shomari Williams for the #1 spot. Waiting on the E-Camp to see who else shows up ready to go.

That's interesting about Eppele. He would be a welcome addition to the Argos. But may get some NFL interest as well.
According to an article on CFL.ca the Argos have a total of 12 picks in the up coming CFL draft.

Graceland U's roster also shows a Canadian TE from Brampton in his Soph year.

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby Freak » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm

As alluded to above, don't forget the Riders have an option to switch first round picks with the Bombers in either 2010 or 2011.

Superstar

Postby Rids » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:13 am

Freak wrote:As alluded to above, don't forget the Riders have an option to switch first round picks with the Bombers in either 2010 or 2011.

Guess it depends on how much the Riders think of Shomari Williams this year and if Kito Poblah gets non-import status next year. If Poblah gets status I could see a few teams making moves to try and get him or Scott Mitchell in the 2011 draft.

That said if Orlando Franklin declares for the NFL draft I could see the Saskies making the move to get his rights too.

Starter

Postby Paul Woods » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:47 am

alawishus wrote:So the Argos will probably lose out on picking one of them as they will want a player who can come in and make their team right away, and they have traded their second round pick away.

According to cfl.ca, Argos got their second pick back and have several other extra picks.

RD OA TEAM
1. 1. Toronto
2. 2 Winnipeg
3. 3. B.C.
4. 4. SSK via EDM
5. 5. HAM Forfeit*
6. 6. Calgary
7. 7. Saskatchewan
8. 8. Montreal
Round #2
1. 9. TOR via SSK via TOR
2. 10. EDM via WPG
3. 11. B.C.
4. 12. TOR via EDM
5. 13. Hamilton
6. 14. Calgary
7. 15. MTL via SSK
8. 16. Montreal
Round #3
1. 17. CGY via WPG
2. 18. Toronto
3. 19. B.C.
4. 20. Edmonton
5. 21. TOR via HAM
6. 22. Calgary
7. 23. EDM via TOR via SSK
8. 24. Montreal
Round #4
1. 25. Toronto
2. 26. Winnipeg
3. 27. B.C.
4. 28. TOR via EDM
5. 29. Hamilton
6. 30. WPG via CGY
7. 31. BC via SSK
8. 32. Montreal
Round #5
1. 33. Toronto
2. 34. SSK via WPG
3. 35. B.C.
4. 36. Edmonton
5. 37. Hamilton
6. 38. Calgary
7. 39. TOR via SSK
8. 40. Montreal
Round #6
1. 41. Toronto
2. 42. BC via WPG
3. 43. B.C.
4. 44. Edmonton
5. 45. TOR via HAM
6. 46. WPG via CGY
7. 47. CGY via WPG via SSK
8. 48. Montreal

*Hamilton forfeits its first round pick in the 2010 Canadian Draft because it selected Zac Carlson in the 2009 Supplementary Draft.

Superstar

Postby Rids » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I would like to see the CFL add a provisional round to the draft that grants bonus picks for teams staying under the SMS. Why not reward that with another Canadian in camp?

Maybe to stop the hiding of players on the 9 game IR give a provisional pick to teams that handle their injuries as well.

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Rids wrote:I would like to see the CFL add a provisional round to the draft that grants bonus picks for teams staying under the SMS. Why not reward that with another Canadian in camp?

Maybe to stop the hiding of players on the 9 game IR give a provisional pick to teams that handle their injuries as well.

Didn't the league have something like that at one time?
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Superstar

Postby Rids » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Not a provisional pick per se as the SMS is fairly new.

There has been the territorial picks in the past. Glad they scrapped that.

My ideal CFL draft would be a return to 8 rounds and add in a provisional pick between the 6th and 7th rounds as a bonus for losing players in their option years to the NFL with an optional provisional pick for teams that stayed under the SMS following the 8th round. Basically turns the draft into a 9 and a half round affair. Gives CFL teams 9 or 10 extra non-import players to bring to camp that don't count against the 75.

Superstar

Postby Sir Purrcival » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 pm

So am I reading this right? The Riders have 2 picks in the first and then nothing till the 5th?
Lest We Forget!

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:So am I reading this right? The Riders have 2 picks in the first and then nothing till the 5th?

It looks like they only have three picks in the entire draft. I expect that they will try to package one or two of their QBs for some draft picks.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football