Maybe I'm crazy but...

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Maybe I'm crazy but...

Postby Freak » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:54 pm

...something that crossed my mind while sitting at McMahon in the dying moments.

51 seconds left, Riders coming out of a timeout, up 2, punting from their own 15 (give or take 3 yards).

Here's my thought... do you think about giving up a safety?

Overtime is 50/50, albeit you'd have to not give up a 50+ yard drive to the Als in 30-35 seconds first.

Punting, barring the kick of his life, you're looking at the Als getting about 40 seconds from midfield. Is that 50/50 to win/lose the GC?

Sure, if you do it and lose in OT you'll get roasted in the media, but that doesn't change whether it's the right call.

Discuss.

And FWIW, I don't think you do. It's close, but too easy for Duval to miss a 35 yard field goal for you to let the Als back to 50/50. As uh, we saw.

All Star

Re: Maybe I'm crazy but...

Postby Hymie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:08 pm

No, I don't think you give up the safety. Play to win, not tie in the Championship game. You have got to have faith in your defence in this situation.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

Legend

Re: Maybe I'm crazy but...

Postby iso_55 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:20 am

I believe that you play to win & do not give up 2 points. Now if the punter was 10 yards deep in his end zone, I'd consider it as a coach. At osme point, a coach has to put his faith in his defense. And I think that most defensive players would have been angry to give up 2 points before they got on the field.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Return to Canadian Professional Football