Bring CFL football back to Ottawa! Support Lansdowne Live!

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Bring CFL football back to Ottawa! Support Lansdowne Liv

Post by Solar Max » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 am

Dave in Korea wrote:
Some other decent names have been bandied about. One connected to the logging/river history of the region would be cool to me.
The "Rough Riders" were the men who rode the log booms down the Ottawa, Gatineau and Rideau rivers in the 19th and 20th centuries. There can be no more connected name than that.

Ottawa fans are unanimous on this issue; and if the heritage of the name is lost, (especially after Ottawa fans voted overwhelming online to name the Renegades "Rough Riders", but the Watters group didn't care about that) they will lose a significant part of the fanbase right off the bat.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:36 am

Solar Max wrote:
Dave in Korea wrote:
Some other decent names have been bandied about. One connected to the logging/river history of the region would be cool to me.
The "Rough Riders" were the men who rode the log booms down the Ottawa, Gatineau and Rideau rivers in the 19th and 20th centuries. There can be no more connected name than that.

Ottawa fans are unanimous on this issue; and if the heritage of the name is lost, (especially after Ottawa fans voted overwhelming online to name the Renegades "Rough Riders", but the Watters group didn't care about that) they will lose a significant part of the fanbase right off the bat.
I've never seen a source that calls the log riders Rough Riders (Raftsmen or Shanty Men, yes. Rough Riders, no). I believe that connection was made relatively recently because it seemed to make more sense than having Ottawa named after the mounted regiments, which were centred in Ottawa when the football team started. Those same regiments who would have been horse-breaking Rough Riders, which also explains their military colour scheme and the old wild horse logo. However, if you have seen a source on Ottawa's logging history calling the log rollers "Rough Riders" I'd love to see it.

A nickname with a real historical connection to logging would be cool to me, though perhaps a more modern name would suit today's fanbase?

It was a shame how the Watters group handled their "name the team" sham of a vote . . . but let's not overstate the matter, Ottawa fans are not "unanimous" on the issue. The team will probably lose some fans if they're not called Rough Riders. Conversely, they'd probably lose some fans if they are called the Rough Riders. That's just life. The new ownership will just have to do their best to attract as many fans as they can.
Last edited by Dave in Korea on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dream out loud.

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:08 am

Ottawa CFLer's

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Cool wrote:Ottawa CFLer's
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sounds like Baltimore all over again ! :rotf: :yahoo: :rotf: :rotf: :yahoo: :rotf: :rotf:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

gadesfan
All Star

Post by gadesfan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 am

hfxbomberfan wrote:
Cool wrote:Ottawa CFLer's
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sounds like Baltimore all over again ! :rotf: :yahoo: :rotf: :rotf: :yahoo: :rotf: :rotf:

If we can win the Grey Cup in year 2, then that sounds fine to me. As long as they don't move to Montreal afterwards.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Well Dave in Korea, I guess I may have spent more time in my home town than you may have. Because Rough Riders is what they were called in the circles I traveled in.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:30 am

Solar Max wrote:Well Dave in Korea, I guess I may have spent more time in my home town than you may have. Because Rough Riders is what they were called in the circles I traveled in.
I've no doubt about that. And in fact, the number of days I've spent in Ottawa can be counted on a person's fingers (unfortunately, it's a lovely city).

What I'm interested in, however, is the origin of the name Rough Riders, which does not seem to be related to the log runners, even if people have associated it with them for the past 50 years or so. None of the sources on Ottawa Valley logging that I've read from the late 19th and early 20th centuries mentions Rough Riders at all.
Dream out loud.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Well Dave, I reserve the right for you to be incorrect in this case.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Solar Max wrote:Well Dave, I reserve the right for you to be incorrect in this case.
Heh, I may well be incorrect, but I haven't seen any historical evidence to suggest log runners were called rough riders. If it's out there, I'd love to see it. Any suggestions?

I actually quite like the idea of rough riders referring to log riders, but if that's not historically accurate, I think people should at least know the true origins of the team name.
Dream out loud.

alawishus
Rookie

Post by alawishus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 am

The Ottawa Football Club was organized on Wednesday, September 20, 1876 where they won the first game they played on September 23 against the Aylmer Club at Jacques-Cartier Square. The team's colours were cerise, grey, and navy blue. The club adopted the name Ottawa Rough Riders on Friday, September 9, 1898 as well as changing the team colours to red and black. Although in later years the name was said to derive from logging, the team based its colours on Teddy Roosevelt's regiment in the Spanish-American War, which, with the date of the renaming, suggests that the name also comes from the war. The team did change its nickname to Ottawa Senators from 1925 to 1931.[1]

Apparently no one knows for sure. The Log Riders down the Ottawa river or Teddy Roosevelt's regiment in the Spanish-American War. Maybe a bit of both.

PaulV
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by PaulV » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Just announced on the CBC, the judge has sided with the City of Ottawa on the court challenge brought against Lansdowne Live. :beauty:

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Best news I've heard all day!! :yahoo:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:38 pm

PaulV wrote:Just announced on the CBC, the judge has sided with the City of Ottawa on the court challenge brought against Lansdowne Live. :beauty:
Any link?

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:53 am

Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm

It was nice to see these NIMBYS get defeated, but now it's time for the Appeal appeal.

Or is this the third one. These things are so confusing, except if you happen to be a Q Tip living in the Glebe.