CFL on US TV and Radio

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

cromartie
Superstar

CFL on US TV and Radio

Post by cromartie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:22 pm

First, the good news. The CFL will be on TV in the US weekly on a network that can actually be seen without having to wrap tinfoil around an antenna and sticking it out the window, with a weekly game on the NFL Network.

http://www.cfl.ca/page/u-s-broadcast-webcast

Yes, a mere seven years after the CFL/NFL agreement contained a non-binding clause that allowed the NFL to broadcast CFL games, the NFL Network is actually bothering to air a weekly game. Which, on the whole, is pretty nice.

However, something near and dear to my heart is completely missing from the schedule. I'll let you click the link and guess what that is.

Also, the TSN feed of some games will be broadcast on ESPN3 if your online provider is Verizon or another authorized carrier.

In other news, three years after adding the CFL to it's schedule, Sirius is finally doing what it should have done in the first place, and that is broadcasting the entire slate of CFL games instead of just a weekly game.

http://www.sirius.ca/en/promotions/2010cfl.aspx

Now, for us Yanks, here's where it gets complicated. If memory serves, while Sirius and XM are one company in the US, they are not one company in Canada. So, you have to have a Sirius receiver to get the games, having an XM receiver, even if you have the Best of Sirius package, does you no good (which screws me). The US Sirius app for the iPhone/Droid/Blackberry doesn't get Channels 97 and 98, so that doesn't work either. It apparently has to be a Sirius receiver, and a new enough receiver to get the Canadian channels (purchased after the winter of 2005, I think).

I have come here not to trash the league (for a change) because I think the best chance for them to hit a target audience of football junkies is the NFL Network, and this is a step up from being b roll fodder on the Comcast Sports Networks and Altitudes of the world, though the omission of something from that schedule is inexcusable on the part of the league, frankly. And the Sirius schedule now in place is the package they should have had in the first place.

So I'll take these two deals over where we've been in previous years. It's an improvement.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Re: CFL on US TV and Radio

Post by SectionW » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Yeah i wonderred but i am not surprised, no playoffs. Oh well, leagues moves on US broadcast has been perplexing to say the least. Streaming blocked when the rights holder paid nothing for the rights, just weird.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm

I am pretty sure that Sirius carried all of the games last year too.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:46 am

No Lions games at all??? Ugh. Sure the increased exposure on the NFL Network is great but only 14 games on TV this year sucks compared to years past. Glad i have ESPN3. Now ive got to figure out how to hook my laptop to my new 46" LCD so i can watch it on the big screen. Any suggestions?

cromartie
Superstar

Post by cromartie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 am

Lionsfan73 wrote:No Lions games at all??? Ugh. Sure the increased exposure on the NFL Network is great but only 14 games on TV this year sucks compared to years past. Glad i have ESPN3. Now ive got to figure out how to hook my laptop to my new 46" LCD so i can watch it on the big screen. Any suggestions?
I'm happy to have an actual game of the week arrangement with a targeted audience network such as the NFL Network. So I think this arrangement, provided it includes the playoffs and Grey Cup, which aren't on the schedule at this point. I'm even happier that it's on a football centric network than I would be if it were on Versus, honestly.

But not one Lions game? Really? a 10 p.m. start is a problem, but three 9 p.m. Eastern starts aren't? The Lions @ Montreal game on 9/3 doesn't fit into a schedule during Labor Day weekend (pre NFL season start and post Training Camp)? Seriously?

As for your question, are you looking to show a home computer, or a laptop?

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:No Lions games at all??? Ugh. Sure the increased exposure on the NFL Network is great but only 14 games on TV this year sucks compared to years past. Glad i have ESPN3. Now ive got to figure out how to hook my laptop to my new 46" LCD so i can watch it on the big screen. Any suggestions?
Check your LCD for a 15 pin connection (standard computer monitor). If you have that then it's a simple cable from laptop to TV which is what I do most of the time. Was able to stream a game from the laptop onto the TV and also a second (sometimes third) game onto the laptop screen. The only thing to remember (and you will after the first time it happens) is to extend the time before your screen saver comes on...ugh usually right as the pass is released the screen would go blank.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm

cromartie wrote:
I'm happy to have an actual game of the week arrangement with a targeted audience network such as the NFL Network. So I think this arrangement, provided it includes the playoffs and Grey Cup, which aren't on the schedule at this point. I'm even happier that it's on a football centric network than I would be if it were on Versus, honestly.

But not one Lions game? Really? a 10 p.m. start is a problem, but three 9 p.m. Eastern starts aren't? The Lions @ Montreal game on 9/3 doesn't fit into a schedule during Labor Day weekend (pre NFL season start and post Training Camp)? Seriously?

A Laptop.

orangegloves
Playground Hero
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by orangegloves » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:
cromartie wrote:

A Laptop.

There are 3 different ways you can hook your laptop to your LCD TV.

1. HDMI Cable, some newer laptops come with HDMI outputs. This can be expensive however because HDMI cables are expensive.

2. S-Video, once again most new laptops have what is called an S-Video cable, simple plug and play. Sound will not transfer to the TV though, so you may need to figure out something for sound.

3. The 15 pin, output the looks like a rectangle, its another cheaper solution and can be found at any best buy or radio shack.

If you have any other questions, let me know I had to do this last season! I

Ozarkruffrider
Prospect
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Ozarkruffrider » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:02 am

Just noticed this topic. Being from the Ozarks, I'm glad I finally get to see some football. HUGE Sirius football listener and caller to 124 (I'm called The Commish). Now I don't know if the US and Canadian Sirius channels are the same. But I thoroughly enjoyed the TiCats/Stamps game with a big surprise for me in that there was no clock management at the end of the game. But I asked about that elsewhere.

Btw, I'm used to no Lions on TV---Detroit Lions fan here. :rotf:
Are you Sirius about football? The Commish on 124.