Ref CFL on US TV....

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Loyal Lou
All Star

Ref CFL on US TV....

Post by Loyal Lou » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi everyone, well it's been a while since I have been on line, but I do keep in contact with many old friends in Canada by facebook and email. My lift has changed a little, I met this wonderful women, and weboth moved to Myrtle Beach in SC. I had Chip and Elaine call me tonight while they had 10 people there watching the Al's and Rider game, with everyone saying hi to me over the phone. The Al's -Rider game must have bee a very exciting game to watch, Chip told me the score was 48-48....WOW!!! And guess what? I could get it, my cable company, Time Warner don't carry the NFL Network, but I'm going into one of their offices tomorrow to ask about thew chance of getting it added to my bill, if that's possible!

YES I Still Miss The CFL, I wil always love the CFL untill the day I die!!! Lou
Lou & Pat At The Palace Theater 6-28-2010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loyal Lou, CFL fan from Baltimore,MD.

iso_55
Legend

Re: Ref CFL on US TV....

Post by iso_55 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 am

Great picture Lou!! Glad things are going so well for you personally. :wink: Hey, instead of cable, why not look into satellite TV.They'll have the NFL Network for sure.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am

Hey Lou ... long time no post
Good to hear your doing well and Myrtle Beach .. wow what a beautiful spot. I have been there a couple times including when Hurricane Hugo hit.

take care
derek
I own The Grey Cup! .com

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Great to hear from you Lou, and glad to hear Chip still shows the games. :beer: :beer:
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

glenvb
Champion
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by glenvb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm in the USA right now, and I've been watching the games on ESPN3.com. Don't know if you have access to it, but the picture quality's been fabulous for a net feed. So far they've shown all three games.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS!

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 pm

glenvb wrote:I'm in the USA right now, and I've been watching the games on ESPN3.com. Don't know if you have access to it, but the picture quality's been fabulous for a net feed. So far they've shown all three games.
I think that ESPN3.com is showing all of the CFL games while the NFL Network will be showing 14 in all which is pretty much one per week except for the month of August when they will be broadcasting only NFL preseason games.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Ozarkruffrider
Prospect
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Ozarkruffrider » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:39 am

Well, it's been a couple of years for me. Been busy with my new site for Sirius fans. But I noticed we have football in July!! Watched my first CFL game on NFL network on Directv down here in the Ozarks. Lot of pluses and a lot of minuses. Mostly pluses! Like the speed and the fastpaced attack . Few minuses: clock stopped on every play in the last of the game, some questionable calls---but maybe that's the difference in rules, not near as physical.

Some questions:
Are the CFL pads smaller?
No 2min warning?
Notice the Defensive line is a yard off the ball, that a rule?
Refs flags yellow then red?
And the clock stops on every play all the time or just in the last of the 4th qtr?
One more, never had explained to me the 1 point rule.
It's a great combination of Arena & NFL football. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the games, and it won't interfere with the NFL games either.

:pass:
Are you Sirius about football? The Commish on 124.

argofan87
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argofan87 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 am

Are the CFL pads smaller?
Dunno.
No 2min warning?
3 minute warning instead.
Notice the Defensive line is a yard off the ball, that a rule?
Yeah.
And the clock stops on every play all the time or just in the last of the 4th qtr?
Last 3 minutes of the half I think.
One more, never had explained to me the 1 point rule.
You might have noticed a player standing in the endzone when a team is kicking the field goal. If the field goal is missed then that player can field the ball and either run it out of the endzone (sometimes for touchdown) or kneel in the endzone thus surrendering 1 point. If a punt or kickoff also ends up in the endzone and the returner kneels or is tackled in the endzone than it is also 1 point.
Ummagumma

Ozarkruffrider
Prospect

Post by Ozarkruffrider » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:14 am

THANX!!

I also figured out that the clock stops during the warning due to the 3-down rule instead of 4downs. Just no downs to waste in spiking the ball to stop the clock.

This game must be :devil: on CB's with all that open field and WR's out for a pass!

Ozarkruffrider
Prospect

Post by Ozarkruffrider » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok, just watched the Riders/Eskimo's game. Can't for the life of me figure out why they concede a Safety :0 . And at the end of the game: "Eskimos can't stop the clock". ???? I thought it stopped after every play in the 3min warning?

Other than that, really good game. The Rider DLine look was unusual to me. Bunched up pad-to-pad and then spread out to rush was different, then the one with the DE's on a 9technique and the 2 DT's pad-to-pad lined up on the 1technique with the MLB right behind them. Must be due to the rule of setting back a yard off the ball? :pass:

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Ozarkruffrider wrote:Ok, just watched the Riders/Eskimo's game. Can't for the life of me figure out why they concede a Safety :0 . And at the end of the game: "Eskimos can't stop the clock". ???? I thought it stopped after every play in the 3min warning?

Other than that, really good game. The Rider DLine look was unusual to me. Bunched up pad-to-pad and then spread out to rush was different, then the one with the DE's on a 9technique and the 2 DT's pad-to-pad lined up on the 1technique with the MLB right behind them. Must be due to the rule of setting back a yard off the ball? :pass:
Conceded the safety because of the threat of a great punt return. Better to give up two points instead of 3 or possibly 7. In the final 3 minutes of the half the clock only stops if you get out of bounds. Then it is restarted after the official whistles time in. Which is why in the final 3 minutes of a half with thr clock stoppage there is time to run more plays. The teams also have 1 timeout per half they can use (I think)...
Guys who are up on the rules, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Oh yeah, we also have a 20 second clock as well.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:21 pm

In the last 3 minutes of a half, the clock stops after every play. If the play ended with an out of bounds, incomplete pass, penalty or change of possession, then the clock will not start until the next snap. If a ball carrier or receiver is stopped in bounds, they place the ball and the ref will then blow in play to start the clock. So if a team is in the hurry up, they can get the next snap off and only lose 3 or 4 seconds between plays.

The rest of the game, the clock stops only on out of bounds incomplete pass, or change of possession until the ref spots the ball and whistles in play.

1 timeout per half is correct.

As for the safeties, when a team is punting from it's own endzone, it will almost give the other team FG range immediately, due to the fact that the goalposts are on the goal line in Canadian football and not 10 yards deep. So scrimmaging from the 45 would be a 52 yard attempt as opposed to a 62 in American football. Furthermore, you will see this happen a lot more often in Saskatchewan and Winnipeg where there is often a very strong wind and punting into the wind is very difficult.

Hope this helps?
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Ozarkruffrider
Prospect

Post by Ozarkruffrider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:29 pm

:D Thx!