Moderator: Referees

argonaut11xx
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: What Has Happened To This Place?

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:17 am

Facebook....ARRGGGGGHHHH....

i like this place so much better....

all facebook does is "re-connect' you with all those people from high school who you didnt want to hang out with...but for some reason after a few years, those same people get dillusional, and think you were "buddies" back then...

if i want to hang with my favorite pal's..i grab a cold beer...head down to Skydome...and chum around with the thousands of face painters....
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 am

argonaut11xx wrote:OK...what are "the Mod's"...are they like the Mod Squad?..Link and his buddies from the movies?

I do agree that it was awesome when you'd make a post...and people responded immediately...

My first post was "Damon Allen Sucks"...(yes he did, and still does)

It was wild, all kinds of lunatics actually thought he was a decent quarterback...WOW...

But honestly, its more fun when the debates get abit heated, when the "westerners" get offended that TORONTO is the center of the universe....and watching pussy cat fans get riled up because Hamilton is the "Armpit" of Canada...

hahahaha....
Mods (moderators) are the ones who keep order on a website like this. I don't think any of them look like Link, though... Best "fro" I ever saw! :wink:
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

argonaut11xx
Starter

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Monderators eh??...???...

I hate moderators.....(haha)

Link had a great `Fro`....but not as awesome as former montreal alouette..`Wonderful Monds`

at least we know who stole the fun out of this place....wanna bet they are from the ..LEFT COAST......
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:48 am

yes the mods took it way too serious and scared people away too. That Cam from Winniopeg was nice face to face but a hitler as a mod, I dont know who would take that childish behaviour. Also Argodave didnt help arguing with everyone.
I guess its a fine line eh!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Ping, it is hard to be fair & balanced trying to treat people the same. I get that. But it's easy to be a bully from a position of power & then use that power to pick on people, too. Some mods here were bullies, still are bullies & should have been replaced long ago but weren't & continued with their reign of error.
To me, people can say the world has changed due to technology & social networking like facebook & twitter. Then postulate that the reason this place isn't as active as it used to be is because of technological changes. I'll buy that from members who have just joined or only have been members for a short while. But this place has a few thousand members, the majority who have been around a long time (like years) & used to be active here. Something made them stop posting en masse. Like ping said & I agree, the mods took things way too seriously here & scared people off.
My belief is that mods make or break a site. I have seen it on other sites in the 12 years I have been around. And the actions of a few mods going unchecked over a number of years have broken this place. Mods perform an important function keeping order when things get out of hand. Otherwise, they should be invisible. Over here, some of them weren't. They weren't just visible. They were bigger than life & they let everybody know it, too.
To the mods who really try/tried to make a difference here & are/were fair & balanced, I salute you. To the others who are/were just in this for themselves & in turn, wrecked this place, I hope you are happy.
The members here have spoken loudly by either leaving or becoming quiet.

PigSkin_53
Rookie

Post by PigSkin_53 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:07 pm

iso_55 wrote:This place used to be the number one CFL site for posting news & having (sometimes heated) discussions. Now, it looks like it has ground to a halt. I've come on here on Game Days to check out the discussion & there's wasn't even any threads about games being played that day. Winnipeg's finally getting a new stadium... Kavis Reed is the Esks new head coach. AC surgery was a success. No discussion, nothing.
Looks like some of the the mods finally got their way here. They didn't like people posting & wrongly accusing people of ruunning their numbers up. They ran off some & excluded others. If you weren't part of the "In Crowd" you were a mod target. Now it looks like nobody posts... Too bad as this place used to rock. I'm shocked to see what has become of 13thman. But upon further reflection, I am not surprised.

iso_55...a cool happening forum is only as good as the people who frequent it, and are willing open up the minds and accept others opinions and not make the place exclusive to some and not others, depending on their tolerance for criticism of their own blind support of their biases...(mods inclusive).
Champions are never really beaten...

They come from behind to illustrate their dominion!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:28 pm

PigSkin_53 wrote:
iso_55 wrote:This place used to be the number one CFL site for posting news & having (sometimes heated) discussions. Now, it looks like it has ground to a halt. I've come on here on Game Days to check out the discussion & there's wasn't even any threads about games being played that day. Winnipeg's finally getting a new stadium... Kavis Reed is the Esks new head coach. AC surgery was a success. No discussion, nothing.
Looks like some of the the mods finally got their way here. They didn't like people posting & wrongly accusing people of ruunning their numbers up. They ran off some & excluded others. If you weren't part of the "In Crowd" you were a mod target. Now it looks like nobody posts... Too bad as this place used to rock. I'm shocked to see what has become of 13thman. But upon further reflection, I am not surprised.

iso_55...a cool happening forum is only as good as the people who frequent it, and are willing open up the minds and accept others opinions and not make the place exclusive to some and not others, depending on their tolerance for criticism of their own blind support of their biases...(mods inclusive).
I think all sites start out that way with good intentions but evolve into something else.

wfm
Superstar

Post by wfm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 am

For myself, it's a lack of variety. Although I agree with ISO to some degree as I was once threatened by a rogue mod via multiple emails, and I've been here years longer than indicated by the mods. I was accidentally eliminated as a member, finally re-instated but with a new start date which nobody will fix.

But the reason I don't post often anymore, or stop by often is the lack of variety of subjects. Once there were regular threads dealing with league-wide issues like tv contracts, player contracts, what could be done about the sometimes terrible reffing problems (not "he's a bum" but what can be done to improve things) stadium issues both new stadiums and improvement suggestions for current ones.

That does not seem to happen any longer. Almost every thread is related to a specific team or player. Those that do occasionally try to broaden the discussion are almost always immediately hijacked by those who turn every thread, every question, every suggestion, every casual thought into a defense of "my team" or an attack on "your team" no matter how little the original question or thought had to do with individual franchises.

Right now, today, this is especially true of a site called cflzone, but it has been true here in the past and probably will again. Look at the threads here at 13th right now. There is very little discussion of league wide issues, and has not been for some time. As a US fan, those are much more interesting to me as I'm a fan of the league, not of specific teams.

There was a board, about 12 years ago called something like cfl.ca which was destroyed by a single moron with multiple personalities. Totalcfl died when a total idiot took it over. This one, which was the best of them all, never recovered from the attack on the Eskimoes 5 minutes after the Grey Cup was over.

A sad story.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 am

wfm wrote:For myself, it's a lack of variety. Although I agree with ISO to some degree as I was once threatened by a rogue mod via multiple emails, and I've been here years longer than indicated by the mods. I was accidentally eliminated as a member, finally re-instated but with a new start date which nobody will fix.

But the reason I don't post often anymore, or stop by often is the lack of variety of subjects. Once there were regular threads dealing with league-wide issues like tv contracts, player contracts, what could be done about the sometimes terrible reffing problems (not "he's a bum" but what can be done to improve things) stadium issues both new stadiums and improvement suggestions for current ones.

That does not seem to happen any longer. Almost every thread is related to a specific team or player. Those that do occasionally try to broaden the discussion are almost always immediately hijacked by those who turn every thread, every question, every suggestion, every casual thought into a defense of "my team" or an attack on "your team" no matter how little the original question or thought had to do with individual franchises.

Right now, today, this is especially true of a site called cflzone, but it has been true here in the past and probably will again. Look at the threads here at 13th right now. There is very little discussion of league wide issues, and has not been for some time. As a US fan, those are much more interesting to me as I'm a fan of the league, not of specific teams.

There was a board, about 12 years ago called something like cfl.ca which was destroyed by a single moron with multiple personalities. Totalcfl died when a total idiot took it over. This one, which was the best of them all, never recovered from the attack on the Eskimoes 5 minutes after the Grey Cup was over.

A sad story.
Yep. Remember all that. The guy you refer to also killed the original Stamps fan site in 2001 when he started to issue physical threats to members as well as a couple of other sites as well was a guy from Vancouver named Sandy. Just a total nut job. Total CFL was an original site frequented by many members but when Myk took over at Total was the same time that this place became popular.
But what you say about the lack of topics supports my argument. With less people posting that means that there are fewer topics here to discuss. Unless D makes changes this place will continue to decline in popularity.

wfm
Superstar

Post by wfm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:21 pm

iso_55 wrote:
wfm wrote:For myself, it's a lack of variety. Although I agree with ISO to some degree as I was once threatened by a rogue mod via multiple emails, and I've been here years longer than indicated by the mods. I was accidentally eliminated as a member, finally re-instated but with a new start date which nobody will fix.

A sad story.
Yep. Remember all that. The guy you refer to also killed the original Stamps fan site in 2001 when he started to issue physical threats to members as well as a couple of other sites as well was a guy from Vancouver named Sandy. Just a total nut job. Total CFL was an original site frequented by many members but when Myk took over at Total was the same time that this place became popular.
But what you say about the lack of topics supports my argument. With less people posting that means that there are fewer topics here to discuss. Unless D makes changes this place will continue to decline in popularity.
It's one of those circular problems. With fewer broader interest topics there are fewer responses. Fewer responses mean reduced league wide (or even just division wide) subjects and more team specific threads. Which means fewer responses..... and so it goes.

If only there were a way to post thoughts on individual teams without bringing out the worst in the "defend against any possible slight, attack anyone who disagres" posters. Anything like that usually gets three good posts followed by five pages of vituperation. And I find myself staying away for another week or two before dropping by again to see if a useful, informative thread has shown up. Sitting in a bar with a group of fellow CFL'ers, those unable to carry on a conversation without name calling over manufactured insults would be thrown out on their ears before halftime........... can't do that on a board. A pity.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 pm

It's easy to throw insults & invectives at people you don't even know in real life sitting at a keyboard typing away & looking at a computer screen. I should know as I've been on both ends; giving & receiving. That would never happen in real life just on places like this.

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 am

It's just us "old guys" and diehards still lingering here. :beer: :cowboy:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 am

argonaut11xx wrote:and watching pussy cat fans get riled up because Hamilton is the "Armpit" of Canada...

hahahaha....

That's not true. Even an armpit gets deodorant once in a while.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

SectionW
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Right in front of the Beerlin Wall, next to the Kaiser

Post by SectionW » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Things come and go, it may come back to life again, i just find forums on the wane. Twitter consumed some of that direct exchange.
May the Cahoon be with you.
Montreal Alouettes Fan Site

VICIOUSCIRCLE
Rookie
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by VICIOUSCIRCLE » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 am

I will admit I have become a lurker rather than a poster due to the lack of vision and open mindedness that people have here.
You better bite your bottmom lip I'm coming in dry.

:beer:

:D