What Has Happened To This Place?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: What Has Happened To This Place?

Post by Solar Max » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:41 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:Guess that depends on whether you were Norman or not.
You can call me Norm for short.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 am

Can I call you "short Norm"? :wink:
Lest We Forget!

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Remember me?

First of all, how many mods would let a thread of criticisms stand for over six months? I think the admins deserve credit for letting this stand. Second, I think, for the most part, posters to this thread are trying to be constructive with their opinions, without getting personal (e.g. referring to specific mods or posters by name). Like most complex issues, I think there is a thread of truth in everything that was said, from different perspectives.

Me? Two things. First, killer workload. Just don't have the time to weigh in as much as I used to, but I think I'll try to use my break time a little more for this. The site was worth it.

The second? It's a pet peeve of mine. Every now and then, I would have liked it if some of the people I was debating with would at least once, even a little, showed a willingness to see my point, to adjust their view even a little. Because I was willing to do that myself. When someone introduced a good perspective, or a logical point, or information I didn't have, I was willing to bend. But too often I would just run into people who would rather entrench on a position, rather than at least try to see it from my perspective. Lots of people would talk, few would listen. So I would start to think "what's the point?" If no one wanted to hear what I had to say, I wouldn't waste time saying it. Would you want to hang out with people who only wanted to tell you their opinion, and never tried, even once, to see it your way, even a little? I think this is what drives people to their "home team" sites, but frankly, I find the lack of perspective there (my team is always right, other teams always suck) to be just as tiresome.

I'll try to contribute more as the season approaches, but I'll be a lot more selective about what I post, when I respond, and who I respond to. I miss the good discussions, the jokes, the depth of knowledge I gained from hanging out here about the other teams, interpetation of the rules, strategies, big game moments etc. It makes watching the games more fun, too.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

argonaut11xx
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argonaut11xx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm

...HMMMM....

B-17...eh?...

An american bomber...maybe if your name was "Avro Lancaster"...(hehe)

us folks here in the Canadian Football League forum...would take better to guy with....um......well you get my drift....

hahahaha...this place is still awesome...just take it for what it is....
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

argonaut11xx wrote:...HMMMM....

B-17...eh?...

An american bomber...maybe if your name was "Avro Lancaster"...(hehe)

us folks here in the Canadian Football League forum...would take better to guy with....um......well you get my drift....

hahahaha...this place is still awesome...just take it for what it is....

Really, its not the same and we have to start thinking of ways to bringing people back!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

BB_Blitz
Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by BB_Blitz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:39 am

I usually check this board 4 or 5 times a year to see if there are any interesting threads happening. Used to be fun place to talk football and stir the pot a bit but thanks to a few mods carrying big sticks :thdn: everything got too serious. IMO... Best mods were Rammer, Gary and Solar :thup: . Who are the mods now anyway ?? Is Rammer still around?

Larz 7... yours truly created the Survivor Pools. :cowboy:

ArgoDave.... please make a new sig... lol. :cool:

Cheers to all my old buddies who are still here... :beer:
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:02 am

Some of us are still here, Blitz.

argofan87
Superstar

Post by argofan87 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 am

As Ping pointed out many moons ago when Garry died a piece of this place went with him. Also, I think as this site has evolved that many of the members had an opportunity to meet each other and become friends. So nowadays the fans from far away keep in contact with each other via Facebook and the fans from local cities just meet up for beers or something.
Ummagumma

Loyal Lou
All Star

Post by Loyal Lou » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 am

Well, as far as I'm concerned, this is still a great place to visit when your not in Canada, and need to get CFL information, and right now I need some CFL Information! :good:

How can "OLD" Lou get to watch the CFL on American TV, I'm presently on the Dish Network, any information would be appreciated!!! Lou

Oh Yeah, good to be back for another season of great CFL Football!!!
Loyal Lou, CFL fan from Baltimore,MD.

B.C.FAN
All Star

Post by B.C.FAN » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:59 am

Loyal Lou wrote:How can "OLD" Lou get to watch the CFL on American TV, I'm presently on the Dish Network, any information would be appreciated!!! Lou
Lou, NFL Network plans to cary a minimum of 38 CFL games this year. I believe ESPN3 will have all games.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:30 pm

I believe that this place needs a makeover & maybe a complete mod change. Some guys like Solar & Rammer were/are very good mods & would continue to be good as they are fair & tried to always treat members here respectfully. Some others, well.... Other than that, I don't know how you get the members back.
The problem is this site became like a meet & greet was the cliques that began to show up here. Some fans were buddies with some & not with others. Just because they had a few drinks at a Grey Cup or two they became like long lost brothers. They were treated differently & much, much better than other members here who didn't or couldn't socialize.
The biggest thing I noticed that changed over the years here is how members were either in or out. Mods branded people a certain way & then basically if the member was deemed "out" he/she may as well have been dead. They weren't treated very well by SOME mods. They were criticized, threatened, mocked & even banned while their friends could carry on misbehaving like nothing happened.
And hey, don't, I mean... DON'T... post over 10 messages in a single day or you were accused of running up your post count & were immediately hated & targeted. Just blanket criticisms of members & people being treated badly. I posted a lot here because I enjoyed the topics but I was treated like a piece of crap because some mods didn't like me posting so much. It was never about the numbers for me but the mods made it so.
I mean, I remember getting private hate messages & threats from one mod in particular at the time (I sure would like to make his name public because he deserves to be called out but I won't) saying he was specifically coming after me because (a) I wasn't a fan of his particular team & (b) he didn't like I posted here so much. Now I know it just wasn't me being treated like that which makes me feel a lot better. I realize that it wasn't just me being targeted. A lot of people were treated the same way. By the same arrogant mods.
These same mods carried on for years with nobody stopping them. I believe that's a big reason why such a huge number of people left. I just want to make one thing clear. When I criticize the mod staff here, it's a small bunch of bad apples. Not everyone.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 pm

That particular Mod caused grief for other Mods too, if it's any consolation iso.

We were here to represent our teams' posters; perhaps he was a tad vehement about his.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:12 am

Solar Max wrote:That particular Mod caused grief for other Mods too, if it's any consolation iso.

We were here to represent our teams' posters; perhaps he was a tad vehement about his.
Vehement? The mod was wacked. A nutcase. Threats by PM. Imagine getting a PM, opening it & the message is he's going to get me. Make sure I get permanently banned from here. He says he's going to make my life miserable. For what? Because he says he can. Because I posted too much. And I didn't like his team. Jerk. (I'm being nice). Glad you know who I'm referring to, Solar.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:23 pm

iso_55 wrote:
Solar Max wrote:That particular Mod caused grief for other Mods too, if it's any consolation iso.

Vehement? The mod was wacked. A nutcase. Threats by PM. Imagine getting a PM, opening it & the message is he's going to get me. Make sure I get permanently banned from here. He says he's going to make my life miserable. For what? Because he says he can. Because I posted too much. And I didn't like his team. Jerk. (I'm being nice). Glad you know who I'm referring to, Solar.
I have no idea who you're referring to. Though I do remember that you threatened to punch out Greycupgarry, so quit playing the victim. You have repeated the same post for 7 pages in this thread. Get over it already. How do you expect to get any respect on this site when you refer to the posters and mods of 13thman as morons?
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:32 pm

cossack wrote:
iso_55 wrote:

I have no idea who you're referring to. Though I do remember that you threatened to punch out Greycupgarry, so quit playing the victim. You have repeated the same post for 7 pages in this thread. Get over it already. How do you expect to get any respect on this site when you refer to the posters and mods of 13thman as morons?
Respect? Coming from some people here... that word is a joke. Respect goes both ways. It's earned not handed out because somebody has more power than others here. It is really saying something when a site gets down to members talking about physical altercations with each other, isn't it? When a member gets harassed to that point & frustrations boil over.
You are conveniently forgetting... Garry said a bunch of insulting things to me. I said in an angry response that he'd never have the courage to say those things to me in person because I'd slap him... not punch him out. So, get your facts straight.
I wasn't challenging him to a fight. I was just making a point that we all get real brave sitting in front of our computers saying things that we would never dare say to somebody's face in person because we'd get slapped. Or worse. He admitted that was true by the way as we corresponded afterwards when we both calmed down. We had worked things out between us although I'd never consider him a friend here.
I am not proud of what I said but at the same time, he had no right to insult me. Nobody has that right. If I could take it all back, I would. I felt absolutely terrible when GCG passed away & I have regrets over what happened between us. Even though we patched things up, I am still very sorry that skirmish occurred. Which I have also said on this site that you conveniently also forget to mention.
Another thing, cossack... From all the comments, I'm not the only one who feels like I do. I'm not the only one playing "victim" here. So, you can say whatever you want because now I know what I say are facts backed up by others. If you think *poop* like that doesn't drive people away then you are clueless.