What Has Happened To This Place?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

iso_55
Legend

What Has Happened To This Place?

Post by iso_55 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 pm

This place used to be the number one CFL site for posting news & having (sometimes heated) discussions. Now, it looks like it has ground to a halt. I've come on here on Game Days to check out the discussion & there's wasn't even any threads about games being played that day. Winnipeg's finally getting a new stadium... Kavis Reed is the Esks new head coach. AC surgery was a success. No discussion, nothing.
Looks like some of the the mods finally got their way here. They didn't like people posting & wrongly accusing people of ruunning their numbers up. They ran off some & excluded others. If you weren't part of the "In Crowd" you were a mod target. Now it looks like nobody posts... Too bad as this place used to rock. I'm shocked to see what has become of 13thman. But upon further reflection, I am not surprised.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

ibleed4green
Rookie

Re: What Has Happened To This Place?

Post by ibleed4green » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Hmmm-for non-Rider discussion I found some great input here-maybe its just the season.....
Just Believe!!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 pm

You should have seen this place 5 years ago as it was awesome. Now, not even close.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:23 am

I have to agree, this was the site I used the most to check on the CFL, the banter was great to read, even if one got the short end of the stick once in awhile ie me..lol..
Merry Christmas to all and have a Happy New Year :beer:
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by prairiedog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:42 pm

iso_55 wrote:They ran off some & excluded others. If you weren't part of the "In Crowd" you were a mod target.
Blaming mods for twitter and blogging are we? Every forum that I post on is WAAAYYY down in activity. You don't think the blackberries and iphones had anything to do with the general decline in forum popularity?
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Everyone's grown up.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 pm

prairiedog wrote:
iso_55 wrote:They ran off some & excluded others. If you weren't part of the "In Crowd" you were a mod target.
Blaming mods for twitter and blogging are we? Every forum that I post on is WAAAYYY down in activity. You don't think the blackberries and iphones had anything to do with the general decline in forum popularity?
Don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Other sites are busy despite tweeting & other technological & social networking applications. . I don't know who the mods are today as opposed to 5 years ago & I don't really care. I'm just saying that there were a few mods here back in the day with big egos who tried to run things their way & a lot of people said the hell with it & left. Not all the mods back then were like that. Just a few. But they spoiled it for everybody. Now this site is for all intents & purposes another Total CFL.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 am

There was a thread like that over 1 year ago:

http://13thman.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36035

I still take a quick peak at the site but LIFE got in the way...2 more kids, a more demanding job, etc....

I started to post here in 2004 after the Grey Cup in Ottawa when I met some of the posters...and YES this place was rockin'....
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 am

XGamer wrote:There was a thread like that over 1 year ago:

http://13thman.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36035

I still take a quick peak at the site but LIFE got in the way...2 more kids, a more demanding job, etc....

I started to post here in 2004 after the Grey Cup in Ottawa when I met some of the posters...and YES this place was rockin'....
A few years ago, I know a number of Eskimo fans got fed up & left. There have been other examples. Four or five years ago, I had a mod PM me & say that he would stop at nothing to get me perma banned here. All because he didn't like the fact that I didn't like the Saskatchewan Roughriders & had some less than glowing comments about his team at the time.
I had other mods dislike me because they felt I posted too much. Sure, I posted a lot but it wasn't just to drive my numbers up. I enjoyed coming here. There were a lot of topics on the CFL, NFL, politics, etc... So, there were times I may have made 20, 30 comments or even more each time I came here. Somehow, that was perceived as running up my post totals which was absolutely bogus & I became a mod target by some.
You see, this was a busy place. I'd make a post & then a few minutes later, I'd find out that 5 people responded so it was like it was a chat in real time. Not just on one topic but maybe 4 or 5 simultaneously. As soon as I posted there'd be a response almost instantaneously. And it was like that nearly everytime I came on here. That's why my post count was so high. It just happened & was never intentional. Imagine being chastized & hated for being too active a poster. I never understood the logic in that. Like, who really cares? That would never happen now because there is no traffic.
Maybe these mods are still here. Maybe they are gone. My point to all of this isn't to point fingers at anyone which is why I'll never name names BUT... eventually people get tired of being treated like second class citizens & leave. If the place is unfriendly, then why keep coming back? And to a lot of members like me, it went from being a cool place to hang out as a CFL fan to being the last place they'd come to.

B-17
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by B-17 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:30 am

I admit, I dropped my posting just because work became too busy. I suspect general drop in activity due also to some posters just preferring "home town" sites where they are more likely to find those who agree with them (in general), or more focused debate. I also agree, there is more "on line" competition now with facebook, twitter etc. Also, though, people may do a lot more one to one, or IM group chatter, instead of wanting to just be public and having anyone anywhere respond.

While I can't speak for individuals, I do think that even at it's busiest, mods tried hard to be fair and balanced and keep everyone feeling welcome. They did a great job handling some very difficult posters as best they could -- remember, they are all volunteers. No one is getting rich here.

Maybe you don't like how you were handled, Iso. Maybe there was one bad mod who had issue with you. On the other hand, my experience has been is that there is rarely one 100% right and 100% wrong side, and that there was probably some blame on both parts. When I was part of the mod forum, there was sometimes just no winning -- some posters would complain the mods weren't doing enough . . . other posters would complain the mods were too heavy handed. You try navigating that kind of environment sometime.

This was the best general CFL fan site out there in its heyday. No one can take that away from the site moderator. I haven't heard of any better site coming along and taking its place (like this site did to Total -- no offense, also another great site during it's glory years).

I don't think it's any one thing "killing" this site as much as the world moves on different ways. And sometimes there is an ebb and flow, may be one day this site starts to be the hub it once was again in the future. Or some general team site shuts down for some reason, and suddenly there is a whole new influx of posters and this becomes the place to go to. You never know.
Black holes are where God divided by 0.
- Stephen Wright

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm

What happened is when Garry died all other issues seemed mninor for a long time, then facebook took off.
Thats what happened, we could get it back with a huge 10 city blitz in june on facebook.
yes Ottawa and Monton too!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm

B-17 wrote:I admit, I dropped my posting just because work became too busy. I suspect general drop in activity due also to some posters just preferring "home town" sites where they are more likely to find those who agree with them (in general), or more focused debate. I also agree, there is more "on line" competition now with facebook, twitter etc. Also, though, people may do a lot more one to one, or IM group chatter, instead of wanting to just be public and having anyone anywhere respond.

While I can't speak for individuals, I do think that even at it's busiest, mods tried hard to be fair and balanced and keep everyone feeling welcome. They did a great job handling some very difficult posters as best they could -- remember, they are all volunteers. No one is getting rich here.

Maybe you don't like how you were handled, Iso. Maybe there was one bad mod who had issue with you. On the other hand, my experience has been is that there is rarely one 100% right and 100% wrong side, and that there was probably some blame on both parts. When I was part of the mod forum, there was sometimes just no winning -- some posters would complain the mods weren't doing enough . . . other posters would complain the mods were too heavy handed. You try navigating that kind of environment sometime.

This was the best general CFL fan site out there in its heyday. No one can take that away from the site moderator. I haven't heard of any better site coming along and taking its place (like this site did to Total -- no offense, also another great site during it's glory years).

I don't think it's any one thing "killing" this site as much as the world moves on different ways. And sometimes there is an ebb and flow, may be one day this site starts to be the hub it once was again in the future. Or some general team site shuts down for some reason, and suddenly there is a whole new influx of posters and this becomes the place to go to. You never know.
You are right B-17, it wasn't all the mods just a few of them. And again, I am not pointing fingers or naming names. But it is amazing how a couple of mods can spoil things for people. I put it down to SOME mods (not all) having big egos. I mean, five years ago this place was super popular so if you were a mod here back then & had the power to ban someone because you didn't like them or could push them around & bully them it must have been a huge power trip for some. Most mods handled it very well & were fair but some were complete idiots.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 pm

ping wrote:What happened is when Garry died all other issues seemed mninor for a long time, then facebook took off.
Thats what happened, we could get it back with a huge 10 city blitz in june on facebook.
I do have one regret & that is getting into a nasty disagreement with Grey Cup Garry before he died. If there is one thing I could change it would be to never have had that argument with him. Or to try to have made things right with him. It's sad what happened between us & I am truly sorry for that. His death was a complete shock to all of us.

argonaut11xx
Starter

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 am

OK...what are "the Mod's"...are they like the Mod Squad?..Link and his buddies from the movies?

I do agree that it was awesome when you'd make a post...and people responded immediately...

My first post was "Damon Allen Sucks"...(yes he did, and still does)

It was wild, all kinds of lunatics actually thought he was a decent quarterback...WOW...

But honestly, its more fun when the debates get abit heated, when the "westerners" get offended that TORONTO is the center of the universe....and watching pussy cat fans get riled up because Hamilton is the "Armpit" of Canada...

hahahaha....
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:33 am

ping wrote:What happened is when Garry died all other issues seemed mninor for a long time, then facebook took off.
Agreed.