has the cfl killed the argos with the new schedule?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Redzone
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: has the cfl killed the argos with the new schedule?

Post by Redzone » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 am

A lot has been made of the Friday 6:30 start and the Saturday 4:00 start, but as a dad who is trying to get my kids to as many games as possible, I applaud the idea of the earlier startrs. My little guy will be 6 this season and his body clock sometimes has a problem staying up for the whole game when there's a 7:30 or 8:00 start. The Saturday 4:00 game is great for families because we can spend the day downtown and still get to the game. I think the CFL needs to do as much as they can to get families to the games. I'm a fan and season ticket holder in Toronto because my dad took me to games as a kid in Winnipeg and I learned to love the game. We need to expose our youth to the game and most parents aren't letting the kids stay up until 10:30 - 11:00 to watch away games on school nights. That being said, this will be our first season with a PVR which will make it easier to watch the late games with the kids.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:31 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
ping wrote:
You sre correct in what you say. The tfc is no longer the toast of the town and the ticket is no longer a hot one.
I went 1 year too long on my seasons and will never renew with the terrible product on the field.
I still beleive most people in Toronto would rather see the TFC but a fraction compared to two short years ago!
So then Dave are you saying the 'game day atmosphere' etc that was so much better than the Argos isn't enough to put bums in seats?

Or that no amount of superior food, drink and atmosphere can overcome what is essentially a boring kids game? And that people are finally realizing that Soccer at that level just sucks?
Oh Snap! :rotf:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

MulderS
Starter

Post by MulderS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Gill The Thrill wrote: Fact is the media made a much bigger deal than it really was. The Ford's are Chicago Bears fans and paid their way down to watch the NFC championship as private citizens which they shoud be entitled to do on their private time, it's not as if they were invited by Roger Goodell. It was a comment about how efficient the NFL was as an economic model and who could really disagree. Of course publications like the Toronto Star, who will find any reason to demean the mayor would want to turn it into a negative story. Ford does not demean the CFL or the Toronto Argonauts at all in his comments. He just mentions the economic positives of an NFL team...that's it. Is he wrong, could be, but probably not. If he said the CFL is terrible and the Argos mean nothing then that would be something negative but he does not.

Let's get something straight. If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. I hate government regulation and I'm a firm believer in the free market and in competition. Yes, I like the CFL but that's because I choose to and not because I'm forced to, nor should I be. I also like American Football and I definitely don't like protectionist laws meant to regulate competition and choice for consumers. This is why Canadians get shafted day in and day out by supposedly great businesses like Rogers and Bell. That's a disgrace and only goes to support a monopoly of bad businesses who take advantage of consumers. The CFL and the Argos need not worry about the NFL, so long as they run their operation well and develop a good fan base which has reason to remain loyal. This is the same for any other business including an NFL team. Unfortunately the Argos have not always done this and being in the largest market in their league, it's even hurt the league, but that is not my fault, your fault, Rob Ford's fault or even the NFL's fault....Guess whose fault it is?...I think you know, but that's business. Other people's business (Unless you're Bell and Rogers) are not protected from competition, why should their's be. That's not healthy for society, for both the quality of the business, in this case the Argos, CFL and especially for consumers.
I posted a while ago on the CFL forums the economic positives of a stadium funded by taxpayers, especially in Canada. Our tax rate pretty much means that about 25-30% of the cost of the stadium is returned to the government before the stadium even opens for the first game. So I wouldn't be surprised if Mayor Ford accidentally finds this much to "help offset" the costs.