100th Grey Cup Gloom and Doom from Perry Lefko

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

2014 MVP

100th Grey Cup Gloom and Doom from Perry Lefko

Postby cossack » Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/05/30/lefko_2012_toronto/

Did Perry get Paul Godfrey to write this article? And why oh why is he kissing Eugene Melnyk's butt? Comparing the Grey Cup (which tens of thousands of fans attend annually from all over this great country) to an event that was held in the Toronto suburbs is a waste of everybody's time. Here's a hot tip Perry: why don't you act like a real journalist and do a piece on recently retired players, steroids and the new CFL drug testing policy? That might be a meaty story, as long as you didn't go overboard.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Legend

Re: 100th Grey Cup Gloom and Doom from Perry Lefko

Postby iso_55 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Why is Toronto hosting then? If we know a year & a half ahead of time the game won't sell out & there's no interest then pull the GC game from TO & give it to another city.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

2014 MVP

Postby cossack » Tue May 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Isn't it ironic (don't you think) that those who have no intention of coming are the first to criticize?

Legend

Postby iso_55 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:26 pm

cossack wrote:Isn't it ironic (don't you think) that those who have no intention of coming are the first to criticize?

Talk to Perry Lefko. He's the messenger. The way he's describing it, the 100th Grey Cup is going to be a disaster.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby ping » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am

iso_55 wrote:
cossack wrote:Isn't it ironic (don't you think) that those who have no intention of coming are the first to criticize?

Talk to Perry Lefko. He's the messenger. The way he's describing it, the 100th Grey Cup is going to be a disaster.

it will be a hard sell, lets hope Riders get in!
If its a Mont vs BC grey cup, oh my !!!!!!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

Starter

Postby argonaut11xx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 am

Rogers- sportsnet.....

Hmmmmm......

Lets see, the same company that wants an NFL team....home of Phil Lind, Paul Godfrey....

As a CFL fan when i read CRAP like this coming from the Rogers empire, i take it with a grain of salt, understanding that all CFL stories/information from this company, come with an agenda. (a PRO NFL agenda- ANTI CFL agenda)

Do you really expect a hardcore enemy of the CFL to say nice things?...come on...(unless your the two faced fat mayor of toronto)

Perry obviously has no balls, or spine, but hey...he knows who signs his paycheck. (why else would he compare a PRO league, to an Amateur league??...covert attack...think about it)

Dont forget how the Toronto Sun was ANTI CFL .....when Paul Godfrey was at the helm....

These covert attacks on Canadian football in the media...have been going on in the greater toronto area for 20 years....
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best[size=85][/size]

Superstar

Postby Cool » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 am

I know I'm going be there.

Will you?

:helmet:

Starter

Postby argonaut11xx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:09 am

Hey "Cool"...

my fellow AJAX citizen....

i wonder if we have ever crossed paths......hmmmm.....

anyways, YES i will be at the 100th no matter what.....its a once in a lifetime experience....

My FIRST Grey Cup experience was watching Dave Marler (QB) of the Hamilton Ti-Cats get DESTROYED by the Eskimo's in the 68th ..back in 1980.... two years later i was sad when i watched the Argo's lose to the second half rain...(and the fact Jim Germany could run the ball for the Eskimo's)....both at good old Exhibition stadium....

Been to 6 more since then....most memorable was watching the Doug Flutie Argo's win in the snow at Ivor Wynne...(thats still an awesome place to watch football).

I think that Toronto will surprise the rest of Canada and put on a show second to none.....
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best[size=85][/size]

Superstar

Postby Cool » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 pm

argonaut11xx wrote:Hey "Cool"...

my fellow AJAX citizen....

i wonder if we have ever crossed paths......hmmmm.....

anyways, YES i will be at the 100th no matter what.....its a once in a lifetime experience....

My FIRST Grey Cup experience was watching Dave Marler (QB) of the Hamilton Ti-Cats get DESTROYED by the Eskimo's in the 68th ..back in 1980.... two years later i was sad when i watched the Argo's lose to the second half rain...(and the fact Jim Germany could run the ball for the Eskimo's)....both at good old Exhibition stadium....

Been to 6 more since then....most memorable was watching the Doug Flutie Argo's win in the snow at Ivor Wynne...(thats still an awesome place to watch football).

I think that Toronto will surprise the rest of Canada and put on a show second to none.....

Sorry Argonaut1xx, my post wasn't aimed at you, it was for the article...

After I posted, I looked at it and thought it didn't look right. I should have edited it to read the article...

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby hfxbomberfan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Cool wrote:I know I'm going be there.

Will you?

:helmet:

I'm with Cool. I'll be there, doesn't matter who's playing in it...It's the Grey Cup ! :beer:

Perry Lefko doesn't seem to realize that the majority of Grey Cup fans will travel from all over to attend a Grey Cup in this country. I don't think we have to count on the citizens of Toronto to fill the seats for GC 2012. The ones who never go aren't going and the diehard Argo fans will always be there ! :beauty:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

2014 MVP

Postby cossack » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Well said Stan. some people are going to miss 1 hell of a party! :beer:

Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby hfxbomberfan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 pm

cossack wrote:Well said Stan. some people are going to miss 1 hell of a party! :beer:

This will be my "Retirement present" after getting out of the "MOB" - Canadian NAVY. :beer:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

All Star

Postby David » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 am

Argo owner David Braley will play host to next years’ Cup a year after he plays host to this year’s Cup. It just kind of worked out that way, so make what you will of that.

Vancouver will have its challenges.
Right now it’s all about the Vancouver Canucks – and by the way the Lions begin training camp on Sunday.

What the hell is Lefko babbling about? Implying that Vancouver's Grey Cup this year will be a struggle??

Do your homework, man! They've already sold 30,000 tickets to this game from Lions' season ticket holders alone. Tickets won't go on sale to the public until June 21, at which time I have to think they'll go quite quickly - especially given the $563 million renovation to the stadium.

Vancouver might not be many things, but it's turning into a pretty good "event" town. This is not the Vancouver of a decade earlier. This is going to be a big, successful party.

DH :cool:
Vancouver's like a bowl of cereal: what ain't fruits or nuts is flakes.

All Star

Postby AngeloV » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 pm

As I've said on numerous occasions, that's what you get when a guy that covers horse racing crosses over to cover real sports.
For starters, he was probably egged on by Melnyk to write that article because Melnyk is still miffed that his bid for an MLS stadium didn't happen. He is very anti-CFL. The memorial cup failed, because he forced fans to buy ticket packages rather than individual game tickets. By the time the tickets went on sale to individuals, it was disgustingly over priced. Honestly, I know it's a huge tourney, but paying $75-$100 to watch junior hockey is insane. Especially when you consider the OHL finals (a best of 7 series which IMO opinion is way more important and exciting than a 4 team, 1 week tourney where the best team doesn't necessarily win) could be watched live for $20-$30.

Lefko and Melnyk can kiss my @$$.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Hall of Famer

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 am

I am not sure what Perry is going on about here either. The last Grey Cup in Toronto sold out fairly easily and this one will likely sell out even faster. I really don't think that he has anything to worry about with Vancouver this year either. The issue of having Grey Cups with attendance problems seems to be long gone. There really hasn't been such an issue since at least 2000.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football