2011 Predictions

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Prospect

2011 Predictions

Postby jazzace » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:20 am

Although some have already discussed who will challenge Montreal for first in the East (http://www.13thman.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36693), I haven't seen anyone make full standings predictions for the league. So I'll start:

West
1. B.C. - after an embarrassing first half of 2010, the Leos look for real this season
2. Calgary - Pre-season opener was probably the worst home game in a few years, but then they looked great against Edmonton; I expect a lot of that unevenness throughout the season
3. Saskatchewan - they will feel their offseason losses and will just barely miss a home playoff game
4. Edmonton - they may hit their stride by season's end, but that will not be soon enough for this season

East
1. Montreal - It will be closer than it has been in years, but that's just because the other teams in the East have been improving
2. Toronto - pretty much a coin flip between them and the Cats, but I think Jim Barker's message is finally getting through and Cleo Lemon is looking better; could go either way, however; neither team will be ousted by a crossover
3. Hamilton
4. Winnipeg - see my comments for Edmonton

And just to make it exciting, I'm going to predict a Calgary - Toronto grey cup game with the Stamps taking it. Your thoughts?

(Also, don't forget to participate in the free CFL Prediction Pool at http://cfl.damaris.ca and Rona's new game of a similar nature with prizes at Rona.ca)

All Star

Re: 2011 Predictions

Postby B.C.FAN » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:06 pm

WEST
Calgary 13-5
B.C. 12-6
Saskatchewan 8-10
Edmonton 4-14

EAST
Montreal 12-6
Hamilton 9-9
Winnipeg 8-10
Toronto 6-12

2014 MVP

Postby Solar Max » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:24 pm

WEST
Calgary 12-6
B.C. 9-9
Saskatchewan 9-9
Edmonton 5-13

EAST
Ottawa 18-0
Montreal 12-6
Hamilton 10-8
Toronto 8-10
Winnipeg 7-11
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Superstar

Postby CatsEyes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm

And The Rough Riders will be undefeated once again ;)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 am

West
Calgary
BC
Sask
Edmonton

East
Hamilton (18-0 and Grey Cup champions)
Montreal
Toronto
Winnipeg

And I predict that for the 50th consecutive season no NFL team will have the guts to challenge the Tiger-Cats for their CFL-NFL title.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby BB_Blitz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am

Bombers QB situation is too unstable. Buck's a warrior in an eggshell body. Too bad for him and us. I give Big Blue 8th place. :no:

Argos could be the darkhorse to take it all this year once Jyles gets healthy. :cowboy:

:beer:
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

2014 MVP

Postby Solar Max » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:46 am

That Jyles situation seems like a Top Secret plan, doesn't it? We could tell you if he is really badly hurt but we'd have to kill you.

Presuming that Barker is simply stashing him on the 9 game IR, you have to wonder what chance he has to take Lemon's job, even if he comes off the 9 game early.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

2014 MVP

Postby cossack » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Apparently the 9 game is legit. Jyles didn't even throw a pass during training camp, just some light tossing on the sidelines. The Argos signed off on the trade knowing full well that he may not be ready to start the season. Even if he's only ready for the last half of the season, I still think the Argos win this trade.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Legend

Postby iso_55 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:13 pm

Our secondary & OL scare me. Until they get those 2 areas straightened out, the Stamps will struggle. We will miss Ben Archibald more than we know.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby Cool » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Poor ol' Winnipeg...

Starter

Postby spikewpg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 am

Guaranteed prediction - and this seems to be happening every year lately - an Argo and a Rider fan will alternatively keep sneaking into my bedroom and proceed to somehow manage to shrink all the waistbands on my pants/shorts so that for Grey Cup, I'll need to buy some new stuff :beer:

East
Montreal coasts again to first.
Ham, Wpg and Tor battle each other for the scraps. A toss up to me all dependent on who avoids the injury bug the most.

West
BC
Cal
Sask
Edm

My gut somehow thinks BC is the team to watch out for this year in the west. That same gut always thinks the upcoming year is the Bombers year - so take that for what you will. They finished hot last year and Lulay has a full training camp as the "man" under his belt and with a healthy JJ at backup, that's a pretty solid one two punch. Getting Archibald is big and will help a great deal in keeping those two healthy.

And I know it's pre season but when you shutout last years best West team one week and allow only six against the second best West team the following week, that should be some foreshadowing that the defense might be good.

Calgary's OLine and DB's are the unknown's hence why I popped them down a spot. That's offset a little by the Huff factor - who's one of the CFL's coolest people.

Saskatchewan has undergone so many changes this off season - in both players and coaches, I think it will take them a while to get rolling. Losing Fantuz and Bagg is brutal and Getzlaf has started the year off a little shaky so how will Durant cope with that? Sask will be competitive and play mean and tough (Greg Marshall will ensure that) but I don't know if they have enough firepower to be that elite team they have been the last 2 years. Plus losing back 2 back Grey Cups has to be mentally draining and tough to rebound from.

A lot of people picked Edmonton to make the Grey Cup last year and they finished last. Now that everyone is picking them last, maybe they'll finish first. If that's going to happen in any league - it'd be this one!
Don't let anyone tell you differently - alcohol solves most problems.

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby prairiedog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Man, I thought I'd be the only one picking BC first in the west.

WEST

1 - BC - I really like how they finished last year. Now the o-line is MUCH better with Archibald in there. It was already better near the end of last year when they got away from Valli and Sorensen. Angus Reid is one of the most underrated players on the league. They got a lot of depth at receiver, even if most of them aren't household names yet. Lulay has lots of poise and has shown that he can play. Even if he misses a couple starts, Jarious' shoulder should be healthy now and he's always been awesome off the bench. Defensively the Lions are very underrated. They're fast and I really like their secondary. Sanchez, Marsh, Franks, Phillips and Hyland (and Banks wherever he lines up) is a great group. McCallum is back to kick. If Yonus Davis was still there they'd be way too scary.

2 - Calgary - The loss of Archibald and question marks in their secondary hold them back. They'll still score lots of points and be a premiere team in the league. I'll be keeping an eye on the team psyche after the cuts of Browner and Anderson. I want to see if Hufnagel can get more control on his room.

3 - Saskatchewan - I have them third and a LOT closer to fourth than second. There is crossover danger here. Number one issue, Taman has to find a kicker. He did not do his job this offseason, especially when taken into account all the kickers that changed hands in the league, and changed hands LATE, just before training camp, Taman picked Milo and rested while White, Duvall, DeAngelis could have been had, maybe even Shaw or others. Number two, STILL nobody to play rush end, nobody brought in at all - FAIL TAMAN - the team with the worst pass rush in the league gets even worse. Not only that but the guy that I hoped could step up Bret Hawkins just went on the 9 game. Number three, cut Omarr Morgan - want to get younger? Fine, but then cut Donovan Alexander too? Sheer stupidity. Riders have no one playing corner. What do I like? Receivers will be fine, unless injuries tax the depth of the corps. They still have Dressler, Getzlaf and Koch, plus the kids in camp look good. The offensive line looks very good. Hudson, good pickup and Chris Best looks great. The offense will move the ball, will probably run more, Cates looks healthy and just as good as ever. Biggest acquisition: Craig Dickenson as ST coach. Now the Riders finally have special teams that resemble special teams - apart from that LACK OF A KICKER thing. And let's not forget Tristan Jackson on the returns. Mental toughness keeps them out of fourth. They will finish strong (hopefully) get 1 or 2 guys back from the 9 game and hopefully even Taman realizes that he needs a kicker some time before week 19.

4 - Edmonton - Too young and weak on D. Offense will be fine if the defense can get them the ball. Adarius Bowman is a good pickup, gives a different dynamic to their corps. He complements Stamps and Barnes very well. Normally a big pet peeve of mine, Bowman drops the odd pass, but with him I don't seem to mind. Powerful player. But like I said, the D is just too weak to keep up. I do really like Greg Peach at rush end though. He's going to be an all-star.

EAST

1 - Montreal - Best coached team, strong in every facet. Even MORE dominant this year.

2 - Toronto - I like Cleo Lemon's attitude even if his results were mediocre. I think that he can get better and I think so far he is a bit better, but even if it's Dalton Bell or Jyles (returning from injury). I think the passing game will improve. This is a very gutsy team and having Rickey Foley for a full year will give them good pass rush.

3 - Hamilton - These teams from 2 to 4 in the East could all easily be interchanged and I think all will be below .500. I'm not sold on Hamilton's o-line. I don't think Cobourne will make much difference to their running game at all, although I think he can be very effective picking blitzes in the backfield. Defensively I like their front 7, but losing Tisdale hurts the secondary. Kevin Glenn and the passing game should keep them in the playoffs.

4 - Winnipeg - This is tough to say that they will miss the playoffs, but I have to pick someone. I'm not going to pick O'Bie or Barker to miss the playoffs. Winnipeg lost 9 games by less than a touchdown. This is not a 4-14 team. Of course the big question mark is Buck Pierce. I'd love to see him play the full season without injury but I just can't count on that.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!

heh

Hall of Famer

Postby FootbalYouBet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

prairiedog wrote:Man, I thought I'd be the only one picking BC first in the west.

WEST

1 - BC - I really like how they finished last year. Now the o-line is MUCH better with Archibald in there. It was already better near the end of last year when they got away from Valli and Sorensen. Angus Reid is one of the most underrated players on the league. They got a lot of depth at receiver, even if most of them aren't household names yet. Lulay has lots of poise and has shown that he can play. Even if he misses a couple starts, Jarious' shoulder should be healthy now and he's always been awesome off the bench. Defensively the Lions are very underrated. They're fast and I really like their secondary. Sanchez, Marsh, Franks, Phillips and Hyland (and Banks wherever he lines up) is a great group. McCallum is back to kick. If Yonus Davis was still there they'd be way too scary.

2 - Calgary - The loss of Archibald and question marks in their secondary hold them back. They'll still score lots of points and be a premiere team in the league. I'll be keeping an eye on the team psyche after the cuts of Browner and Anderson. I want to see if Hufnagel can get more control on his room.

3 - Saskatchewan - I have them third and a LOT closer to fourth than second. There is crossover danger here. Number one issue, Taman has to find a kicker. He did not do his job this offseason, especially when taken into account all the kickers that changed hands in the league, and changed hands LATE, just before training camp, Taman picked Milo and rested while White, Duvall, DeAngelis could have been had, maybe even Shaw or others. Number two, STILL nobody to play rush end, nobody brought in at all - FAIL TAMAN - the team with the worst pass rush in the league gets even worse. Not only that but the guy that I hoped could step up Bret Hawkins just went on the 9 game. Number three, cut Omarr Morgan - want to get younger? Fine, but then cut Donovan Alexander too? Sheer stupidity. Riders have no one playing corner. What do I like? Receivers will be fine, unless injuries tax the depth of the corps. They still have Dressler, Getzlaf and Koch, plus the kids in camp look good. The offensive line looks very good. Hudson, good pickup and Chris Best looks great. The offense will move the ball, will probably run more, Cates looks healthy and just as good as ever. Biggest acquisition: Craig Dickenson as ST coach. Now the Riders finally have special teams that resemble special teams - apart from that LACK OF A KICKER thing. And let's not forget Tristan Jackson on the returns. Mental toughness keeps them out of fourth. They will finish strong (hopefully) get 1 or 2 guys back from the 9 game and hopefully even Taman realizes that he needs a kicker some time before week 19.

4 - Edmonton - Too young and weak on D. Offense will be fine if the defense can get them the ball. Adarius Bowman is a good pickup, gives a different dynamic to their corps. He complements Stamps and Barnes very well. Normally a big pet peeve of mine, Bowman drops the odd pass, but with him I don't seem to mind. Powerful player. But like I said, the D is just too weak to keep up. I do really like Greg Peach at rush end though. He's going to be an all-star.

EAST

1 - Montreal - Best coached team, strong in every facet. Even MORE dominant this year.

2 - Toronto - I like Cleo Lemon's attitude even if his results were mediocre. I think that he can get better and I think so far he is a bit better, but even if it's Dalton Bell or Jyles (returning from injury). I think the passing game will improve. This is a very gutsy team and having Rickey Foley for a full year will give them good pass rush.

3 - Hamilton - These teams from 2 to 4 in the East could all easily be interchanged and I think all will be below .500. I'm not sold on Hamilton's o-line. I don't think Cobourne will make much difference to their running game at all, although I think he can be very effective picking blitzes in the backfield. Defensively I like their front 7, but losing Tisdale hurts the secondary. Kevin Glenn and the passing game should keep them in the playoffs.

4 - Winnipeg - This is tough to say that they will miss the playoffs, but I have to pick someone. I'm not going to pick O'Bie or Barker to miss the playoffs. Winnipeg lost 9 games by less than a touchdown. This is not a 4-14 team. Of course the big question mark is Buck Pierce. I'd love to see him play the full season without injury but I just can't count on that.

this post looks strangely familiar, but I just cant put my finger on it :wink:
Don't confuse me with facts

Legend
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Postby BB_Blitz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:38 pm

cossack wrote:Apparently the 9 game is legit. Jyles didn't even throw a pass during training camp, just some light tossing on the sidelines. The Argos signed off on the trade knowing full well that he may not be ready to start the season. Even if he's only ready for the last half of the season, I still think the Argos win this trade.

I'm picking TiCats to win the GC this year and Glenn to win the MOP award. Just got a fat hunch. You heard it here first my friend. :cowboy:

:beer:
Welcome to SWAGGERVILLE !!!
You only get a once in a lifetime opportunity so many times.

Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby argonaut11xx » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 am

Predictions...hmmm....

The season is a fun gig...but the playoffs are what matters....

Saskatchewan will finish LAST in the west (where they belong)...

Montreal will falter...but AC gets his passing record....

and the Grey Cup will be re-named " The Braley Bowl"...cause its gonna be the Argo's v Lion's in Vancouver for the championship....

wanna bet?...?...hehe
of all the things you can HAVE...fun is the best[size=85][/size]

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football