How Many EMPTY seats?????

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

argonaut11xx
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

How Many EMPTY seats?????

Post by argonaut11xx » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 am

With the Alouettes looking horrible in the final game vs BC....how many folks are going to head to Olympic Stadium for the east semi final?

My guess is 28,000 maybe. The Al's have struggled to put 25,000 at home this season

With all the talk about Toronto's attendance problems, i fear that Montreal is in a much worse postion. Calvillo is probably going to retire, the Alouettes wont be a powerhouse, and the folks in montreal wont show up for a crappy team.

Ticats85
Rookie
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: How Many EMPTY seats?????

Post by Ticats85 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm

i agree that montreal might be a concern in the future montreal doesn't like a losing team, thats a challenge in the future for the organization, but for right now i think there alright they havn't sold out any of their games this year but i think its been 24000 every game which isn't to bad, i say around 40 000 for the game at the big O

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:09 am

Ticats85 wrote:i agree that montreal might be a concern in the future montreal doesn't like a losing team, thats a challenge in the future for the organization, but for right now i think there alright they havn't sold out any of their games this year but i think its been 24000 every game which isn't to bad, i say around 40 000 for the game at the big O
considering we always had 20,000 a game before the stadium size increased 24,000 is pretty decent and justified the construction of new seating.

I'd be happy with 30,000. Winnipeg's not going to have more for the east final anyway. Should be a whale of a game this sunday.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 am

argonaut11xx wrote:With the Alouettes looking horrible in the final game vs BC....how many folks are going to head to Olympic Stadium for the east semi final?

My guess is 28,000 maybe. The Al's have struggled to put 25,000 at home this season

With all the talk about Toronto's attendance problems, i fear that Montreal is in a much worse postion. Calvillo is probably going to retire, the Alouettes wont be a powerhouse, and the folks in montreal wont show up for a crappy team.
so far 25-26,000 have already been sold so your guess is a likely one. I must say that I am impressed that Toronto managed 20,000 for the final home game considering the season they had and missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. The worse that could happen in montreal is the same, we'll always have a 20,000 core fan base no matter what.

Tater
Playground Scrub

Post by Tater » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 pm

35,000 plus - wud be my guess...hopefully closer to 40,000.
Been to the big O for a few Eastern Final games with 50,000 plus. Absolutely defeaning when the crowd was in it. Fantastic atmosphere.
The fact that its a semi-final game will obviously bring down the numbers.
But IMO, 35,000 is still a good number.
Hoping for an exciting game, both east and west semis.
- I'm a Tater!!

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:02 pm

seems like they've reached 30,000 today. not bad considering there was only 18,000 on sunday. Maybe cuz there's no hockey here saturday night. :beauty:

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:41 pm

294life wrote:seems like they've reached 30,000 today. not bad considering there was only 18,000 on sunday. Maybe cuz there's no hockey here saturday night. :beauty:
They ended up with over 33k which isn't bad at all for a semi-final IMO.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

pat
Rookie
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by pat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 pm

That was a really good football game and from what I read had TV ratings of 3 million during OT. That's a pretty good number.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:05 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:
294life wrote:seems like they've reached 30,000 today. not bad considering there was only 18,000 on sunday. Maybe cuz there's no hockey here saturday night. :beauty:
They ended up with over 33k which isn't bad at all for a semi-final IMO.
Apparently it would seem owner Bob Wetenhall needed 35,000 to break even. Nevertheless it was still a bigger crowd than in edmonton who had 30,000. Winnipeg won't have any more than that. BC i should think 40,000 should be the minimum.

Loyal Lou
All Star

Post by Loyal Lou » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 am

Hey Argo fan, what are you talking about, "How Many Empty Seats?" in Montreal? Everyone knows the Montreal fans are the worst fans in the CFL, I've been saying that since 1996! You show me fans who were blessed with a really great teams in 1996 & 97, with team wins 0f 12-6, and 13-5, and draw just 9800 fans a game in 1996, then follow with 7800 a game after having a great team record of 13-5? Everywhere else but in Montreal, the fans would be filling the stadium for the team. I will long remember Grant Carter the als really good defensive end telling my brother Fred and I, if the Als were wearing Ice Skates, the Big Owe would be over flowing with fans. Lou
Loyal Lou, CFL fan from Baltimore,MD.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:03 am

Loyal Lou wrote:Hey Argo fan, what are you talking about, "How Many Empty Seats?" in Montreal? Everyone knows the Montreal fans are the worst fans in the CFL, I've been saying that since 1996! You show me fans who were blessed with a really great teams in 1996 & 97, with team wins 0f 12-6, and 13-5, and draw just 9800 fans a game in 1996, then follow with 7800 a game after having a great team record of 13-5? Everywhere else but in Montreal, the fans would be filling the stadium for the team. I will long remember Grant Carter the als really good defensive end telling my brother Fred and I, if the Als were wearing Ice Skates, the Big Owe would be over flowing with fans. Lou
I agree with your statement in that the als never get the support they deserve in their own city. There was actually an average of 20,000 a game in 1996 although there was some fudging from Jim Speros. You have to remember that the expos were drawing over a million a year in that era.

I think als and argo fans are the best in that they support their team in spite of the relative indifference from their respective cities. Argo fans have actually proven to be far better for what they've been through the last 4 years.

In 1996-97 however during the Flutie era there certainly could have been more support from Toronto for what was still in my eyes one of the greatest cfl teams of all time. Montreal-TO 1997 east final still stands out as one of the greatest games ever played and yet there were only 30,000 people.

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 am

will the grey cup sell out?
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

Ticats85
Rookie
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Ticats85 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 am

i believe the grey cup has been sold out for quite sometime now :beauty:

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Ticats85 wrote:i believe the grey cup has been sold out for quite sometime now :beauty:
yup. not as fast as edmonton did but the fastest in bc history. should be a blast.

last Grey cup game between
ticats-edm 1986
ticats-lions 1985
wpg-esks 1993
wpg-lions 1988

one way or another, it's been a while. :canada:

West Coast Als Fan
Rookie

Post by West Coast Als Fan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57 am

Fan support in Montreal has always been fickle. In the early 70's, despite Cup wins in 1970 and 74 and despite having one of the most dynamic players of his generation in Johnny Rodgers, the Als drew pitiful crowds. Now a lot of that had to do with the venue they played in, the late and unlamented Autostade, which had a capacity of roughly 33,000. But despite the poor location and amenities that the Autostade was infamous for, the Als still should have drawn better.

Then they moved into the Big O and, for a few years, they were enormously popular. Near capacity crowds of almost 60,000 were the norm for even regular season games in the late 70's. But just as quickly as the crowds mushroomed they also disappeared after 1981. Again, there were several front office troubles and the team even changed its name for a couple of years, but the truth of the matter is that the CFL in all the Eastern cities at least, just fell off the map. By the time the Als folded prior to the 1987 season, they were drawing fewer than 3000 fans per game.

When the team came back in the mid-90's, few Montrealers even really remembered the Als or the CFL anymore. After a decade of having no team, the connection had been lost and it was almost like introducing a new sport. And since a lot of the CFL's former fan-base were either past the age when they were into paying to go to games or had left Quebec altogether, the only way the new franchise was going to succeed was to grow new fans from the Francophone community for whom football was not ingrained. It took years and a lot of luck to get the Als and football in general to the place they are today in that province. Firstly, the Als started winning and secondly, a lucky accident moved them out of the Big O and into Molson Stadium, the unpolished gem that was sitting right under their noses all along. Those two factors propelled the team to where we are now, with football enjoying a revival in Quebec the likes of which we've never seen.

When I was going to university at Concordia back in the mid-80's, only 3 Quebec-based schools, all English, participated in CIAU football: Concordia, McGill and Bishops. The rest of the then-OQIFC included teams from Eastern Ontario: U of Ottawa, Carleton (which I don't believe even has a football team anymore) and Queens. Today, there are teams at Laval University, Sherbrooke, and the University of Montreal, all French schools. A lot of the credit for this explosion of football fever has to go to the Als. But it is important to note that even with all their success the Als wouldn't be around today if not for Molson Stadium. Staying at the Big O would have killed them just like staying in the Skydome/Rogers Center is killing the Argos.

Aside from the Grey Cup, no CFL team needs to play in a huge stadium. The Als do just fine in their 25,000 seat venue and the Lions couldn't fill Empire Field earlier this year (they've already torn Empire down, by the way) The new BC Place has fewer seats than before but the Lions still won't fill it on most nights. They drew 35,000 for the last game of the regular season which only really filled the lower bowl and still they ran out of coffee by halftime somehow. I expect that next year the upper bowl will be closed off like they do with Rogers Center. I think that a 35,000 seat (max) facility, ideally one that could be expanded to perhaps 55,000 for a Grey Cup game, is the best option for all teams now, not just the Als.
Dancing is a "contact sport". Football is a "collision sport".