Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

ping
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6122
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 8:15 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Etobicoke,

Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by ping » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Who now will claim the argos are more popular in the city of Toronto than he Mighty TFC. Last night we had 47 000 people in a Totally sold out Skydome.
The Argos have to learn from these guys.Loyal fan clubs, beautiful adidas merchandise for men and women,rsing stars and home grown talent.They have it right. I beleive the TFC will destroy all argos attendence records,its sad but true. The argos are losing the youthful fans to the TFC as its the thing to do,seeing a game.I beleive the argos may become irrelavent will the rise of TFC and The Toronto Rock,where dads can take theier kids to the ACC for cheap. Maybe this sold out game last night shows the Argos theier ticket prices are out of line.What else can the Argos learn from the TFC?
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

User avatar
294life
All Star
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am
Location: happy place

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by 294life » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 am

ping wrote:Who now will claim the argos are more popular in the city of Toronto than he Mighty TFC. Last night we had 47 000 people in a Totally sold out Skydome.
The Argos have to learn from these guys.Loyal fan clubs, beautiful adidas merchandise for men and women,rsing stars and home grown talent.They have it right. I beleive the TFC will destroy all argos attendence records,its sad but true. The argos are losing the youthful fans to the TFC as its the thing to do,seeing a game.I beleive the argos may become irrelavent will the rise of TFC and The Toronto Rock,where dads can take theier kids to the ACC for cheap. Maybe this sold out game last night shows the Argos theier ticket prices are out of line.What else can the Argos learn from the TFC?
It's a Concacaf champions league game against the LA Galaxy, in other words a once in a while event. Full credit for the crowd but in Montreal we had over 50,000 three years ago for our QF match against Santos Laguna. We also expect over 45,000 for our MLS home opener next saturday against Chicago. That's not going to happen often which is why they both play in 20,000 seat stadiums.

TFC has the same ownership as the Leafs if I'm not mistaken which would explain why their marketing strategies are probably better. The Argos should still average over 20,000 a game this year which is equivalent to TFC reg season attendances and the Grey Cup will have over 50,000 people even if the argos are not in it.

Should the Leafs manage the argos as well?
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

User avatar
Cool
Superstar
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:32 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Ajax

Post by Cool » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:17 pm

I plan to be at the 150th Grey Cup.
102

User avatar
294life
All Star
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am
Location: happy place

Post by 294life » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 pm

58,912 people at the Impact home opener setting an all-time record. Looks like the argos aren't the only ones feeling heat from the MLS
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

mikem24
Playground Scrub
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 am
Location: FL

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by mikem24 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 am

TFC also restricts the sale of season tickets because of the huge demand. The cut off is something like 18,000 and that gets you around 18 home games not including the tournaments and friendlies, the Argos are lucky to get 8,000 season tickets. CFL is a hard sell in Toronto.
My sister took my 10 year old nephew to the game and he was really excited about getting to see David Beckham. He also enjoys the CFL and has been to a few Tiger Cat games at IWS but you can't beat the atmosphere of a pro Soccer game with their boisterous fans.

User avatar
Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9155
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:42 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: St Catharines, Ontario

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 am

mikem24 wrote:TFC also restricts the sale of season tickets because of the huge demand.
I don't buy this. TFC had a fair number of empty seats last season as people became bored of their constant losing. It is great for them that they are doing well in this tournament but they have yet to prove that they are anything but a lousy MLS team at this point.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by T-Bone » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:
mikem24 wrote:TFC also restricts the sale of season tickets because of the huge demand.
I don't buy this. TFC had a fair number of empty seats last season as people became bored of their constant losing. It is great for them that they are doing well in this tournament but they have yet to prove that they are anything but a lousy MLS team at this point.
There were empty seats last season but season tickets were sold out as they just did again this year. They also added seasons tickets in the north stand this year that they haven't done in the past.

mikem24
Playground Scrub
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 am
Location: FL

Post by mikem24 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 pm

They could have empty seats when season ticket holders decide not go to a game. When I was a Renegade season ticket holder I had great seats but there were a few games late in the year when the team was out of it and it was a cold rainy night and I stayed at home to watch on TV. Probably more so in soccer where there are 2 or 3 times the number of games and the season starts at the end of March. You have to be a dedicated fan to sit outside in freezing weather. No excuses for the Argos, you can sit in T-shirt weather inside year round if it rains they close the roof, if it gets cold they close the roof.
I don't see TFC as a competitor for the Argos, no more than the Jays are a competitor to the Argos. The Argos only have 9 games a year and it's cheap compared to the other sports, it's too bad that people won't support them, buying a season ticket for 9 games is a lot better than buying a Jays season ticket package at 80 games or so? or Leaf season tickets at $150 average for 42 games! ouch! Sports fans in TO will spend THOUSANDS on season tickets for the Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC but won't spend Hundreds for the Argos.

User avatar
argonaut11xx
Starter
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:22 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 am

Its a BLIP..thats all...think about it...its SOCCER..possibly the most boring sport in the universe...

the MLS is not even the TENTH best soccer league in the world...think about that...The Oshawa Generals play a HIGHER level of hockey, than the MLS plays soccer...

Beckham sells for sure...

I will say this, by limiting the amount of season tickets, they CREATE demand, its a very smart move.

All that said, THIS YEAR..the Argo's will draw more fans that the Toronto Soccer team

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re:

Post by T-Bone » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 am

argonaut11xx wrote:I will say this, by limiting the amount of season tickets, they CREATE demand, its a very smart move.
BMO Field has a seating capacity of 21,140 and they have 18,000 season ticket holders. That leaves 3140 tickets for sale per game.
argonaut11xx wrote:All that said, THIS YEAR..the Argo's will draw more fans that the Toronto Soccer team
I'm not worried about this season, it's next season I'm concerned about. How many of the people that bought season tickets this year to get Grey Cup tickets are going to renew their season tickets next season.

User avatar
argonaut11xx
Starter
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:22 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:50 am

The Argo's are the #2 team in Toronto....

the soccer team is way down..behind the jays ..the Rock ...the intercounty maple leafs...the toronto marlies..

maybe ahead of the raptors, and the lingere football league team...

i will say that 99% of them soccer folks are a fun bunch of drunken sailors....

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Watch out Argos, TFC becoming tast of the town.

Post by T-Bone » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 am

argonaut11xx wrote:The Argo's are the #2 team in Toronto....

the soccer team is way down..behind the jays ..the Rock ...the intercounty maple leafs...the toronto marlies..

maybe ahead of the raptors, and the lingere football league team...
By what standard? Ticket sales?
argonaut11xx wrote:i will say that 99% of them soccer folks are a fun bunch of drunken sailors....
I don't think that many TFC fans are in the Navy.

User avatar
argonaut11xx
Starter
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:22 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 am

"in the Navy"...

oh my... thats got nothing to do with the soccer team...i think thats the theme song for that odd parade that happens in july

User avatar
T-Bone
Prospect
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re:

Post by T-Bone » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 am

argonaut11xx wrote:"in the Navy"...

oh my... thats got nothing to do with the soccer team...i think thats the theme song for that odd parade that happens in july
Maybe but by what standard are the Argos the #2 team in Toronto? Is it ticket sales or something else?

Bobbyp
All Star
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: Kelowna

Post by Bobbyp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Good for them being the tast of town hopefully the Argos will be the taste of town
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests