What is your first CFL memory?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

pat
Rookie
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

What is your first CFL memory?

Post by pat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Ok. this is going on another forum just about one team so I thought I would expand it to the whole CFL.
My first CFL memory is Tony Gabriel catching a pass from Tom Clements in the Grey Cup game. (as much as it pains me to say this...) I was a little guy sitting in my living room and my dad started yelling and saying all sorts of interesting words. I remember thinking...wow! This must be a big deal.

Hymie
All Star

Re: What is your first CFL memory?

Post by Hymie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:52 am

I never really became a football fan until 1969 when I suddenly decided to become a fan. I choose Ottawa as a favourite team because they won the Grey Cup the year before. Before that - as I seem to recall - I hated sports. I one thing I do remember from that season, besides the 69 Grey Cup, was attending my first ever game at Civic Stadium in Hamilton against the Rough Riders. The big hi-light of the game was watching Tommy Joe Coffey kick a field goal to set a scoring record. Unfortunately, I do not remember what record he set, but the stadium went nuts. I do have an earlier memory of taking a newspaper photograph of the Hamilton Tigercats 1967 Grey Cup victory to school for current events with out really understanding what it was all about. I was nine years old then.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 pm

1983 concordes lose 30-25 to the bombers. my first cfl game at the big O.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Sitting on my dads lap watching I believe Toronto and Ottawa. First real game that I could say I really watched cause I wanted to was the 76 Grey Cup and havent stopped since.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:30 am

Another Ottawa connection...losing the '66 Grey Cup, and the grief my dad was in over the loss of Coach Smith shortly before.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

argonaut11xx
Starter
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argonaut11xx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 am

Chuck Ealey as the Toronto Argonauts QB...Pat Marsden on CTV commentating....

I think Ealey got hurt that season, and the team really sucked badly...

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 am

Ismail signing... Candy, Gretzky etc. Never heard of the CFL until then...

cflfandave
Playground Scrub

Post by cflfandave » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:44 am

My first memory is the 1968 Grey Cup game. I was 10 years old and watching the game on TV with my father who is an Ottawa fan. I remember Ottawa running back Vic Washington running with the ball then dropping it and having it bounce right back into his hands and scoring a TD.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re:

Post by Solar Max » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 am

cflfandave wrote:My first memory is the 1968 Grey Cup game. I was 10 years old and watching the game on TV with my father who is an Ottawa fan. I remember Ottawa running back Vic Washington running with the ball then dropping it and having it bounce right back into his hands and scoring a TD.
As I recall my dad was close to having a heart attack on that play. :wink:
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

pat
Rookie

Post by pat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 pm

You know it is hard for me to say this but we really have to get Ottawa back in the league. Even though I was taught from a very young age that Tony Gabriel was a swear word in our house there are some big Ottawa memories on this thread. Another one for me was J C Watts in the 1981 grey cup almost single handed bringing Ottawa to the brink of beating the mighty Eskimos. (They were also a swear word in our house!)

prairiedog
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re:

Post by prairiedog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:35 pm

pat wrote:You know it is hard for me to say this but we really have to get Ottawa back in the league. Even though I was taught from a very young age that Tony Gabriel was a swear word in our house there are some big Ottawa memories on this thread. Another one for me was J C Watts in the 1981 grey cup almost single handed bringing Ottawa to the brink of beating the mighty Eskimos. (They were also a swear word in our house!)
JC (Julius Caesar) Watts was tremendous, but the defense also played incredibly. Sowieta and Glassford, Billy Hardee come to mind.

My first CFL memory is Week 1 (pretty sure it was week 1) 1979 BC at Regina on the TV. The game itself was a snoozer (13-4 final score) and didn't hold my 7 year old attention span for the whole game, but I was hooked. Never watched sports before that. Was a total TV addict but always just flipped the channel away whenever I saw sports. That all changed when I saw that game.

Jerry Tagge went down with a knee (?) injury in that game - an injury that pivotally changed his career, he was never the same after that. Joe Paopao stepped in in relief and Roy Dewalt became his backup. That's all that I remember about the game other than the Riders scoring first with a single, and taking a 4-3 lead a bit later.

1980 was the first season that I actually started understanding the game, watching whole games start to finish, grasping the concepts of down and distance etc, turnovers. Before that I was fascinated enough by just teams, uniforms and star players (Brian Kelly Warren Moon Dieter Brock, Leon Bright, Lui Passaglia, JT Hay), and waiting for the next touchdown or long bomb pass.
ping wrote:Funny thing is all argo fans should support the cats and vise-versa. There not our enemy, Montreal is!!
heh

Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Look over your left shoulder and I will be on the right side.

Post by Rammer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 am

It wasn't a game, but it was a trade which fascinated me at the time. I guess not an official trade, but the trade of Jim Young to BC for Joe Kapp, which required BC obtaining his rights from the Argos and both Kapp and Young being waived through their respective leagues. IR being rather patriotic about that at the time, and that lead to me watching Dirty 30 and the Lions of course were my team from that point on.
MY CFL INCLUDES THE OTTAWA RENEGADES!

iso_55
Legend

Re: What is your first CFL memory?

Post by iso_55 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 pm

A few of them. The 109 yard pass winning TD pass from Ken Ploen to Ken Nielsen in the 1965 Western Final to seal the deal for the Bombers over the Stampeders. A week later the 65 Wind Bowl in TO (Grey Cup) in a loss to Hamilton.
The trade of Blue Bomber running back Dave Raimey to the Toronto Argonauts for qb Wally Gabler in July of 1969. That was a shocker!! My very first Blue Bomber game I attended as a young fan in August of 1969 at Winnipeg Stadium. An upset 16-14 win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Gabler's first game as a starting qb & he gets the previously winless Blue Bombers a win over the previously undefeated Roughriders. Nice start but poor finish. I think we tied & won only 2 more games that season to go something like 3-12-1.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

jazzace
Prospect

Post by jazzace » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 am

For me, the 1972 Grey Cup with the infamous Leon McQuay fumble around the 5 yard line which would secure the cup for my Stamps for the first time in my lifetime (and for a long time thereafter). Keeling, Harris, Linterman — good times. My only memory before that is of the opening theme and visuals to broadcasts on CTV. I now know that the theme they used was "Give It One" by Maynard Ferguson (good Canadian content on top of good Canadian content). Go listen to the audio preview on iTunes and see if you remember it.

iso_55
Legend

Re:

Post by iso_55 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:04 pm

jazzace wrote:For me, the 1972 Grey Cup with the infamous Leon McQuay fumble around the 5 yard line which would secure the cup for my Stamps for the first time in my lifetime (and for a long time thereafter). Keeling, Harris, Linterman — good times. My only memory before that is of the opening theme and visuals to broadcasts on CTV. I now know that the theme they used was "Give It One" by Maynard Ferguson (good Canadian content on top of good Canadian content). Go listen to the audio preview on iTunes and see if you remember it.
Just so you know, the Stamps-Argos Grey Cup game was in 1971 at Empire Stadium. The 1972 GC game was played in Hamilton. The Ti Cats defeated the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.