**Looks like a 15 team league by 2035 !!!!!! :)

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

**Looks like a 15 team league by 2035 !!!!!! :)

Post by ping » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

This is fantastic news, looks like there will be 15 teams in the cfl by 2035 !!! Ottawa, Quebec city,Red deer or Saskatoon,Kamloops,Windsor,Monton,Halifax or London will all be getting a team. What do you guys think of this. Argos will need a new stadium for sure now!!!

Here is the article

http://www.cp24.com/news/canada-ripe-fo ... s-1.926684
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: **Looks like a 15 team league by 2035 !!!!!! :)

Post by ping » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 am

As for the venerable CFL, new football franchises could stretch from Moncton and Halifax to Saskatoon, based on population and market trends. The wild card, say the authors, is the potential for a National Football League team in Toronto which would have "direct ramifications for the CFL's Argonauts and for the entire CFL" -- not to mention impacting any proposed second NHL team for the city.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/canada-ripe-fo ... z24OIIYIUZ
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am

Especially true since by then the CFL will only need 10K seating for games.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I see maybe 12 at the most but it sure would be nice to get to 10.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 am

I don't really give a damn about 2035. Live in the now people. Argos-Eskimos tonight.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

Oiler
Superstar

Post by Oiler » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 am

Ottawa's the only reality for now. QC maybe if they don't get an MHL team. Halifax seems more likely, but all new teams need owners and stadiums. None other than Ottawa have stadiums in excess of 20K.

294life
All Star

Re:

Post by 294life » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Oiler wrote:Ottawa's the only reality for now. QC maybe if they don't get an MHL team. Halifax seems more likely, but all new teams need owners and stadiums. None other than Ottawa have stadiums in excess of 20K.
agreed. :thup:

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 am

Its nice to project what may happen in the far future for the CFL but more important is looking at the near future of the CFL and that would mean getting to 10 teams. Since a Whole new fan base has arrised very quickly in the Province of Quebec over the past decade you can see what a huge difference getting the majority of the citizens, francophone, now suddenlty becoming football fans. Placing the games on RDS and the rise of three successful Francophone University teams have really spiked the TV ratings for Montreal games. This basically leaves only one region that is left to be conquered for a fan base and that is the Atlantic Region. Moncton games are nice but Halifax HMR in Nova Scotia Has the population to support a CFL franchise with its fan base extending into New Brunswick.
Priority One would be to get a stadium and a team in Halifax ASAP. Once the new TV deal is done and it is what I expect it to be for revenue for each team you will see more interest in ownership groups to want a CFL team because the status of the CFL will be one that will be a successful venture for business.
20 Years ago there were no CHL teams in the Atlantic region until a salesman from Moosehead was able to get the backing from Moosehead. The Atlantic region now has its own division within the Quebec Junior Hockey conference and the Halifax Mooseheads are one of the most successful teams in terms of attendance for games. The new Canadian Basketball league also has a team in Halifax. With a new stadium being built there will be more than just CFL football for its use. Currently Halifax and Nova Scotia are missing out on a international event in the womens soccer world cup As Montcon got the bid to be a host City do to having a stadium. Not ot mention the possibility of other teams and events that the venue could be used for. Pro soccer NASL or MLS, MLlacrose, and any other international bids the country may get coming down the line.
Next would be Quebec City as a Province with as big of a football fan base and QC being a top ten in Metro population a team should be there also.
The CFL will need to work on 10 and maybe 11 by 2020.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Re:

Post by Glenegade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Oiler wrote:Ottawa's the only reality for now. QC maybe if they don't get an MHL team. Halifax seems more likely, but all new teams need owners and stadiums. None other than Ottawa have stadiums in excess of 20K.
This is the reality, It can't be said any clearer than that,

It would be nice to see a team in both Quebec city, and Moncton/Halifax, but the after that, I can't see anything. London? I doubt it, I worry Windsor is too close to Detroit, but then again, I wonder if any real real hard die fans of football and sports would come over from Detriot to see games there,
I'm in Thunder Bay right now, and thought what a great isolated place to have a CFL team. but the problem is, the town's barely over 100K, so you'd almost need 1 in every 5 people to go to the game just to have 20,000 people there, I really doubt that would ever happen,

How about the Newfoundland Screechers!?!
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

294life
All Star

Re: Re:

Post by 294life » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Glenegade wrote: I'm in Thunder Bay right now, and thought what a great isolated place to have a CFL team. but the problem is, the town's barely over 100K, so you'd almost need 1 in every 5 people to go to the game just to have 20,000 people there, I really doubt that would ever happen
[/quote]

The Thunder Bay Bandits.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:29 pm

294life wrote:
Glenegade wrote: I'm in Thunder Bay right now, and thought what a great isolated place to have a CFL team. but the problem is, the town's barely over 100K, so you'd almost need 1 in every 5 people to go to the game just to have 20,000 people there, I really doubt that would ever happen
The Thunder Bay Bandits.
The Thunder Bay Gitche Gummi

Has a real ring to it...

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 am

294life wrote:
agreed. :thup:
:thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Oiler, 294life, and cflsteve:

Although I'd love to see a CFL team in Halifax, as I live here now, I really don't see it happening. I've just moved back here from New Brunswick but was living here before that for over 25 years. As much as we may have the population.....the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is a crappy sports city and has shown that historically for the last 30 years.

We had an ownership group interested in having a team here back in the mid 80's...They even had a name: The Atlantic Schooners. They were starting to jump over the preliminary hurdles that Ottawa has already cleared and then nothing happened because of the main stumbling block: no stadium or viable site and no support from local government at all.

Again in 2006, Halifax got everyone excited by bidding for the 2010 CommonWealth Games but were beat out by Hamilton. Halifax council shot the bid down themselves by not wanting to "spend money to make money". A stadium site had been picked out and everything. The mayor, Peter Kelley was to blame for most of the negative press on that one.

Halifax has been great hosting amateur and junior world events but doesn't want to seem to spend money for the future. That has always been the typical mindset here in Nova Scotia. They seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around spending money to progress along with the rest of the country.

Most of the guys here on this forum like Ping, Tigger, TiCatfan, FANatic, and myself can tell you that Moncton, New Brunswick put on a show 500% better for Touchdown Atlantic 2010 and 2011 than Halifax did in 2005 when HRM hosted the Argos and Ti-Cats for a pre-season game.

Halifax sucked because:
-There was no festival atmosphere in Halifax in 2005 whatsoever except the 13thman.com Meet-n-Greet JareCanada and I put together at Pedlers Pub with a silent auction for CFL-Fans-Fight-Cancer. :thdn:
-They had a real crappy, "what they wanted to call a tailgate party" full of corporate junk in the small parking lot at Husky stadium. :thdn:
-the local radio stations hardly knew what the hell was happening that weekend. :thdn:
-and the CFL itself didn't advertise or hype the event enough at the time. :? :0
-the geographical location of Halifax is horrible for the rest of the region because the next biggest city, Moncton, NB is 2 1/2 hours away and then Fredericton is 4 hours, Saint John is 4 hours, PEI is almost 3 hrs, and Sydney is almost 6 hours. :sleep:

Moncton, NB is better because:
-The city prepares for events like this far more in advance than Halifax and has won major events like concerts (Bruce Springsteen, Tim McGraw, AC/DC, U2...) from Halifax because Halifax beaurocrats drag their heels on issues. :beauty:
-Downtown Moncton Main Street was shut down each evening from Thursday to Saturday on Main Street to have an almost Grey Cup feel to the city. You couldn't get a Hotel room within 45 m in drive of the city ! :0 :beer: :yahoo: :tease: :canada:
-We had a "Football Weekend" celebration: 2 New Brunswick High school football games on Thurs and Fri night under the lights, a CIS game on Saturday, and then the CFL game, which have been both regular season games, not pre-season, which sucks. :woot: :pass:
-There were designated bars which branded themselves Argo House, Stamps HQ, Tiger-Cats Lair, and Eskie House. Spirit of Edmonton was there, Calgary Grey Cup pancake breakfast were there, the very first time outside of Calgary for a non Grey Cup event. :rammer:
Local TV, newspapers, and radio all over New Brunswick and the Maritimes were hyping the whole weekend almost a year in advance. :D :read:
-Moncton is a far better sports city because they actually went and built a 15,000 seat stadium, expandable to 21,000, with no CIS football or CFL team on the future's horizon.And the stadium is expandable for the future ! :cowboy: :read:
- Moncton, NB would be the next Regina ! It's geographical location is right in the centre of the Maritimes, hence it's nickname: "the-hub-of-the-Maritimes".
2 1/2 hrs from Halifax, 2 hrs from Fredericton, 2 hrs from Saint John, 2 1/2 hrs from PEI. Need I say more ? :yahoo:
-Plus, although we didn't have time to do a CFL-Fans-Fight-Cancer fundraiser, we did have a lot of fun at our CFL fan/13thman Meet-n-Greet with over 50 crazy CFL fans at the PumpHouse Brewery Pub. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :yahoo: :woot:

Want to know more about each city and province ? I was born in NB and lived in Halifax and outside of Moncton. I was brought up during my teen years going to Bomber games while living in Winnipeg. I've been to all 3 TouchDown Atlantic Games: 2005, 2010, and 2011. Been to a Grey Cup, 1990 in BC Place, and hope to get to more once I'm out of the NAVY.

Ping, Tigger, and Glenegade know what I'm talking about Moncton vs Halifax. :beer: :yahoo:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Isn't 2035 the year the Canadian government is going to make it illegal to smoke, or at least buy cigarettes?

2035 is a long way away,

I can see 9 teams again by 2014, but maybe 10 by 2020, hopefully we'll have 11 soon after, but after that, there's just no way to predict which city will deserve a team. You may as well say there'll be 70 teams by the year 3,000

I love the 11 team format, The only thing that will suck about it though, is my Ottawa ???? team will have no one to play opening day... It'll be The battle of Alberta, the battle on the praries, the battle of the QEW, Le Combat de Quebec, and the Clash of the Coasts. (The controversy of who sits on the real ocean will be settled on the football field!) Poor Ottawa has no one will hate them,

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 am

cflsteve wrote:Its nice to project what may happen in the far future for the CFL but more important is looking at the near future of the CFL and that would mean getting to 10 teams. Since a Whole new fan base has arrised very quickly in the Province of Quebec over the past decade you can see what a huge difference getting the majority of the citizens, francophone, now suddenlty becoming football fans. Placing the games on RDS and the rise of three successful Francophone University teams have really spiked the TV ratings for Montreal games. This basically leaves only one region that is left to be conquered for a fan base and that is the Atlantic Region. Moncton games are nice but Halifax HMR in Nova Scotia Has the population to support a CFL franchise with its fan base extending into New Brunswick.
Priority One would be to get a stadium and a team in Halifax ASAP. Once the new TV deal is done and it is what I expect it to be for revenue for each team you will see more interest in ownership groups to want a CFL team because the status of the CFL will be one that will be a successful venture for business.
20 Years ago there were no CHL teams in the Atlantic region until a salesman from Moosehead was able to get the backing from Moosehead. The Atlantic region now has its own division within the Quebec Junior Hockey conference and the Halifax Mooseheads are one of the most successful teams in terms of attendance for games. The new Canadian Basketball league also has a team in Halifax. With a new stadium being built there will be more than just CFL football for its use. Currently Halifax and Nova Scotia are missing out on a international event in the womens soccer world cup As Montcon got the bid to be a host City do to having a stadium. Not ot mention the possibility of other teams and events that the venue could be used for. Pro soccer NASL or MLS, MLlacrose, and any other international bids the country may get coming down the line.
Next would be Quebec City as a Province with as big of a football fan base and QC being a top ten in Metro population a team should be there also.
The CFL will need to work on 10 and maybe 11 by 2020.
Steve, you should see my post above about Halifax vs Moncton. Population and size doesn't always mean better. Look at how successful they are in Regina, smaller city than Halifax but they pull from the region. Unless you know the demograhics here in the Maritimes better than I do. I've lived in both provinces and both metro regions back and forth for the last 30 years. :cool:

Trust me when I say Halifax isn't a great sports city just because of its population. I'd more than love to have a CFL team here but they'd be folding the franchise in less than 5 years. Moncton, and the province of NB are more into football than Halifax is, has proved it already by building a 15,000 seat stadium that is readily expandable if the CFL comes calling. :beauty:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 am

I'm about 60% for the game in Moncton this summer, who's playing, will play a swing on it for me for sure. Now the year after, if Ottawa is there, we already have a large crew that will be going, I'm a 100% for that one! Exciting times ahead!