Rough Riders - Let's stick with tradition, and what makes our league unique
50%
Other Name - Rough Riders & Roughriders shouldn't be in the same league
50%

Total votes: 34

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Re: Ottawa Needs A Name...

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:11 am

How about the Zombies since they rose from the dead? :wink:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Glenegade wrote:
Solar Max wrote:As an Ottawa fan and son, there can be no other name than Rough Riders.

Those that ridicule the League for having two teams with similar names are rarely cfl fans, ergo imo their opinion is moot.

The two clubs were in different leagues before 1958; how many US college "Tigers" teams are there? Nobody ridicules that.

Our rightful name pisses off Jim Hopson and various Saskatchewan fans; as an Ottawa fan, I could not be more pleased about that.

Ottawa Rough Riders.
Very Well written,

Solar and I are quite different. I moved to Ottawa just in the last season of the Rough Rider, When we got the Renegades, I embrassed them and they became my team.
So I don't really have much history with the RR, but I do appreciate the history, and the uniqueness of our league. I would like it if that carried on,

As far as Saskatchewan fans, I've been to 11 Grey Cups in a row now and am just weeks away from my 12th, Wearing the colours proud at all the GC's, I have a lot of Saskatchewan fans asking me what the new name will be, Of course I can't say, because I'm not sure anyone knows, but I've been surprised how many have said they want us to come back as the Rough Riders! :beer:

Most Saskatchewan fans want Rough Riders in my experience ; it's just the young Sask fans and Hopson's grudge that prevents it.

Young fans worry about what their nfl friends will think. They haven't yet learned that said nfl fans don't really care about football, they care about image.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by Glenegade » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I hear so many going on about the name, Really the name's not important, what's important, is the team being run properly... and I want the colours more than anything, to me, I don't know if I could handle a colour change...
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 am

ArgoDave wrote:How about the Zombies since they rose from the dead? :wink:
Flesheaters sounds better. :beer:
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 am

I guess 13thman is now the unofficial ottawa cfl team fansite.

cflfandave
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by cflfandave » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:09 am

I'd love to see them return to the Rough Riders name but the CFL has already promised Saskatchewan that they won't. The ORR existed for 120 years and it was only during their last 10 years or so of their existence did I ever hear anyone complaing about having two teams with the same name. I even remember an announcer saying during the 1976 Grey Cup game between the Rough Riders (est. 1876) and the Roughriders (est. 1910) that having two teams with the same name was one of the many things that make the CFL so unique. I also wouldn't have any problems with them going back to the Renegades name but the new owners have already said that they want a bilingual name to help promote the team within their large Francophone community.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 am

les Rof Rad Hairs. just say it with a french accent.
Last edited by 294life on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

294life wrote:I guess 13thman is now the unofficial ottawa cfl team fansite.

Haha, ya true! I remember back in 2006, 6 years ago, saying we'd be back once our team was, and I'm sure there will be more knocking on the door soon, or walking back in...

And that laugh was kind of evil too!

pat
Rookie
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by pat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm

What do people in Ottawa think of the highlanders? I think that name came up a couple of weeks ago.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:10 am

pat wrote:What do people in Ottawa think of the highlanders? I think that name came up a couple of weeks ago.
'The Cameron Highlanders were stationed at Landsdowne Park before they left for the war and they helped clean out lockers and support the games.

Lt. Col Dave Kelly with the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa supports the proposed name.'

Full article- http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... um=twitter

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:19 am

pat wrote:What do people in Ottawa think of the highlanders? I think that name came up a couple of weeks ago.
I myself don't really like the sound of it, When I first heard of it I thought of it as some kind of Scottish name, it wasn't until I looked into that I saw it is military drived and deserves a lot of respect, but the problem is most people don't really look into what is behind the name.
Like Rough Rider, you ask almost any fan in the day, they couldn't tell you much more than it's about a football team, and most don't care about where the name came from.
The thing in Ottawa, is across the bridge, there's a population of over a 1/4 million there between Gatineau, Hull and Aylmer, all very very close. To me the Highlander's name is not bilingual, and in fact, by my understanding of the translantion into French, in how it is interpreted, could almost be looked at as a slap in the face to Quebec.

I imagine in about 16-18 months there will be all names brought up, and then we'll have a thread on here on what we think the name should be...

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 am

Voyageurs works well for that or maybe the name of the actual river the Outaouais. root root root for the oot oot oot.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm

294life wrote:maybe the name of the actual river the Outaouais. root root root for the oot oot oot.
You know, I like it!

I also like it because English Canada would have the hardest time pronouncing it... Let alone spelling it,

Ottawa Outaouais,

I like it because it's almost just the name of two cities,

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Voyageurs is good but what about something that isn't Rough Riders but still pays homage to that name ... Rougheans? Rough Boys? ... meh maybe not *lol
I own The Grey Cup! .com

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:14 am

Rough necks was once used for a lacrosse team. or maybe the Ruffles if that chip company wants to own part of the team. :wink: