The new Ottawa CFL team name, or
The location of the 2014 Grey Cup
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

cflfandave
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Future Grey Cup Location Speculation Thread

Post by cflfandave » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:09 am

I think the CFL has really been pushing their luck with outdoor GC games so my suggestion is a 3 year cycle. Since Toronto is the most important market in the CFL, the GC game should be played their every 3 years. Then either Montreal or Vancouver who would rotate and each city would get the game every 6 years. All the other cities would compete to get the game every 3rd year. All teams share profits from the GC game equally.
Year 1: Toronto.
Year 2: Montreal/Vancouver.
Year 3: All other cities.
Repeat.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

cflfandave wrote:I think the CFL has really been pushing their luck with outdoor GC games so my suggestion is a 3 year cycle. Since Toronto is the most important market in the CFL, the GC game should be played their every 3 years. Then either Montreal or Vancouver who would rotate and each city would get the game every 6 years. All the other cities would compete to get the game every 3rd year. All teams share profits from the GC game equally.
Year 1: Toronto.
Year 2: Montreal/Vancouver.
Year 3: All other cities.
Repeat.
I agree and have mentioned similar suggestions about the indoor venues. The indoor venues are also in the three biggest metro areas which get a lot of media exposure. If you want southern Ontario to become more of a CFL area bringing the cup there ever three years or so would certainly gain their attention. Also agree with profit sharing among the teams from direct Grey Cup revenue. The CFL is approaching rapidly approaching this type of set up in which it will be far more profitable for all of the franchises. Also getting to the big three locations Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal are much easier then say Regina. especially when it comes to the east and train travel from the to largely populated provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Rail Travel from Montreal to Toronto and vice versa gives these two large metro cities convienent transportation to both.
Could you have seen the haltime show if it were in Regina this year.

Your set up looks perfect :good:

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I dunno, seems too close together considering the normal lack of interest in the cfl from those cities. I don't mind waiting every 8 years. makes it more special.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Those are the biggest cities in Canada and for the league to continue to grow they will need to become more of a presence in them. The timing is ripe for the CFL to continue to gain popularity in the southern Ontario region which has two CFL franchises that are the two that have been struggling.
Montreal is another key to possibily show Quebec City just how exciting and how much revenue can be made from having a CFL team in there city.
For Vancuver the excitement of the Vanier cup could show the other Universities in BC how much a football program at there school would mean. With the Campus in kelewona/Okanagon now being owned by UBC and the Okanagun Sun already with a healthy non profit, a stadium, and a good following in the BCFC that making the move to join UBC Okanagan and the Sun could be an exciting venture for both. The new University will have a lead sport like football and the Sun Organization will have a chance to play in a conference whose games are shown on a weekly basis in Can west on ShawTV and playoffs which wcould include National TV coverage. tadiums like Griffiths at U of S new pro facilities at U Regina and U Manitoba.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by Glenegade » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 pm

294life wrote:I dunno, seems too close together considering the normal lack of interest in the cfl from those cities. I don't mind waiting every 8 years. makes it more special.
You know what? I'm agreeing with this, give Montreal a few losing seasons and watch the interest drop if it was the same 3 cities repeating. I've gone to 12 Grey Cups in a row now, I don't think I would be interested to go as much if I was going to the same city every 3 years,

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Well we see what happens. It has been back to back years inside in conforts, in Big Cities with lots to do and plenty of rooming options. Times are changing fans like the comfort we will se if it is 30 below in a snow storm next year out in the prairies. Saskatchewan was smart, although they could not afford to build a stadium at this time that can be enclosed the stadium will be built so one can be added at a later time.
By then there may be someone who comes up with a type of cover that can be placed on the stadium in the winter months and then removed for the summer months at a much more reasonable cost. Remember that is how the Big Owe was first enclosed with a crude huge tarp pulled over the hole on top.
Saskatchewan is already building some new hotels this time around that are hopefully ready for the grey cup. SO although it is the smallest of all cities it will have an enclosed stadium to barter with. It is a lot colder in the prairies region then in the east. \

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:58 am

So it looks like Sarnia's due to host a Grey Cup... Just saying,

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:27 am

Hey CFL Steve? &
CFL Fan Dave? How many Grey Cups do you guys attend? How often do you go? I just ask because a friend of mine and I were just talking, and he was saying how he likes it stays fresh by going to a new city each year,
I know what you're saying, it maybe for the best of the league and may actually happen that way, Hell, we can prove that by having Justine Beiber at the last Grey Cup, but supposedly that is what is best for the league,
I guess it just depends on whether yiu're looking at it from a fan's or the league's perspective,

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 pm

As the thread topic is speculation that is what we are all just doing specualting. I would doubt very much that it will be in Toronto every three years but I can see every 5 years well as every 5 years in Vancouver and Montreal. having the grey cup outdoors every other year is what will most likely happen or maybe two out door in a row every now and again for specific things like showing off a new stadium or playing in Ottawa on the 150th countrise B day. We are just 4 or 5 people discussing this which is not a very big representation. Big cities will get bigger events more often than not and the Grey cup is a big event.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:52 pm

cflsteve wrote:As the thread topic is speculation that is what we are all just doing specualting.
Ya true, and I'm glad the thread is here, because I see what you've written possibly becoming a reality, and I have never thought of that format. I just have thought of it rotating around as it has for the past 20 years, It wasn't that long ago, it was almost like what you talk about, really rotating through the new domes,

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:03 pm

I can see it going like this.

Toronto
outdoor
montreal
outdoor
vancouver

then back to Toronto and start the rotation. It wont be like this for the next couple of years because in 2014 they would want to show off the new Winnipeg stadium. 2017 Ottawa for the 150th bday and somewhere in there Hamiltons pan Am stade would want to be shown off. The league will have a Grey Cup Comittee and the Grey Cup revenue spread evenly for all of the teams. This way Toronto and Hamilton wont have to wait to host the Grey cup to make up for lost money each year with the bigger venues making more money they will be closer to breaking at least even each year. Even though Commonwealth in Edmonton is outside and they are putting in new larger seating the venue will still hold over 50k with no need to put in temp seats.

cflfandave
Playground Scrub

Post by cflfandave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Glenegade wrote:Hey CFL Steve? &
CFL Fan Dave? How many Grey Cups do you guys attend? How often do you go? I just ask because a friend of mine and I were just talking, and he was saying how he likes it stays fresh by going to a new city each year,
I know what you're saying, it maybe for the best of the league and may actually happen that way, Hell, we can prove that by having Justine Beiber at the last Grey Cup, but supposedly that is what is best for the league,
I guess it just depends on whether yiu're looking at it from a fan's or the league's perspective,
I'm looking at it from a fan's perspective who wants what's best for Our League. I'm an Argo fan whose had season tickets since 1988 and Ticats season tickets since 1995 and attend at least 20 CFL games each season. When SkyDome opened in 1989, the Argos were awarded the GC game for that year and for 1992 and were suppose to continue to host the game every 3 years after that. The League made a huge mistake by not going back to Toronto for 15 years after the 1992 game didn't sell out. We need to have the game in the 3 largest markets on a regular basis to promote the CFL in those cities since those are the toughest markets to sell tickets for regular season games. Not only do the Argos have to compete against the other teams in the CFL, they also have to compete against the Leafs, Jays, Raptors and the Bills for ticket sales. There are alot of people in the Toronto area that won't go to Argo games simply because they believe that as long as the Argos exist, the NFL won't put a team in Toronto. With all the improvements the Jays have made in the last couple of months, I'm already concerned that 2013 will be 1992 all over again for the Argos when they were completely ignored by the sports fans of Toronto because of success of the Jays that year.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 am

The CFL has changed so much since 1992 and all grey cups will be sold out no matter where they are at havinting roll through the three biggest markets montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver every other year while giving the other cities a taste in years 2 and 4 in the rotation will be perfect

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Glenegade wrote:
294life wrote:I dunno, seems too close together considering the normal lack of interest in the cfl from those cities. I don't mind waiting every 8 years. makes it more special.
You know what? I'm agreeing with this, give Montreal a few losing seasons and watch the interest drop if it was the same 3 cities repeating. I've gone to 12 Grey Cups in a row now, I don't think I would be interested to go as much if I was going to the same city every 3 years,
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Moving the game around has worked very well for the league over the last decade or so. There hasn't been a Grey Cup with lots of empty seats since 1999 in Vancouver and the league has gotten back to the point where the host team does not have to be in the game for it to sell out. Keep moving the game around. That is one of the things that makes the Grey Cup the great event that it is.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!