Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Future Grey Cup Location Speculation Thread

Post by Glenegade » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't think I've ever seen them take this long to announce a Grey Cup, We knew the Saskatchewan Grey Cup about 14 months ago,

Red is confirmed,
Blue is speculated, by the 13thman, or let us know your source

2013 Saskatchewan
2014 Winnipeg
2015 Hamilton
2016 Calgary
2017 Ottawa (Pretty much assured and placed on Canada's 150th birthday)
2018 Montreal
2019 Edmonton
2020 Toronto
2021 Vancouver
2022 Halifax
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Future Grey Cup Location Speculation Thread

Post by Glenegade » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 am

Here's a good thing to write about in the Grey Cup Future Location Thread,

Does anyone have any idea when they're suppose to announce the location of the 2014 Grey Cup?

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Glenegade wrote:Don't think I've ever seen them take this long to announce a Grey Cup, We knew the Saskatchewan Grey Cup about 14 months ago,

Red is confirmed,

2013 Saskatchewan
2014 Winnipeg
2015 Hamilton
2016 Calgary
2018 Montreal
2019 Edmonton
2020 Toronto
2021 Vancouver
2022 Halifax
Great post. let the speculation begin.
2014 in Winnipeg would be the way to go. although it is back to back years in the prairies the CFL will want to show case its newest venue.
2015 after two ouside games in the Prairies it will be time to come east and although Hamilton will have its new venue ready the southern Ontario Region will be hosting the Pan Am games in 2015 so I like Montreal and the BIG O for 2015. I like the BIG O in 2015 for a few reasons. First, it is an indoor facility and after two games on the prairies a non element Grey Cup will be in order. second, it is very close to Ottawa in its second season giving the Ottawa football community to come enjoy Grey cup week with the short and convinient train travel. Third, The CFL will be looking to break the attendence record for the Grey CUP. The Big O is the biggest venue and Grey Cup will be an assured sell out theses days. fourth, the Vanier cup with Laval a good possibility could be looking at breaking a vanier cup record again.

Calgary will be hard pressed to get the Grey Cup until they do something with the stadium.
2016 Hamilton new stade
2017 Ottawa 150 years celebration.
2018 Edmonton/BC
2019 Edmonton/BC after three years in the east back to back in the west
2020 back to Toronto and Rogers centre. At this point the CFL will either change the way the revenue for the Grey cup is divided. with more games wanting to be played in bigger cities and indoor venues. Toronto will get the game revenue under the old metod for the last time or it will be the first year that game day revenue will be divided equally among the league as having the game in one of the three biggest cities more often will be financially better for all involved for the CFL

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by ping » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 am

Hamilton will not be seeing the cup before Toronto, thats for sure. I would say Toronto will see the cup every 3-4 years now!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:57 am

ping wrote:Hamilton will not be seeing the cup before Toronto, thats for sure. I would say Toronto will see the cup every 3-4 years now!
I thought the same thing about Toronto but I was more thinking every 5 years giving the two other Big cities Vancouver and Montreal also every 5 years with an outdoor smaller city venue mixed in if possible but I think that will all start once all of the new venues get their chance to host in their new facilities at least once.
Also if they do continue to have the home team get all of the profit from the game then if Toronto and Hamilton still need the Cup to make money then Toronto may get to host the cup but will need to play in Rogers centre. It may not domuch for the city of Hamilton itself but it would be a money maker for the Ti Cats. Rogers Centre may not b the best football venue for a crowd of 25,000 but sold out it is a good venue for any sport with the comforts of being inside

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

Montreal before Calgary.

the two cities have expressed interest in hosting the 2013 Vanier cup since it won't be in regina.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm

294life wrote:Montreal before Calgary.

the two cities have expressed interest in hosting the 2013 Vanier cup since it won't be in regina.
You know what I would love to see?

Have the Vanier Cup play in Montreal, When ever the Grey Cup is, and have the Vanier Cup at Molson stadium!
CFL fans all across the country hear about what a nice little stadium Molson stadium is, and here's their chance.
The Vanier Cup would be sold out! and fans would get to see Montreal's regular home stadium, and then the Grey Cup the next day, and there's none of the *meadow muffin* about not being able to have it the day before because there's not enough time to prepare the field,

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 pm

It would be a tough sell to have the Vanier cup in Calgary due to the weather conditions in regards to attendance. The Calgary Stampeders did not even sell out a playoff game against the Riders. With the crowd size the last two seasons with games being indoors and with the Grey cup were fantastic. Even 24,000 at BC place with tow teams from the east in MAC and Laval.
There were many concerns when the Vanier was in Saskatoon what kind of attendance would there have been if the U of S did not participate in the Vanier that year. The Hardy cup was hosted by the Dino's at McMahon and the crowd was sparce with the weather surely a factor. Come out east for both conference finals and both Mac and Laval had sellouts. Mac at 6-7 thou and Laval a standard 15 thou or so.
MRX and Ti Cats owner Bob Young has reserved the right to hold the Vanier at the expanded Guelph University. It may come down to how much Guelph can be expanded to attendence. It is also not too far from Toronto where there is easy access for those who travel either by train from Montreal or other parts of Ontario and also a major airport in Toronto but shuttle may have to be set up to get the fans from Toronot to the game in Guelph.
If the game were held in Montreal public trans train has a stop right at the Big O not sure how transportation for those traveling if the game were to be held at McGill.
For a TV audience which also set a Vanier record this year a saturday game may be needed to be held in the afternoon before Hockey night in Canada begins on Saturday night.
The one thing that os good about this is the amount of interest their is in hosting a vanier cup now even without it being attatched to a grey Cup. SO these are all good problems to have.
for having a vanier Cup in the West BC Place is the only enclosed venue and there is only 6 universities in football from the west part of Canada and only one in BC.
Which leads me to my next post will the CanWest be looking to expand to Universities in BC. Curently some Junior teams began giving scholarships to Universities in the area to play Junior football in the BCFC but the 7 to 5 rule has put a big hit on the Junior programs and will some of these programs follow the lead of the Regina rams and take there non profit funding set up for football and bring it to the University in the area where recruits will stay for 5 years in the CIS and also CIS schools are now getting major sponsors from Under Armour, Addidas, Russel, and Nike which now pay for all of the universities sports equipment and Uniforms for schools with foorball programs. Money that used to come out of the Athletic budget for equipment and Uniforms can now be spent on other things.
Every team in the OUA has a one of these companies as major sponsors with the score Televising an OUA game of the week Nationally. The Cansest also gets good television coverage from Shaw TV with a game of the week televised in the west.

hfxbomberfan
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by hfxbomberfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:27 am

I agree with most of the above statements.

Gotta go to the newest venue in 2014 which will be Winnipeg's new Investors Group Field. :beg:
CFL in Moncton, 2013, TD Atlantic #4 ! ! !

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 am

hfxbomberfan wrote:I agree with most of the above statements.

Gotta go to the newest venue in 2014 which will be Winnipeg's new Investors Group Field. :beg:
Will you go?

I have to warn you though, You may not be able to wear your old jacket though, GreyCupBankerBabe loves that jacket and won't let anyone else wear it!

Got to admit though, She sure does make it look good,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Glenegade wrote:Don't think I've ever seen them take this long to announce a Grey Cup, We knew the Saskatchewan Grey Cup about 14 months ago,

Red is confirmed,

2013 Saskatchewan
2014 Winnipeg
2015 Hamilton
2016 Calgary
2018 Montreal
2019 Edmonton
2020 Toronto
2021 Vancouver
2022 Halifax
Yeah, I think it's a pretty good list. Good thinking for the 150th Anniversary.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm

This maybe something that helps,
Grey Cup host cities
City..... Games...First...Last...Next
Toronto 46........ 1909. 2012
Vancouver 15.... 1955. 2011
Hamilton 10....... 1910. 1996
Montreal 8 .........1931 .2008
Ottawa 6 ...........1925. 2004
Calgary 4 ..........1975. 2009
Edmonton 4....... 1984. 2010
Winnipeg 3........ 1991 2006
Regina 2........... 1995. 2003 2013
Kingston 1......... 1922 1922
Sarnia 1............ 1933 1933
The 1940 Grey Cup was a two-game series.
Toronto and Ottawa each hosted a game.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

The CFL will want to show off its new stadiums on the Big Stage that is the Grey Cup but after that the Biggest sporting Event in Canada should be held in the Biggest cities with the Biggest media, as well as the biggest and most comfortable venues for the fans. Meaning that Toronto, BC, and Montreal should host a majority of the grey cups in the future. In kow that teams will want to host to generate revenue for their city. If the CFL wants to become big time it will need to do this.
As for game revenue I can for see in the future that at least the revenue for the game itself be shared among the franchises.
Times are changing in modern pro sports and the CFL will need to continue.
There are other Big events in Canada in which these cities can host events that will bring revenue to the cities but the Grey Cup at the end of November in a freezing Prairies City is just not one of them.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Glenegade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 pm

cflsteve wrote:2020 back to Toronto and Rogers centre. At this point the CFL will either change the way the revenue for the Grey cup is divided. with more games wanting to be played in bigger cities and indoor venues. Toronto will get the game revenue under the old metod for the last time or it will be the first year that game day revenue will be divided equally among the league as having the game in one of the three biggest cities more often will be financially better for all involved for the CFL
I agree with the revenue sharing as far as the ticket sales and other accountable revenues, but there is so much money spent else where,
The influx of people from across the country is estimated to have an economic impact of over $120 million for the region hosting the championship game
"Grey Cup's $123M Touchdown." Grey Cup's $123M Touchdown. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2012.

To the little towns, this is so significant. I hope they don't go to the big city format. I, and so many others like myself that go, love this country, and this is the best way to share and experience it all together,

Can't wait to go back to Regina for my second time...

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 pm

294life wrote:Montreal before Calgary.-0;'

Montreal before Calgary for sure. There are some who would like to see it at a smaller venue like McGill but I think that the fans attending the Vanier Cup really enjoyed having in in the comforts of an indoor stadiumdeeeeeeee. Laval an obvious favorite to get to the Vanier Cup could certainly fill 15-20 thou seats themsleves as organized through the Corporation whether it be VIA Rail Canada, Bus trip, or just driving the 2 1/2 hours.
The OUA teams are looking tough again as a whole. I think you are going to see a more organized effort from the Universities through travel agencies most likely through the Rail Canada to have plans in place ahead of time if they know their team has a chance to get to the Vanier to get thousand of students, alum, and communities to the Vanier cup. With the greatest game ever in 2011 and the rematch in Toronto with a record breaking crowd the Vanier is taking on a life of its own.
If a CW team beats a OUA team in the semis the crowd would be smaller of course.
In 2014 the semis I believe between the CW and the AUS so having the vanier paired with the Grey at Investors in Winnipeg would work out having the Vanier in the west.