If You Could Change 1 Rule For Next Year, What Would It Be?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: If You Could Change 1 Rule For Next Year, What Would It

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:51 pm

You guys are missing the point about the single point. The way to look at it is that you get a point for kicking the ball into the endzone and limiting the return and you get two bonus points if you kick it through the uprights.

One rule change I would make is to force teams to kickoff from their own 20 or maybe even the 15 after giving up a safety touch. The league has managed to reduce the numbers of conceded safeties since moving the kickoff back to the 25 but I wouldn't mind seeing it go back another five or ten yards which would likely get rid of conceded safeties entirely and also end the practice of the punters running around in the endzones.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Postby Glenegade » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:You guys are missing the point about the single point. The way to look at it is that you get a point for kicking the ball into the endzone and limiting the return and you get two bonus points if you kick it through the uprights.

One rule change I would make is to force teams to kickoff from their own 20 or maybe even the 15 after giving up a safety touch. The league has managed to reduce the numbers of conceded safeties since moving the kickoff back to the 25 but I wouldn't mind seeing it go back another five or ten yards which would likely get rid of conceded safeties entirely and also end the practice of the punters running around in the endzones.

Thos is exactly what I've been tryong to say, I don't want the rule taken away, I want it adjusted so teams don't find it desirable to concede the point, they should change it so the players have the desire to get it out of the endzone. Whether running, or kicking it, dropping to one knee and making the play dead is so NFL, and giving up a point says the whole structure is wrong,
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

All Star

Postby 294life » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Glenegade wrote:
294life wrote:If the kicker manages to kick it as far as the end zone his team should be rewarded for it. generosity is the canadian way.

I'd just like to see them make more of an effort to get it out of the end zone. Ever see a game where they kick it back out? Wasn't that Montreal and Toronto last season?

this was classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm

294life wrote:
Glenegade wrote:
294life wrote:If the kicker manages to kick it as far as the end zone his team should be rewarded for it. generosity is the canadian way.

I'd just like to see them make more of an effort to get it out of the end zone. Ever see a game where they kick it back out? Wasn't that Montreal and Toronto last season?

this was classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

Haha! Ya! That was awesome! Loved that! Way more exciting than a guy just conceding a point,

This shows why the endzone is a lot longer than 20 yards when kicking it out! You had two players at the back of that 20 yard end zone who jumped up and tipped the ball back into play, I'm sure that ball would have gone close to 25 yards, not counting the diaganol yards, and it still wasn't kicked far enough.

When was that game?

All Star

Postby 294life » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 am

october 29 2010. Game didn't matter to either team. It's funny to watch that and know what was going to happen 2 years later.

Superstar

Postby Cool » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

The number of games.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Cool wrote:The number of games.

Do I assume you would want less?

Superstar

Postby Cool » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:08 am

Glenegade wrote:
Cool wrote:The number of games.

Do I assume you would want less?

Yep.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 pm

As much as I agree with you, I would have a hard time having less of it,

That's almost like saying, if you want to improve your sex life, have less of it...

Superstar

Postby Cool » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Glenegade wrote:As much as I agree with you, I would have a hard time having less of it,

That's almost like saying, if you want to improve your sex life, have less of it...

Good analogy.

Gotta tighten it up...

All Star

Postby 294life » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am

Less games is not likely going to happen with the revenues the games generate. especially with ottawa coming in this will be the final year of seeing teams playing each other 4 times in a season.

Starter

Postby Dave in Korea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Glenegade wrote:As much as I agree with you, I would have a hard time having less of it,

I guess that would mean I have the best sex life possible! :good:

I'd like to see INTs downed in the endzone not be given free yardage. Start the next possession at the one-yard line . . . or treat it similar to a rouge and give them 25 yards but make it cost them a point for downing the ball in their endzone.
Dream out loud.

All Star

Postby 294life » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm

If you throw an interception why should you be rewarded with a point? But then seeing as you get rewarded for missing a field goal that might actually make sense.

Hall of Famer

Postby Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 am

294life wrote:If you throw an interception why should you be rewarded with a point? But then seeing as you get rewarded for missing a field goal that might actually make sense.

Regarding the rouge, you are properly rewarded for moving the ball down the field. That is an excellent rule that should never be changed IMO. As for a rouge on an INT that is not returned out of the endzone, that may not be a bad idea.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Starter

Postby Dave in Korea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:16 pm

294life wrote:If you throw an interception why should you be rewarded with a point? But then seeing as you get rewarded for missing a field goal that might actually make sense.

Teams are not rewarded for missing a field goal and wouldn't be rewarded for throwing an INT. Teams would be rewarded for preventing the defending team from keeping the ball from passing and being downed beyond their goal line, just like other sports (soccer, hockey, etc.).

As the current INT rule stands, defending teams are actually punished (no free yards) for preventing the ball from passing their goal line while teams that do allow the ball past their goal line are rewarded (with free yards). Does that make sense?
Dream out loud.

PreviousNext

Return to Canadian Professional Football