If You Could Change 1 Rule For Next Year, What Would It Be?

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

2014 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

If You Could Change 1 Rule For Next Year, What Would It Be?

Postby Glenegade » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I would get rid of the stupid single point rule that teams take instead of punting.

Make them pouch off their own 10 yard line.

And I really really hate the punter running around the endzone, running out the clock, even though their team is trailing by 5 points in the first quarter, like as if he's so cool,
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

Rookie

Re: If You Could Change 1 Rule For Next Year, What Would It

Postby cflsteve » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 pm

I would have each team add an 8th practice roster spot designated for Canadian QBs only. That would give teams a spot within the organization to further develop the Canadian QBs that they bring to camp under the rule that Canadian are non counters towards the training camp roster of players eligible for the upcoming season. This will not affect the ratio at all or the current roster set up with QBs on the 46 man not counting toward the ratio.

Rookie
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby pat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 am

Pass interference. It needs to change in Canada and the U.S. Also at the pro level it is a spot foul so if you get a questionable call on 2nd and long its a 37 yard penalty vs the defence. I don't like that.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 pm

cflsteve wrote:I would have each team add an 8th practice roster spot designated for Canadian QBs only. That would give teams a spot within the organization to further develop the Canadian QBs that they bring to camp under the rule that Canadian are non counters towards the training camp roster of players eligible for the upcoming season. This will not affect the ratio at all or the current roster set up with QBs on the 46 man not counting toward the ratio.

Man! Love this rule, Do what we can to get some Canadians at the qb position. Right now, most teams look at the first way to rate whether a qb will be good is, whether he is Canadian, or American. Give the Canadian boys a chance at least,

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:56 pm

pat wrote:Pass interference. It needs to change in Canada and the U.S. Also at the pro level it is a spot foul so if you get a questionable call on 2nd and long its a 37 yard penalty vs the defence. I don't like that.

I've always hated the way this rule is called, The ball being placed right at the spot of the offence...
But what if they're in the end zone? By that thinking it should be an automatic touch down... but it's not, so what's the difference,
but getting back to the one where it's automatically spotted at the spot of the foul, who's to say 100% if the foul had been avoided, he would have caught it 100%? I say, take the ball, and and spot it half way to the spot of the foul, and no loss of down, if it's not a first down, and time could even stay on the clock.

All Star

Postby CFL in Quebec » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Screening should not be a fault.

Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Postby cflfandave » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 am

CFL in Quebec wrote:Screening should not be a fault.

I agree. I think that screening is a great defensive play but I don't think it'll change if it means fewer completions and more incompletions.

Playground Scrub

Postby cflfandave » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:38 am

I like the CIS rule that encourages all kicks into the end zone to be returned. Even if the kick returner is tackled at his own 1 yard line (or anywhere between his goal line and the 20 year line) the kick return team gets the ball at their own 20 yard line. Any kick return is more exciting than seeing the kick returner kneel down in the end zone.

All Star

Postby 294life » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Glenegade wrote:I would get rid of the stupid single point rule that teams take instead of punting.

Make them pouch off their own 10 yard line.

And I really really hate the punter running around the endzone, running out the clock, even though their team is trailing by 5 points in the first quarter, like as if he's so cool,

I suggest you not post this on riderfans, unless you're suicidal. :wink:
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

Playground Hero
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Postby Mallard » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 am

I would change the single point rule, not eliminate it. I'd have the single on any kick changed so that there's no point awarded if the ball is not returnable by going out of bounds in the endzone on it's own. I would, however, keep the single whenever a player downs the ball in the endzone and elects not to return it.

All Star

Postby 294life » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:18 pm

If the kicker manages to kick it as far as the end zone his team should be rewarded for it. generosity is the canadian way.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:25 pm

294life wrote:If the kicker manages to kick it as far as the end zone his team should be rewarded for it. generosity is the canadian way.

I'd just like to see them make more of an effort to get it out of the end zone. Ever see a game where they kick it back out? Wasn't that Montreal and Toronto last season?

Playground Scrub

Postby cflfandave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:00 pm

294life wrote:If the kicker manages to kick it as far as the end zone his team should be rewarded for it. generosity is the canadian way.

I agree. It's the responsibility of the kick return team to return the ball out of the end zone or give up a single point. The kicking team should still get a single point if the ball goes through the end zone. Kicking the ball "too far" should not be a bad thing.

2014 MVP

Postby Glenegade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Ya, I agree with you guys on that, just what I'm sayong is I'd like to see them make more of an effort to not give up that single point,

Playground Scrub

Postby cflfandave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 pm

I'd like to see the rule eliminated that says the offence must have 7 players on the line of scrimmage. I've seen too many penalties for "illegal formation, no end" resulting in some exciting plays being called back. I think that as long as the centre, 2 guards, and 2 tackles are on the LOS, that should be acceptable. I actually suggested this in a letter to former commissioner Tom Wright several years ago. Does anybody see any problems with this?

Next

Return to Canadian Professional Football