Aggos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not coming

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

cflsteve
Rookie

Aggos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not coming

Post by cflsteve » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Rogers has found that placing grass in Rogers Centre may not be feasable or possible. They are part of an MLB experiment in which MLB and a Field Turf Company have recently provided Rogers Center with the turf for free and MLB will be promoting it.
Leaves the Argos in good shape even with Limited dates and not the best venue for football it has modern amenities and an enclosed retractable roof that is something that players may enjoy. It Also will keep the Argos with out the worry of finding funding they do not have for a new or revamped venue in the Toronto for the Argos.
With the Limited dates and some poor weeknight dates that will draw even less than usual attendance the Argos should serieously be looking to signing on as the home team host for the TD Atlantic for an experimental 3 or 4 years where the revenue from the TD Atlantic could become very
lucrative for the Argos with a pre scheduled plan over three years involving a game vs the Montreal Alouttes giving those who want to travle and make plans to attend from either Toronto or Montreal some notice well in advance.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Re: Aggos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not com

Post by D » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Why can't they play where TFC plays? Any other options besides RC?
I own The Grey Cup! .com

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm

BMO Field was built to soccer specific specifications and the playing field is not nearly big enough for the CFL field dimensions. They poured concrete where the end zones would be and placed permanent seating there. The cost now to adapt it has been said to be about 40 million dollars or more. These are the kinds of figures that MLSE reps have said. Its just not a feasable project and the Argos certainly do not have the money and the City and government have already spent to build all the projects they will be for a while with the facikities going up for the Pan AM.
They have will have a 25K seat stadium in Hamilton in which the Tiger cats are paying half to make it CFL size. York will have a prmanent 5,000 seat all purpose field with a 400m track expandable to 12.5k with temp seats. The city also has Varsity stadium on U of T campus and of course the 50K rogers center.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am

They're looking at York University as a possibility.
Grey Cup 102. Back to school.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 am

294life wrote:They're looking at York University as a possibility.
As for the possibility of York that would most likely only be done out of neccessity if they were to be forced to leave Rogers Center due to the instilation of natural grass. In order to move to york they would have to bring the capcity to the 25K along with Suites and club boxes. The cost would be similar or even more than what the Ti Cats had to add to paying the extra cost of making Pan Am stadium what it is. I do not know the exact figures off the top of my head but the building of Pan AM in Hamilton is coming at a total cost of 150 million. The Ti Cats had to pay about half so it would most likely cost the Argos about 70 million to expand the York sight.
As long as Rogers Centre is available the Argos get a pretty suite deal when it comes to the leasing of the venue for games but Rogers makes it up by dipping their hands into the parking and concessions for Argo Games.
This is what makes the TV deal so important as it is profit sharing throughout the CFL with each team guarenteed X amount of dollars before a ticket is sold. The same goes for League corporate sponsors and League Merchandise sales.
If they were to add profit sharing of the grey cup revenue that would bring the Argos and Hamilton that much closer to not losing money. With games in Vancouver and Toronto profiting from over 50,000 seats as well as suites and montreal at Olympic well over 60,000 would be in attendance.

The Argos will not be leaving Rogers any time soon as it is just cost fesable for them to use the venue.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 am

One place I visited in Thornhill at Brebeuf College has a nice big terrain at the back of the school. Had a 'field of dreams' moment there. Who's in? :wink:

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm not a fan of Rogers and I don't like the way they treat fans at their venues either. I think Argo popularity would sky rocket if they could find the right venue. Hopefully something comes up I would love to see a storyy simular to what has happened in Montreal.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 am

D wrote:I'm not a fan of Rogers and I don't like the way they treat fans at their venues either. I think Argo popularity would sky rocket if they could find the right venue. Hopefully something comes up I would love to see a storyy simular to what has happened in Montreal.
I agree 100% but the hard lock argos were not a priority in two recent projects. A chance to return to Varcity Blues stafe on the U of T campus but fell through as the Univesuty decided on a smaller venue. BMO field a govt built venue allowed MLSE to dictate the terms to make it an all soccer venue with Soccer in the MLS entering Canada for the first time while connecting with Soccer Canada as the National teams main practice facility.
Finally the Pan AM games allowed Hamilton to biggie back off af the venue in Hamiton as the Ti Cats put up about half of the cost to expand to a 25K venue with modern Amenities. While the venue builton York campus could have been persuaded to do the same but the 59 million or so cost is somethng that the Argos just do not have . So for now it will be RC

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by Glenegade » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:06 am

D wrote:I'm not a fan of Rogers and I don't like the way they treat fans at their venues either. I think Argo popularity would sky rocket if they could find the right venue. Hopefully something comes up I would love to see a storyy simular to what has happened in Montreal.
Yup I agree too! Aren't they charged the most in the league for using their home stadium? And it's a crummy stadium for football, and they're given the garbage that's left over that nobody else wants? It is like RC is laughing at them as suckers. I don't know where they can go off hand, but I sure would like to see them looking.
Follow.Montreal's success!
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 am

Glenegade wrote:
Yup I agree too! Aren't they charged the most in the league for using their home stadium? And it's a crummy stadium for football, and they're given the garbage that's left over that nobody else wants? It is like RC is laughing at them as suckers. I don't know where they can go off hand, but I sure would like to see them looking.
Follow.Montreal's success!
I think in the CFLs grande sceme of things the finding of a football type CFL new stadium has moved down the list of priorities with franchise that had crumbling stadiums and those 100 years old moving up the latter as well as a 10th franchise and a stadium for that team in whatever city should finally step forward.
As for the leasing of the stadium there is all different speculations but for the most part Rogers dows want the Argos there as a second full time tenant and although they get the left over dates the Argos and the CFL have learned to deal with that. As for the price the lease I believe is on the cheaper side money wise to keep the Argos there but Rogers does take a nice share of the parking and concessions.
The more reason that a good TV deal, more league corporate sponsors, sale of CFL oficial merchandise continues to all grow t=so that the Argos the profit sharing portion of the CFL will move the Argos closer and closer to breaking even. Grey Cup run by a CFL comittee and equal profit sharing among teams may be in the near future will be another way for every team to get an equal share.
The cities themselves can put in bids to the CFL for the revenue the Cup will bring for the city but the actual Grey cup revenue itself will be shared among the teams equally

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 am

D wrote: I would love to see a story similar to what has happened in Montreal.
There would have to be less than 10,000 people attending argo games first.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 am

294life wrote:
The biggest difference is that percival already had a 20,000 seat capacity to begin with so to begin play there there was no renovations that needed to take place right away. The Argo options on the campus of the two Toronto Universities are not close to having this accommodation easily. There was talk about that before Varsity Blues Stade was rebuilt but a much smaller venue was chosen. Unfortunate but true :?

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by Glenegade » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 am

cflsteve wrote:
294life wrote:
The biggest difference is that percival already had a 20,000 seat capacity to begin with so to begin play there there was no renovations that needed to take place right away. The Argo options on the campus of the two Toronto Universities are not close to having this accommodation easily. There was talk about that before Varsity Blues Stade was rebuilt but a much smaller venue was chosen. Unfortunate but true :?
I think he is talking about the attendance that was at Olympic Stadium which drove them to move,
and by 10,000, I think he means almost closer to 5,000,
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes I get that but moving to percival was more realistic because it could seat 20,000 and not just 5,000.
Actually the move to Percival came by chance. The Als were set to play a playoff game at home but Olympic had a big concert scheduled there and forced the move to the McGill campus stadium. The fans liked it so much they made their voices heard and here we are today.

294life
All Star

Post by 294life » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 am

It started at 5,000 with the pre-season game against toronto and finished at 10,000 for the season finale against toronto again. Thankfully we finished second behind the seemingly invincible argos which forced our playoff game to fall the same day the band U2 had planned to play their PopMart (ugh) concert in montreal. 16,257 showed up and the rest is history. I was actually on the front row with my dad and we both got on tv that day. I wanted to go to toronto the following week but considering the outcome i'm glad i didn't make the trip, instead got to see the wwe montreal screwjob that same night at the then Bell Centre between Hart and Michaels.

Back to back memorable sundays in montreal in november 1997.