Aggos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not coming

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

cflsteve
Rookie

Re: Aggos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not com

Post by cflsteve » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 am

294life wrote:It started at 5,000 with the pre-season game against toronto and finished at 10,000 for the season finale against toronto again. Thankfully we finished second behind the seemingly invincible argos which forced our playoff game to fall the same day the band U2 had planned to play their PopMart (ugh) concert in montreal. 16,257 showed up and the rest is history. I was actually on the front row with my dad and we both got on tv that day. I wanted to go to toronto the following week but considering the outcome i'm glad i didn't make the trip, instead got to see the wwe montreal screwjob that same night at the then Bell Centre between Hart and Michaels.

Back to back memorable sundays in montreal in november 1997.
This also shows the difference in the Priority that the venues in which the teams play as not to schedule events like concerts on potential playoff games. Even Rogers Centre has set aside the two playoff weekends aside for the Argos incase they should need to host a home game. Also with all of the bad wrap that Rogers gets with the Argos they not only set aside those two weeks for CFL playoffs but gave the Argos, with no extra pay, Rogers centre to practice in during the week during their playoff run. So with baseball playoffs over by November Rogers Centre has given some courtesy at least to free up Rogers Centre for the Argos for the month of November during CFL Playoff weeks

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Argos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not com

Post by Cool » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:53 am

People at the League forum are stating they saw/heard Keith Pelley last night say that the Skydome will have natural grass in anywhere from 2-4 years. I still think it would be great for the Argonauts to play on natural grass. So nice of them to do that.

cflsteve
Rookie

Re: Argos looking to re-up lease with RC as grass is not com

Post by cflsteve » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 am

Cool wrote:People at the League forum are stating they saw/heard Keith Pelley last night say that the Skydome will have natural grass in anywhere from 2-4 years. I still think it would be great for the Argonauts to play on natural grass. So nice of them to do that.
They will be unable to play at skydome if grass is put in because of the moveing of the seats for the football setup on a regular basis. They would be able to move the seats into a football set up on occasion for the Bills game or a Grey Cup game but not for the Argos 10 times a season.

Pakalolo
Starter
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Pakalolo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm

The real problem is that the SKYDOME is perfect for the Argos, but not so perfect for the Jays.Soooo.... The Jays build their own FREAKIN' stadium,), and Neil Young moves back to Canada and churns out 3 more albums while Justin Beiber gets personalized PUKE BUCKETS... for himself and for his fans.
|The SOCCER stadium in Toronto, should be looked at by lawyers...ie BMO ...Why wasn't it CFL friendly? Hmmmmm??????
And Moxie Fruvous makes a comeback????
Carol Pope?
The Government?(Flat Tire)
BB Gabor?
The Parachute Club?
Lena Lovitz?
Sigh!!!
I went to Montreal once with friends. They said I loved St. Catherines. I still don't remember. I still wonder if I should go back?
Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional...

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Pakalolo wrote:The real problem is that the SKYDOME is perfect for the Argos, but not so perfect for the Jays.Soooo.... The Jays build their own FREAKIN' stadium,), and Neil Young moves back to Canada and churns out 3 more albums while Justin Beiber gets personalized PUKE BUCKETS... for himself and for his fans.
|The SOCCER stadium in Toronto, should be looked at by lawyers...ie BMO ...Why wasn't it CFL friendly? Hmmmmm??????
And Moxie Fruvous makes a comeback????
Carol Pope?
The Government?(Flat Tire)
BB Gabor?
The Parachute Club?
Lena Lovitz?
Sigh!!!
I went to Montreal once with friends. They said I loved St. Catherines. I still don't remember. I still wonder if I should go back?
:thup:

Ticats85
Rookie
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Ticats85 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

The Argos are about to sign a new 5 year lease with the Skydome and there are rumours flying that BMO may be getting a face lift to fit a CFL football field, also that MLSE may be interested in purchasing the Argos. I think this would be great you get a new place to play and a ownership with all the money in the world.

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:42 am

But Braley has said no offer or interest from MLSE has been extended and that the Argos are not for sale anyway. Braley is also reported to have said he is in talks with several municipalities to build a retail-commercial center with a football stadium.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

Ticats85
Rookie
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Ticats85 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:18 am

cfldave wrote:But Braley has said no offer or interest from MLSE has been extended and that the Argos are not for sale anyway. Braley is also reported to have said he is in talks with several municipalities to build a retail-commercial center with a football stadium.
I also have heard this, I personally would like to see the Argos stay within Toronto and a renovated BMO would be the cheapest option but who knows if MLSE is serious about making the necessary changes to accommodate CFL football. Either way the next couple of years are going to be very interesting in Argo land.

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am

i still prefer to see the Argos with their own home. With only 9 or so home dates they obviously need more events. A glorified soccer only stadium is not my idea of a CFL football stadium. They'll always be considered tenants. They'll obviously still need the dome for Eastern finals and GreyCups.

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes I prefer the kind of thing Braley seems to be talking about as well. Make the Argos the owners of a complex that has year round activity and provides super solid financing for the team. I'd be happy if the Argos and the CFL never played another game at Rogers.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 pm

RC will still be a prime destination for Grey Cups. It is still well kept up just like new with all of themodern amenities that will great for Grey Cups with first class suites, enclosed venue seatin 50K plus without having to add 20k bleacher seats in the end zone

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 am

We are out of a home by 2018.
Looks like the Leafs will buy the argos and they will be playing out of a new BMO stadium!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Well the model works, the Flames own the Stampeders, so it could work nicely, assuming of course Braley has a change of heart.

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:45 am

ping wrote:We are out of a home by 2018.
Looks like the Leafs will buy the argos and they will be playing out of a new BMO stadium!
I don't see anything anywhere saying this is a done deal.

cflsteve
Rookie

Post by cflsteve » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 am

Pakalolo wrote:
ping wrote:We are out of a home by 2018.
I don't see anything anywhere saying this is a done deal.
Agreed nothing right now is a done deal but current and still owner Senator Brayley has opened up his options by looking into several sites for a stadium in the Norhtern Burbs. I think the timing is right to move pro sports into the Northern Burbs of the GTA. Like the Ti Cats this area will be Argos 1st.
Playing in Toronto proper has proven to be just too crowded with Leafs and raptors during one season and Jays TFC during CFL season. The big Metro regions i North America such as NY and LA have found success in spreading out the pro franchises into different parts of the Metro regions. The York Durham region is an untapped area with plenty of population and a steady dose of pro CFL football on friday nights and saturdays or sundays will make for a nice stable schedule for fans to follow over the course of the season.