How to prevent teams from giving up a rouge intentionally

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

saskriders
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

How to prevent teams from giving up a rouge intentionally

Post by saskriders » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I posted this on the CFL.ca forum, but was interested in what others would have to say.
I would like to see teams stop giving up rouges intentionally, and instead try to return the ball instead. This way we get to see more exciting plays, and teams have to earn their point or field position.

To accomplish this I think we need to give the returning team fewer yards after a rouge. Would any teams want to risk giving up one point, and a safety, and ball possession? I don't think so, this will give them reason to go for returns.

However in some situations it would be unfair to the returning team to give up a point and get bad field position (nonreturnable ball, missed field goal could mean 3 points a possession back). Therefore, I think that the rules should be as follows.

1.If a punt or a missed field goal goes through the endzone in the air (back or sides) the kicking team is awarded 1 point, and the receiving team is given possession on their own 35 yard line.

This is no change since the return team had no chance to attempt a return.

2.If a punt or missed field goal goes through the endzone on the ground (back or sides, at least one bounce) the kicking team is awarded 1 point, and the receiving team is given possession on their own 25 yard line.

This is a slight change, since it can be hard to determine if a ball that went through the endzone after a bounce was really returnable we will take the middle ground and give the receiving team not good, or bad, but ok field position.

3.If a punt or missed field goal is not advanced out of the endzone the kicking team is awarded 1 point, and the receiving team is given possession on their own 15 yard line.

This is the biggest change. If a team makes no effort to return the ball (or a kick return coverage team makes a really good play) they don't deserve to get good field position out of it.

i believe that these rule changes would not only achieve their goal of eliminating intentionally giving up rouges, but would also have the benefits of making the punting game more important (creating offense and field position), and in turn make what has increasingly had a bigger impact on the game for the last few years (kick returns, how many TDs have we seen from them recently) even more exciting by making it vital for returners to make a good return when they are deep in their own zone.

AGENT-784
All Star

Re: How to prevent teams from giving up a rouge intentionall

Post by AGENT-784 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 pm

There is no mention of one other risk.
Injury.
CFL rosters are already limited. As a season ticket holder, I want to see the best players play. Not too excited about seeing anyone get injured on a forced play with little to no upside. Concede the point for the yardage, live to play another down.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.